Stars On Ice 2018 Tour - US | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice 2018 Tour - US

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Shibs have been just as busy as Adam. They joke about the fact they can have a week where they're in a different city everyday. They've had press interviews and been at various events also. And they are probably not getting much sleep either. Anyone notice a difference in their skating skills?

While the Shibs have been busy not nearly as busy as Adam ot that I am defending Adam. Training for DWTS is really tough and Adam has had more media to do things that the Shib sibs. But it doesn't matter; he still has to perform.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
honestly, they just all seem busy to me. It wasn’t meant as a statement of who wins the “most busiest” competition. My point is that all are busy and likely lack sleep or time to chill out. And if the Shibs seem sloppy as a result to some, then fine.

Anyone else want to air out any other SOI performer grievances? :laugh: I mean in that one video Jason’s cartwheel looked terrible and he has no excuse! He didn’t go to Olympics or Worlds and got to go on vacation!!!! Just kidding.

Last edited:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I think Adam’s schedule is the most physically exhausting of any of the skaters.

I think there’s something in the show to appeal to everyone’s tastes - but not every skater or performance is going to be everyone’s favorite.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Going to concerts and movie premieres is voluntary ...

And it was Adam's voluntary choice to accept DWTS. Same for Mirai.

An excellent opportunity for both, but no one was forcing them to accept DWTS.

honestly, they just all seem busy to me. It wasn’t meant as a statement of who wins the “most busiest” competition. My point is that all are busy and likely lack sleep or time to chill out. ...

:agree: Well said, Mrs. P.

I think it is exciting that both the Shibs and Adam have full plates: honors, appearances for good causes, interviews/other media/social media, other invitations, etc. From what I can tell, they are happy with taking on as much as they have -- sleep deprivation :bed:, nonstop travel, and all.

(Attending SOI is not my thing, so I do not have an opinion as to what would or would not satisfy me as an audience member.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
honestly, they just all seem busy to me. It wasn’t meant as a statement of who wins the “most busiest” competition. My point is that all are busy and likely lack sleep or time to chill out.

My point was there are so many factors and it's a show, why be petty and come here and complain that the skaters aren't in top shape? We wanted them in top shape for the Olympics and I think we can say that Adam and the Shibs delivered at that level.
To me, the rest, is just promoting skater bashing and fan wars...and I was surprised to see it happening, even if it's not as intense as in other threads, in this particular thread... Stars on Ice is a priori a celebration of our skaters... I mean... I get to see Elvis and Jeff... I am not expecting Elvis to land quads ... though last time I saw him competing he did land them.... should I express my grievance in the Canadian SOI thread? :rofl:

YMMV

georgia

On the Ice
The Shibs have been just as busy as Adam. They joke about the fact they can have a week where they're in a different city everyday. They've had press interviews and been at various events also. And they are probably not getting much sleep either. Anyone notice a difference in their skating skills?

But they don’t do Dancing with the Stars. Big difference. Also Adam’s popularity is tremendous in the non skating world.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Except most people don't get the luxury of watching all the shows and seeing a skater on a "better" night. People are simply sharing their impressions and I also don't see the point of making a big deal if someone came away less than impressed with a certain skater.

El Henry said she didn't care for the Shibs' Coldplay number. I don't think she's petty for sharing that. She did come away impressed with Davis and White.

De gustibus and all that jazz.

:agree: Two more cents from me:

It seems perfectly natural to me that different audience members would have different expectations of SOI.

Some ticket-buyers are investing time and money also to travel large distances (even by plane, in some cases). Perhaps they are paying for overnight accommodations too.

Some ticket-buyers have never had a chance to attend a competition including Skaters X and/or Y and/or Z -- and would appreciate whatever competition-level content and quality that would be possible at SOI.

Etc., etc.

If we were talking about an ice show that were a fundraiser for the benefit of a charitable cause, I hope that everyone would be willing to cut all skaters a lot of slack for donating their time and talents.

But AFAIK, SOI is a for-profit commercial operation.
The skaters receive a paycheck for their services.
Performing for SOI is a job commitment -- no matter what other unrelated jobs/responsibilities that skaters have chosen to take on.
(DWTS is another example of a job. Representing a sponsor's brand is another job. Etc., etc.)

Different audience members should be allowed to have different opinions on how skaters do their job for SOI.

If I purchased a ticket to attend a musical on Broadway -- with the knowledge that the star was exhausted from squeezing in rehearsing/shooting for an unrelated TV series -- would I cut the star some slack for not quite hitting a high note? Or for stumbling over some choreography in a dance number? Or for missing a cue? Or for forgetting a line?
I would be entitled to my reaction, and others would be entitled to theirs.​

ETA/FWIW:

Some SOI audience members bought their tickets well before the DWTS cast even was announced.
When handing over their money, some SOI ticket-buyers could not have had the knowledge that Adam and Mirai would be juggling DWTS and SOI.​

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist

So what are you trying to say? It's just Adam because Adam sucks??

We get it, you don't care for Adam but c'mon.

And somehow you've magically seen every SOI show so far and know for a fact that the Shibs have not had slight mess ups or maybe a fall??

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I’m almost certain all the skaters have had at least a small stumble or mess up - just the nature of live performance.

My favorite Nathan even stumbled and fell in Back From the Edge at one show.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So what are you trying to say? It's just Adam because Adam sucks??

We get it, you don't care for Adam but c'mon.

And somehow you've magically seen every SOI show so far and know for a fact that the Shibs have not had slight mess ups or maybe a fall??

My point that Adam shouldn’t get some sort of special dispensation because he is so much busier than everyone else. Everyone is busy — and I point out the Shibs because they have been going non stop as well — and probably all lacking sleep or time to chill or something. But If the Shibs made a mistake or looked not great (and Ic3Rabbit thinks they’ve been sloppy) I’m not going to go and try to defend them cause that’s their opinion. And I also wasn’t claiming that the Shibs were perfect.

People who paid to see Adam and weren’t impressed are entitled to state their opinion. Same with any skater on SOI.

For the record, I look forward to seeing Adam SP when I go to SOI cause he does perform it well and I enjoyed it at Nationals for that reason.

ETA: In general, I'm just pro "let people share their reviews of SOI." I don't want people to feel discouraged form sharing their experiences. I valued el henry's SOI review even though she didn't like the Shibs' Coldplay number -- and I'm not going to say to el that on hey, your opinion isn't valid because the Shibs are exhausted and made mistakes because of it. But el henry DID like the Shibs' "That's Life number" while others didn't. Everyone has had really different reviews of SOI and I like reading them.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My point that Adam shouldn’t get some sort of special dispensation because he is so much busier than everyone else. Everyone is busy — and I point out the Shibs because they have been going non stop as well — and probably all lacking sleep or time to chill or something. But If the Shibs made a mistake or looked not great (and Ic3Rabbit thinks they’ve been sloppy) I’m not going to go and try to defend them cause that’s their opinion. And I also wasn’t claiming that the Shibs were perfect.

People who paid to see Adam and weren’t impressed are entitled to state their opinion. Same with any skater on SOI.

For the record, I look forward to seeing Adam SP when I go to SOI cause he does perform it well and I enjoyed it at Nationals for that reason.

ETA: In general, I'm just pro "let people share their reviews of SOI." I don't want people to feel discouraged form sharing their experiences. I valued el henry's SOI review even though she didn't like the Shibs' Coldplay number -- and I'm not going to say to el that on hey, your opinion isn't valid because the Shibs are exhausted and made mistakes because of it. But el henry DID like the Shibs' "That's Life number" while others didn't. Everyone has had really different reviews of SOI and I like reading them.

The reason I mentioned the Shibs and Coldplay is because I was looking forward to it so much, and it's not like I wanted my money back:laugh: I thought they performed "That's Life" with gusto, and I was particularly impressed by Alex, he's quite the showman as well. Not that I like showmen on ice or anything;)

Word to the wise about the Shibs, they were still playing to the judges, and my seats were not on the judge's side:( Both ending poses faced the other side, so if you can figure out what side that is before you buy the tickets, :agree:

And I agree with those who have commented that other commitments may be an explanation for a rough skate, but it's not an excuse. As to Adam in particular, his skating level just wasn't the equal of the others at the show I saw. Adam fell, two footed, and hands down a landing; none of the other men did all three. In fact, neither Jason nor Nathan fell. That said, that wasn't why I was watching Adam and I would say 3/4 of the crazy screamers for Adam at "my" show didn't care. Again, I didn't ask for my money back:biggrin:

Would that mean that someone would be *wrong* for caring, for pointing it out, or saying they were disappointed? Or that they're a hater:unsure:

That would be also be a no:noshake:

classicalfan

Rinkside
Adam's also been going non stop and completely exhausted when it comes to life in general. He sleeps 3 hours a night if he's lucky!

The set up for the boys' number was bad, they should have had two by two men instead of the formation that had the 3 in the back, Adam also couldn't move well between Jason and Nathan: Being in the middle of a line especially when you're the tallest (of those three) makes it hard to move.

Honestly I don't think that's the reason. I like Adam but I need to say that his basic skills are always not good. As shine mentioned, I also felt his turns somewhat labored. I watched the Nationals live this year, and Adam skated just before Jason in SP. That comparison, was, so obvious. He presented himself by 'poses' but Jason by skating skills. That's the difference.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Honestly I don't think that's the reason. I like Adam but I need to say that his basic skills are always not good. As shine mentioned, I also felt his turns somewhat labored. I watched the Nationals live this year, and Adam skated just before Jason in SP. That comparison, was, so obvious. He presented himself by 'poses' but Jason by skating skills. That's the difference.

When you talk to him and he tells you this, yeah it is the reason, argue about it all to thee hearts content but this is the real deal. The man is a zombie right now and doesn't deserve the nitpicking.

classicalfan

Rinkside
When you talk to him and he tells you this, yeah it is the reason, argue about it all to thee hearts content but this is the real deal. The man is a zombie right now, can we leave it alone now?

I don't think we criticize the quality of his performance or programs. We just post our opinions and impression from the SOI experience. There could be some comparison, it is not to say he is bad, just not as good as someone outstanding. Having watched skating for so long, I am confident about my ability to tell the difference between not-that-good skating skills and tiredness.

My opinions here. I am done.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And being a former elite skater, I think I know the difference between tiredness on muscles, etc and sucking at SS.:coffee: YMMV.

shine

Record Breaker
With all due respect, not everyone has to be an elite skater to see the difference between good ss vs so-so ss vs bad ss. Years of watching figure skating also gives you that ability.

Also, not to say this is related to anyone's skating skills or is it related to my original review, but I don't think having other committments is an excuse for subpar performances in general? I mean skaters are being paid to perform in shows and obligated to do a good job - this itself is also an important committment.

classicalfan

Rinkside
Many fans could tell who is the better musician in concerts while a lot of players could have little sense of how good OR bad they are. That's the same for skating. If you ask anyone else to compare Adam and Jason in skating skills, I would bet on the win on Jason. The artistry could be different things for different people, but I doubt calling poses as good skating or artistry.

I was just in favor of shine's comments.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
With all due respect, not everyone has to be an elite skater to see the difference between good ss vs so-so ss vs bad ss. Years of watching figure skating also gives you that ability.

Also, not to say this is related to anyone's skating skills, but I don't think having other committments is an excuse for subpar performances in general? I mean skaters are being paid to perform in shows and obligated to do a good job - this itself is also an important committment.

Yes, but disregarding that expertise because one is a "long time fan" who may have never touched blades to ice is another thing. And if we're going by the no other events and commitments standards. SOI would have never had Lysacek, D/W in their Gold Olympic winning year.

MRani

On the Ice
Guys, it’s fine if some people aren’t impressed with Adam’s skating. We don’t need to defend him. A lot of people won’t enjoy him just because they don’t like his skating in general, whether he skates well or not, and that’s fine! We all have our own tastes and reasons for why we connect with some skaters over others. If we’re honest, those people probably bought their tickets to see other skaters anyway. I’m sure Adam’s fans and those people who went specifically to see him were happy enough to experience his skating live and enjoyed his performances just fine, and that’s good enough.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I’m looking forward to reading reports from this weekend’s shows. I welcome all comments including that the Shibs can’t twizzle, that Jason’s Russian spilts are boring and that Davis and White should never use scarf props.

And all the positive reviews too. :biggrin: