Andrew Torgashev | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Andrew Torgashev

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, our Andrew T. has his pocket of fervent admirers. :agree:

Along with all other Andrew fans, I don't know what happened to his jumps last year, but I hope they happen to come back. I like to think that Andrew's dynamic FP last year contributed in some small way to Scott Brown winning the Choreo of the Year award.

Happy Birthday, Andrew:hb:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Andrew skated to Roxanne again for his FS at Broadmoor Open.

(Not a good jumping day for Andrew. :( :ghug:)

Scores hard to read, but something like TES 55.36 + PCS 70.40 - 2.00 = 123.76? SP score 71.something? and Total score 194.something?

After his FS, he was in 3rd(?) place, with Jimmy Ma still left to skate.

ETA (on Jun 27):

To be exact, Andrew's Broadmoor Open scores: 71.18 SP; 123.76 FS; and 194.94 total. Third in SP; third in FS; third overall. (Senior Men.)

Andrew placed fourth in Peggy Fleming Trophy.

Sixth in Aerial Challenge.​

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Roxanne, I looooove :love: that program.
Could he possible be keeping it?:yahoo:

Oh Andrew, get those jumps together:ghug:

s_parks

Record Breaker
It looks like he's officially moved to Krall, which is good news, since his jumps are the main concern. That axel is really worrying though. It takes time to fix technique but hopefully Krall can do good work on that 3A (and the quads) and we can see visible improvement by this year. And that roxanne stsq, I die. So good. If he weren't representing the US a change to ice dance would be interesting.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yes, Andrew did finally officially confirm the move!

http://figureskatersonline.com/andrewtorgashev/some-big-changes/

I can't figure out why Andrew has lost jumps he once had; I'm not a big fan of jump a jump jump, but even I say you need to have some;) If Christy helps Andrew with that, she's :agree: with me.

I can only think the big injury put a dent in his confidence and planted some doubts... the timing especially was unfortunate, as it was when guys his age were developing harder jumps, advancing technically. I also heard he doesn't do enough run-throughs? Hopefully Christy can change that as well.

Kudos to all his parents have done thus far, though. Some coaches should seriously give them a call to put on a clinic for skating skills.

shine

Record Breaker
The jumps weren't there, but gosh, that's a beautiful performance. The way this kid skates. :cry: He's one of those rare skaters that can move me to tears with the abandon, openness and musicality he skates with, even when the program itself is sometimes subpar.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew T.’s strengths shine through again, even when he struggles on the jumps. And skating a program that means so much to him as well (dedicated to the shooting victims at Parkland, where he lived in Florida).

I love the Roxanne LP so much, (yes, even though it’s Roxanne) let’s hope he skates it to its fullest:hap10:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Lighting all the candles for Andrew's jumps...c'mon, force those judges to give you high pcs!

Flyflybutterfly

Rinkside
Hello,

I really like his new short program. He skates so beautiful! what a pity that jumps, so fight for it boy! I also like his costume very much, he always looks so elegant, he is so smart on ice.

I`m not an expert on skating but I guess he is scared of jumpimg or if he is not secure at all he can do it, I don't know. I wish the best to him. :cheer2:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t know why Andrew struggles with his jumps now, but he does, and I am lighting candles too that he regains them. As most everyone knows, I could care less about how many quads you hit, but even I admit you need to hit your triples.

I do love that Roxanne LP so much and I just want to see it skated the way I know Andrew can skate it:hap10:

zebobes

Final Flight
Congrats to Andrew for winning his first JGP! Even though it was a messy win, I think it was a huge step forward for Andrew.

I know that some people look down on this men's event, as it wasn't very high scoring, and the medalists made a lot of mistakes, but if you look at the trajectory of this season, so far Andrew has been slowly building. If he uses the next few months well to heal (His hand appears injured, perhaps from a bad fall on a 3A?) and stabilize his jumps, I think he can do really well at the JGP Final.

Of course, we need to wait and see if he qualifies... a 1st and a 4th is a little risky, but he's given himself a good chance to make it. (better than the 2nd and 4th he used to qualify last year, thanks to Matteo taking up a gold without having enough points to qualify, making it possible for Andrew to make it)

s_parks

Record Breaker
Well, I suppose I am biased, being his fan, but I can't agree on torgashev being overscored. The jumps were messy, yes, and he got the GOEs reflecting that. And for the actual level of SS he (objectively) posesses his pcs was quite fair to his performance- 6-7 is overscoring Andrew now? And he actually brought it performance-wise, especially in the 2nd half, so...
I hope Andrew can catch a break with his injuries, and most importantly find his confidence. Fixing his jump technique and gaining consistency on them will take time and hopefully Krall can make it happen.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, of course I'm biased too, but

:yahoo: Andrew!

No way in heck was Andrew overscored. That dynamite St Seq deserves every point, and in fact, as far as I'm concerned, deserves even more :) And the great thing about the men's discipline is that 1st and 4th might just make it to JGPF, so fingers crossed:pray:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Well, of course I'm biased too, but

:yahoo: Andrew!

No way in heck was Andrew overscored. That dynamite St Seq deserves every point, and in fact, as far as I'm concerned, deserves even more :) And the great thing about the men's discipline is that 1st and 4th might just make it to JGPF, so fingers crossed:pray:

Seriously, are we still pretending Andrew's SS are in the same dimension as the others just because he's about the same age...just no.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I updated the OP to include Andrew's Kaunas skates, and I loved this interview with Ted Barton. Andrew knows what he has to do, but he's happy with what he's finally done.

And I :luv17: Ted even more: "I've been waiting a long time to have this interview [as the winner of the comp] with Andrew"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZbzjBoW26g

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:hap93:
:hap93:

It was touch and go after the first GP’s 4th place finish, but now it’s confirmed, Andrew is in the JGP Final.

And I’m really liking the line-up in total, although I usually do with the junior men:clap: