Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2017 Australian National Championships

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Some very strong performances in the ladies' tonight, and I thought Giuseppe was on fire in the men's. Lots of bold risks taken.

Did you watch the ice dance, peese?
    Hey karne! Sorry for the late response. I missed the dance...fell asleep. Hope it went well. I havent checked protocals yet but was surprised Rose didn't win Junior SP yesterday! Just watched Novice Men and waiting for the ladies to start. The skaters are really upping their technical content! Love my Australian Nationals livestream every year!

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Does anyone know why the stream for Advanced Novice SP isn't up to view retrospectively? Or am I just blind? I missed the livestream as I was working, really wanted to watch though because I have a few friends in the division

Hitting the "you're too sexy" button

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by peese View Post
    Hey karne! Sorry for the late response. I missed the dance...fell asleep. Hope it went well. I havent checked protocals yet but was surprised Rose didn't win Junior SP yesterday! Just watched Novice Men and waiting for the ladies to start. The skaters are really upping their technical content! Love my Australian Nationals livestream every year!
    Mmm, I think the underrotation gremlins might have eaten a few people. Glad you're enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by iskate View Post
    Does anyone know why the stream for Advanced Novice SP isn't up to view retrospectively? Or am I just blind? I missed the livestream as I was working, really wanted to watch though because I have a few friends in the division
    I heard there were some pretty big technical problems during Advanced Novice, so that might be why.

In Coachshenko We Trust anonymoose_au's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Gasp! Brendan's about to start his short and they haven't turned the sound back on on the stream!

What music is he skating to?! I don't remember because he's changed it like three times now!

9:14pm: Oh good they've turned the sound back on. Not so good, Brendan seems to be having trouble with his jumps tonight.

9:17pm: Hmm no sign of creepy Morozov yet...perhaps that's the problem, once you go to him, you'll never jump right until he's there to voodoo you.

Oh dear 57.17 for Brendan.

Good luck to the rest of the guys!

3 Not allowed!
    It was his "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" short, but with a new music cut, new choreography and a new costume...none of which I like.

quick tl;dr on the rest of the guys:

Giuseppe: rough skate. 3T-1T*, 2Lz<< and 3A<<.
    Jordan: fantastic skate. 3T-3T, 2A and 3Lz with awkward landing/step out. Best I've seen from him. He was super happy.
    Andrew: beautiful skate, 3F-turn-3T step, 3Lz fall, 2A, but beautiful spins and steps. He was disappointed about the Lutz fall

Ryan: rough skate. 2A landed on two feet, 3T-2T, 3Lo< with messy landing.
    Charlton: really good skate, best I've seen from him. 3F-2T, 3Lz fall out, 2A messy landing. He's upped his tech.
    Mark: skate of the night. Quirky Nutcracker. 3A fall, 3Lz-2T rippon, 3F. Deserved leader.
    James: a bit tight, not quite as free as I'm used to seeing him. 3A< fall, 3F-3T, 3Lz messy step out landing.

The top five men (Mark, Andrew, James, Jordan and Brendan) are all separated by about 8 points. The free skate should get interesting.

2 Not allowed!
    Brendan had his work cut out for him today too. Landed a stunning 4T-3T in the warmup, then started off his program with...2T. Then 3S. Then 2F. And it was like, oy. But he rallied and pushed himself and landed some beautiful 3As and gorgeous 3Lzs. I thought the score was about right.

The skate of the day went to Andrew Dodds, however. He was absolutely, mesmerisingly stunning. Only popped one jump, and another wonky landing, but the rest was outstanding, and he absolutely lived within the music. I thought it well-deserved that he had the highest PCS of the day. No signs of fatigue late in the program either, in spite of this being his fourth competitive skate in four days.

Mark Webster might yet prove to be the Australian Voronov. He landed one good 3A and fell on the other, but the rest of his jumps were mostly pretty good and his programs are very good also (though sadly, less voidy than last year's - no ring tones this year).

James and Jordan both skated a bit tense and it showed up in their errors. Charlton Doherty was an absolute revelation, I hadn't seen him skate in some time and wow has he ever been working hard. He was brilliant, I was so impressed. Giuseppe showed the toll of doing both Junior and Senior.

