Medvedeva will speak at IOC meeting | Golden Skate

Medvedeva will speak at IOC meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearly

Record Breaker
Talk about pressure. I wonder if this will mentally affect Russian skaters in the GPF as well.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Wow, this is tough! The Olympics without Russian skaters would be something HUGE :eeking: Ladies and Pairs fields could be drammatically altered

GGFan

Record Breaker
The IOC has a very difficult and sensitive decision to make. I'm glad to see that they're trying to hear from a variety of voices on this issue.

Purv

Match Penalty
The IOC has a very difficult and sensitive decision to make. I'm glad to see that they're trying to hear from a variety of voices on this issue.

Do you think Evgenia will answer them why russians athletes are not wanted to be tested enough?

GGFan

Record Breaker
Do you think Evgenia will answer them why russians athletes are not wanted to be tested enough?

:laugh2: Ok, I read that sarcastically and found it hilarious. I always applaud shade.

No, that would not be her role. The decision is very difficult because there's government involvement. Government actors have very deep pockets and can wreak havoc on a system. We learned lessons from East Germany on that.

However, the IOC also has an interest in protecting innocent athletes. The boycotts of 1980 and 1984 taught us that we hate when innocents get caught in the middle. Reportedly the IOC is caught between: 1) making a decision like it did in 2016, which allowed a substantial percentage of athletes to compete or 2) allowing athletes from Russia to compete neutrally--with no Russian flag or anthem. People who hate cheating were not satisfied with option (1) and the Russian government has said that it will not let its athletes compete under option (2).

It sounds like the IOC and the Russian government are playing a game of chicken. Evgenia can give voice to the athletes who played no role in the conspiracy but who would be affected by the final decision.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
It is a tricky situation, but if Russia is allowed to compete, then how does it deter other countries from starting an elaborate doping plan of their own? If this was the US/Japan/China/Australia/Canadians I would feel the same way. If it were up to me, I'd probably ban them from the games to send a strong message.

Good luck Evegnia! If anyone can persuade them, I am sure she can. <3

/prepares to be very very unpopular.

GGFan

Record Breaker
It is a tricky situation, but if Russia is allowed to compete, then how does it deter other countries from starting an elaborate doping plan of their own? If this was the US/Japan/China/Australia I would feel the same way. If it were up to me, I'd probably ban them from the games to send a strong message.

This is hard!! Take Russia out of the equation and imagine the US using CIA tactics against the doping system. WADA can't win that fight. The system is meant to handle individuals and groups of individuals, not governments with limitless resources at their disposal.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Ohh, it's really difficult for me to read such a hate discourse and it's not worth answering to it.
I want to say only one thing: clean athletes who invested with honesty their energy and time in sport should not pay for what others did. And be sure that right now the Russians are clean and what's happening now it's just politics.

But then that's why they'd have the option to compete as neutral athletes. For Med's task she'll need to help convince the committee why it has to be Russia these athletes represent.

tars

Record Breaker
Damn... What a fantastic idea! She has time, she needs sth to get her competitive mind occupied, she's intelligent and communicative person, she's lovely young girl. There is no better choice, really.

Russian diplomacy is well known to be one of the best in the world, but often used in shady causes - this one time I fully support them.
Crush their hearts Zhenya! :cheer2:

GGFan

Record Breaker
But then that's why they'd have the option to compete as neutral athletes. For Med's task she'll need to help convince the committee why it has to be Russia these athletes represent.

I don't live in Russia so I cannot speak for its citizens but for some competing neutrally may not be an option at all. The government might make the decision for the athletes. But even without doing so if this is being framed as the World vs. Russia (a patriotic issue) competing neutrally might be seen as a red line.

The Olympics are very nationalistic, otherwise there wouldn't be such tight citizenship requirements, etc. This is going to controversial no matter what they decide.

madison

Record Breaker
It is a tricky situation, but if Russia is allowed to compete, then how does it deter other countries from starting an elaborate doping plan of their own? If this was the US/Japan/China/Australia/Canadians I would feel the same way. If it were up to me, I'd probably ban them from the games to send a strong message.

/prepares to be very very unpopular.

I don't have a in-depth view of this entire situation, but were the allegations that there was a state conducted plan of doping really proved?
And if a country could do that means that the entire system is broken, cause, in my opinion, the system should have tools to prevent and control the situation before something illegal happens

madison

Record Breaker

What about the team event? Would they be able to participate in? Cause it would be unfair not to...

GGFan

Record Breaker
I don't have a depth view of this entire situation, but were the allegations that there was a state conducted plan of doping really proved?
And if a country could do that means that the entire system is broken, cause, in my opinion, the system should have tools to prevent and control the situation before something illegal happens

We're doing some speculating here but if we're going off the NY Times article, the Russian scientist had very detailed contemporaneous notes implicating officials all the way up to the current Deputy Prime Minister. These kind of notes (with everyday life details included) are highly probative and the reporting on the matter is that the IOC does not believe the notes were falsified.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I don't live in Russia so I cannot speak for its citizens but for some competing neutrally may not be an option at all. The government might make the decision for the athletes. But even without doing so if this is being framed as the World vs. Russia (a patriotic issue) competing neutrally might be seen as a red line.

The Olympics are very nationalistic, otherwise there wouldn't be such tight citizenship requirements, etc. This is going to controversial no matter what they decide.

But then what does that say about the government who then takes away the opportunity for these clean athletes to compete?

Status
Not open for further replies.