Stars On Ice 2018 Tour - US | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice 2018 Tour - US

classicalfan

Rinkside
Guys, it’s fine if some people aren’t impressed with Adam’s skating. We don’t need to defend him. A lot of people won’t enjoy him just because they don’t like his skating in general, whether he skates well or not, and that’s fine! We all have our own tastes and reasons for why we connect with some skaters over others. If we’re honest, those people probably bought their tickets to see other skaters anyway. I’m sure Adam’s fans and those people who went specifically to see him were happy enough to experience his skating live and enjoyed his performances just fine, and that’s good enough.

That's true. We can have our tastes.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... And if we're going by the no other events and commitments standards. SOI would have never had Lysacek, D/W in their Gold Olympic winning year.

AFAIK, no one in this thread has taken a hard-line position that skaters who made a commitment to SOI should not be allowed to take on other commitments?

I have not seen any such posts.

What some of us basically have said is that if an SOI performer is juggling a heavy schedule of voluntary commitments (such as DWTS and/or charitable events and/or other things) in addition to SOI, then reasonable people can disagree as to how much -- or little -- they are willing to adjust their expectations of the skater's SOI performance.

IMO, no one should be called "petty" (not your word, Ic3Rabbit, but someone else's) for wanting to see great (subjective term) skating from some of the very best in the U.S.
YMMV.

classicalfan

Rinkside
Yes, but disregarding that expertise because one is a "long time fan" who may have never touched blades to ice is another thing. And if we're going by the no other events and commitments standards. SOI would have never had Lysacek, D/W in their Gold Olympic winning year.

Oh come on, how did you know we are not skating? We didn't say that because we didn't need to use something as elite skaters or 'titles' to defend our comments. We are just sharing our opinions. If you think that is something of no expertise, it is fine. Even for those who are competing at international stages, it is possible that they dont have good taste of artistry and the use of blades. So-called Expertise is fallacy sometimes.

From my perspective, I enjoyed Nathan, D/W and shibs the most. The musicality and emotion was just stunning; no doubt, skating skills and energy as well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so why not focus on what you enjoyed and being a good fellow and avoid bringing negativity into this thread... didn't your mother tell you to not open your mouth if you had nothing nice to say? ;)

shine

Record Breaker
so why not focus on what you enjoyed and being a good fellow and avoid bringing negativity into this thread... didn't your mother tell you to not open your mouth if you had nothing nice to say? ;)

But I never knew only positive comments were allowed for show skating? :confused: People watch and people have opinions and make comments accordingly, since when was this a new thing or a big deal?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This is the internet and you don't want negativity:laugh2:

In my tl;dr review I gave good, I gave disappointing (for me), and I highly recommended going to SOI.

I certainly don't mind someone saying my opinion is not worth the pixels it's written with, because they saw Skater X and their blade work was lovely, their edges were clean, not a sound to be heard over the music, every jump landed, etc. etc. I may disagree, I may argue, I may say that's not what I saw. That's how I roll:biggrin: At least it's a conversation.

Someone who says that my opinion is less valid because they know more than me? No other backup? Ya rite :rolleye: That's the kind of negativity I can do without....;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But I never knew only positive comments were allowed for show skating? :confused: People watch and people have opinions and make comments accordingly, since when was this a new thing or a big deal?

i think there is plenty of negativity said around skaters all year long ... I was an idiot to think that people would like to take a break in bringing their negativity to a show thread....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is the internet and you don't want negativity:laugh2:

In my tl;dr review I gave good, I gave disappointing (for me), and I highly recommended going to SOI.

I certainly don't mind someone saying my opinion is not worth the pixels it's written with, because they saw Skater X and their blade work was lovely, their edges were clean, not a sound to be heard over the music, every jump landed, etc. etc. I may disagree, I may argue, I may say that's not what I saw. That's how I roll:biggrin: At least it's a conversation.

Someone who says that my opinion is less valid because they know more than me? No other backup? Ya rite :rolleye: That's the kind of negativity I can do without....;)

look el henry ;) we have known each other for a long time... virtually.... and i am willing to take the cane for this... but i hate jason's skating.. there.. said it... are you happy i have expressed myself truly?

I don't think that mentioning my dislike, and it is not a shallow one but one that is deeply based on sportive and artistic characteristics, is constructive... did you have a clue? maybe you did... but try finding posts from me dissing Jason? good luck... if there are some in the 14000 + posts I have made, they may have come out of drunkenness ;)

I am not hoping for a unicorns and rainbows forum but I believe that people could save themselves a few typed words if they simply chose not to be negative in some occasions... for instance, in show threads... which technically interest folks who enjoy the sports entertainment side... not just the competitive side of it...

YMMV

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
look el henry ;) we have known each other for a long time... virtually.... and i am willing to take the cane for this... but i hate jason's skating.. there.. said it... are you happy i have expressed myself truly?

I don't think that my dislike and it is not a shallow one but one that is deeply based on sportive and artistic characteristics, is constructive... did you have a clue? maybe you did... but try finding posts from me dissing Jason? good luck... if there are some in the 14000 + posts I have made, they may have come out of drunkenness ;)

I am not hoping for a unicorns and rainbows forum but I believe that people could save themselves a few typed words if they simply chose not to be negative in some occasions... for instance, in show threads... which technically interest folks who enjoy the sports entertainment side... not just the competitive side of it...

YMMV

Drunk from Patrick’s wine:laugh:

I understand what you are saying, and I think we agree more than we disagree ( on the tenor of posts, certainly not on the unsurpassed performance skills of Jason ;) ). In any event, I hope you enjoy Canadian SOI as much I enjoyed the American one.:)

w4300

Rinkside
All I know is I am beyond excited to be going on Sunday and seeing ALL the skaters. I am sure I will be well entertained and if not, oh well, skaters are humans too and on any given day may not shine as brightly as usual.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All I know is I am beyond excited to be going on Sunday and seeing ALL the skaters. I am sure I will be well entertained and if not, oh well, skaters are humans too and on any given day may not shine as brightly as usual.

I thought it was a highly entertaining show and I’m sure you’ll have a great time:clap:
I hope you will post to tell us what you thought:agree:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
there are so many factors that could explain that one skater "appears" to be weaker than another one in a show at this time of the year.... and I would bet that on another night, it might be a different skater who doesn't look as good as the other two... I am amazed that some are so quick to judge on one performance of a show.... I find that rather petty. I mean... it's a show... let's enjoy it for what it is?

I don't either, but it seems Adam is being singled out and I don't get it.
I've seen fan cams from SOI where Mirai and Ashley fell, Nathan stumbled out of a jump, The Great and Holy Jason popped a jump and yet Adams flaws keep coming up.
It's just disappointing.

shine

Record Breaker
I don't either, but it seems Adam is being singled out and I don't get it.
I've seen fan cams from SOI where Mirai and Ashley fell, Nathan stumbled out of a jump, The Great and Holy Jason popped a jump and yet Adams flaws keep coming up.
It's just disappointing.
For the last time, this is a review of the stop *I* went to and I'm giving my PERSONAL opinion of what *I* saw. I'm not writing a review for all the SOI vids that are being posted on YouTube or am I trying to give a summary of all the comments that are out there. You can also feel free to write a glorifying review for Adam and I'm sure many people will enjoy.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For the sake of discussion, I went back and read the SOI reviews. The sample size is SMALL -- about half a dozen --- so it's tough to make definite statements. But all the reviews, on the whole, about the show overall was POSITIVE -- that people enjoyed it, that they were entertained and all that.

The negative comments were actually minimal -- we're talking one or two contrasting a otherwise positive list of comments. And actually all the skaters except for Jason, Ashley and Meryl and Charlie got at least one negative comment..

Some conclusions I drew from the reviews with the caveat that I only had six reviews to work with, so this should not be seen as a universal viewpoint of SOI or the skaters in it since the sample size is SMALL.
1.) People ARE actually being pretty positive for the most part
2.) Adam did NOT get all negative comments. In fact, he only got 2 negative comments, so a 1/3. Mirai, Shibs, Karen and Bradie all got the same number of comments. Nathan and H/D got one. But none of the comments were all completely negative -- there was at least some positive contrast (i.e. good audience reaction, liked one program but hated the other, nice element or something they enjoyed in that skater).
3.) The one thing that actually got relatively universally canned (and again small sample size) was the Shape of You number, but that was directed at the program, not skaters--so I guess it's a negative comment toward Jeff Buttle? (no man's perfect. :laugh:)
Just FWIW.

Based on these reviews and the ones I read elsewhere, this show overall got way more rave reviews compared to the 2014 edition. It actually made me excited for the show I'm going to!

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Something I did not think of which perhaps we can all agree on...

Ashley’s and Madi’s IG stories today show Jason rolling in joy on the ice. Ashley says, we are basically on Stanley Cup ice and it is *so smooth*...

Whatever we think of the Pens or any of the other teams, it would be nice if SOI always had Stanley Cup ice:)

OutsideEdge

Rinkside
I'd just like to add that my comment about being "underwhelmed" by Adam at my show was not meant to be taken as a knock on him personally. I like him as a skater and think he performed well, all things considered. I just didn't have the giddy reaction to it I expected. Maybe it was because he was a touch lower energy than I've seen him in the past and not challenging himself much (both of which are understandable). Maybe those particular programs just didn't translate in person for me as well as I'd thought. Maybe it was for no particular reason at all and and it just didn't fit my mood that day. Who knows! It doesn't affect my opinion of him as a skater at all. I don't think an ice show at the end of a long season is a great place to make sweeping judgement about someone's skating quality anyway.

That Shape of You program was still awkward, though. :p

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'd just like to add that my comment about being "underwhelmed" by Adam at my show was not meant to be taken as a knock on him personally. I like him as a skater and think he performed well, all things considered. I just didn't have the giddy reaction to it I expected. Maybe it was because he was a touch lower energy than I've seen him in the past and not challenging himself much (both of which are understandable). Maybe those particular programs just didn't translate in person for me as well as I'd thought. Maybe it was for no particular reason at all and and it just didn't fit my mood that day. Who knows! It doesn't affect my opinion of him as a skater at all. I don't think an ice show at the end of a long season is a great place to make sweeping judgement about someone's skating quality anyway.

That Shape of You program was still awkward, though. :p

Thanks for that addition. And yeah, that was my point--reading the reviews over, what could be perceived weren't really like "negative" comments like "This skater sucks so bad." But just mostly comments of how one felt/reacted to a performance.

By the way, welcome to Golden Skate. Keep posting often and long!

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I went to the show tonight.

Karen- Lutz was very off. Both programs had scary falls. Landed 3flip and 2axel (between both programs). Gorgeous spirals. She wasn’t that expressive but I love the way she skates. Especially was taken with her “Never Enough” Program.

Mirai- so charismatic in these programs. Jumps were spot on today. All jumps looked secure. Hit two triple flips, a triple loop, two triple toe loops, I think she also did a double axel but I don’t remember. Anyways, another thing I noticed was how fast her spins are. Especially her layback is gorgeous.

Bradie- Bradie surprisingly fell on a triple loop in her Cinderella program. Bradie was fast and her spins are also impressive. (Not as flexible positions as Mirai but the speed is commendable) She landed triple loop in a group number, triple sal, two double axels between all her programs, and another triple loop in her “This is me” Program. She certainly needs to work on her expressiveness and such but I thought it really wasn’t bad. I don’t get the sometimes overwhelming amount of hate she receives.

Ashley- Ashley landed her jumps today (double axels, triple loop, triple flip) and they looked pretty good. She of course performs well. Something I did notice was how significantly slower her spins were. Especially compared to the above ladies mentioned. It doesn’t matter much because she is stepping away from competing for now but yeah. The spins were just a bit of surprise for me.

Nathan- Quad toe in a show!!!! I was shocked and excited. Could work a bit on performing more outwardly but his spins were great and he had some cool “show moves”. That quad toe was pretty spectacular.

Adam- He preforms!!!! He landed his stuff here but also attempted “easier” jumps. (3flip, 3sals, 2a). Crowd went absolutely nuts for him. He loves it and thrives on that attention. Best performance imo. Layback spin is insanely fast. How he does that, I’ll never know.

Jason- Poor guy sprained his ankle the night before. He still performed to the best of his ability and was a pleasure to watch. No jumps attempted understandably. Get better soon Jason!❤️

Shibs/Hubbell and Donohue/Davis and White - I don’t know much about ice dance but I enjoyed their programs

w4300

Rinkside
So, I attended yesterday's show as well and have to say that I enjoyed every minute of it!! I felt so bad for Jason when he came out and apologized for not performing (in his words) up to par. Until I thought about it later, I never even noticed that he didn't jump. He is such a joy to watch.

Adam was electric. I was lucky enough to be only four rows from the ice so I was able to witness his sass at close up range. Mirai was so into both of her performances. She was great! I felt bad for Bradie who did fall in her Cinderella program. I am sure she wanted to be perfect for her home town folks. Everything else was good. Loved her spins and I thought she performed well. Loved all the ice dancers. How can I forget Ashley. She was amazing. I loved both of her performances. She pays so much attention to detail.

Overall it was a great afternoon and probably one of my favorite SOIs that I have attended.

georgia

On the Ice
Chicago show as I saw it
Quick report from the first half in Chicago...the boy is killing it. So much passion . Quad toe was just amazing!
Ashley is phenomenal! Like a totally different skater.
Adam looks more than fine.
Jason did not attempt any jumps. I hope he is ok.
Audience went crazy when Adam was announced. But then they got crazier after Nathan skated!
Second half
Nemesis was perfect! Smooth like butter. Perfection and Amazing ..
I am a little disappointed with the dance teams. I mean, they just came back from the OG. Why they don’t skate with their heart, and out of their comfort zone?
Mirai had some sweet moments. She is introduced as the triple axel queen. The couple next to me went nuts every time she landed a jump, thinking they witness the triple axel miracle..lol
I thought Bradie looked more refined and into it compare to Nationals.Of course she skated in front of a home crowd.
Both Bradie and Karen had falls.
Nathan skates, like he doesn’t want to miss a moment, and he is using his time to practice too. Why else he takes chances with quads in small ice surrounded by people in chairs? He will come out of SOI more mature as a skater, and with spins to die for.
I loved the closing number and the boys number.
I wrote about queen Ashley, Adam and Jason already( I hope he will be ok soon).
Go and see the show. I usually never go to ice shows but this year you can really see some decent skating, even quads..