For the ladies, Kailani of course was the star and was just about perfect (just a popped Axel in the FS). Amelia Jackson also had two very nice skates. I thought Katie Pasfield was a little off from normal but she pushed through and her performance quality remained high. I imagine Amelia might get sent out to find the TES minimums for 4CC.

Predicted 4CC team:

MEN
    Brendan Kerry
    Andrew Dodds*
    Mark Webster

LADIES
    Kailani Craine
    Brooklee Han
    Amelia Jackson**

PAIRS
    Katia Alexandrovskaya/Harley Windsor

ICE DANCE
    Chantelle Kerry/Andrew Dodds*
    Kimberley Hew-Low/Timothy McKernan

* It is my understanding that Andrew fully intends to continue as both a singles skater and a dancer. (I can understand why. He was on mega form today.)

** Pending TES.

Spectator

1 Not allowed!
    I can't find videos of yesterday's ladies' short and today's pairs', ladies' and men's free programs on Facebook. Weren't they streamed? Or they haven't been uploaded yet. Can anybody explain?

Spectator

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Brendan had his work cut out for him today too. Landed a stunning 4T-3T in the warmup, then started off his program with...2T. Then 3S. Then 2F. And it was like, oy. But he rallied and pushed himself and landed some beautiful 3As and gorgeous 3Lzs. I thought the score was about right.

The skate of the day went to Andrew Dodds, however. He was absolutely, mesmerisingly stunning. Only popped one jump, and another wonky landing, but the rest was outstanding, and he absolutely lived within the music. I thought it well-deserved that he had the highest PCS of the day. No signs of fatigue late in the program either, in spite of this being his fourth competitive skate in four days.

Mark Webster might yet prove to be the Australian Voronov. He landed one good 3A and fell on the other, but the rest of his jumps were mostly pretty good and his programs are very good also (though sadly, less voidy than last year's - no ring tones this year).

James and Jordan both skated a bit tense and it showed up in their errors. Charlton Doherty was an absolute revelation, I hadn't seen him skate in some time and wow has he ever been working hard. He was brilliant, I was so impressed. Giuseppe showed the toll of doing both Junior and Senior.

For the ladies, Kailani of course was the star and was just about perfect (just a popped Axel in the FS). Amelia Jackson also had two very nice skates. I thought Katie Pasfield was a little off from normal but she pushed through and her performance quality remained high. I imagine Amelia might get sent out to find the TES minimums for 4CC.

Predicted 4CC team:

MEN
    Brendan Kerry
    Andrew Dodds*
    Mark Webster

LADIES
    Kailani Craine
    Brooklee Han
    Amelia Jackson**

PAIRS
    Katia Alexandrovskaya/Harley Windsor

ICE DANCE
    Chantelle Kerry/Andrew Dodds*
    Kimberley Hew-Low/Timothy McKernan

* It is my understanding that Andrew fully intends to continue as both a singles skater and a dancer. (I can understand why. He was on mega form today.)

** Pending TES.
    Amelia Jackson got the LP TES at Finlandia

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by figureskaterfan1 View Post
    My understanding is that she's missing the SP TES - remembering that Senior TES must be earned at Senior events, and Junior TES must be earned as a Junior; the rule that Junior scores could be used for Senior events was scrapped two seasons ago.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by figureskaterfan1 View Post
    Looking at Jackson's short program results from Finlandia, she is still 1.66 points shy of the minimum TES.

I am guessing it won't be too long until she gets it, as she has been including the triple salchow and the triple loop in her senior short programs of late.

Spectator

1 Not allowed!
    I was very impressed with her at nationals. Although not quiet there with the triple jumps she certainly has great presence on the ice and is a very elegant skater. Seems the photographers like her too . She is also the only other junior skater with junior world TES looking at the documents. I hope they are sending her overseas for some training

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Has Brooklee Han been automatically named to the Four Continents team? Or will she have to do another event prior, to monitor if she is ready enough to compete?

I believe she withdrew from Nationals due to injury.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2