Spring Break and Summer Camp Options? | Golden Skate

Spring Break and Summer Camp Options?

fenstr

Spectator
Hello all!
I am looking/curious on suggestions for camps/training which are good for recreationally competitive skaters for spring break and summer time. Think 14-16 year olds working on getting consistent on all doubles and starting 2 axel, 3 sal and 3 toe. While places like Colorado Springs and Southern California are great options for the more elite/serious athlete - I am interested in areas that won't be emotionally deflating (as they aren't Olympic bound athletes and are aware of that) - but some please that as quality coaches, lots of ice-time, off-ice and dance training (all located in the same place). We are located in the PNW area and are willing to travel within North America. Thanks for the positive suggestions!

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Mennen Arena in NJ has a summer skate camp for skaters who have a single axel or higher:
http://m66.siteground.biz/~morrispa/assets/images/PDFs/Mennen/2018_Figure_Skating_Camp.pdf

My daughter is thinking of doing that one this year.

I've heard good things about the camps at Lake Placid, so definately look at those as well.

Oleg Makarov and Larisa Selezneva, Olympic Bronze medalists in pairs, run summer camps out of Ice Time in Newburgh, NY, which is their main rink. They don't tend to be all that social media/web savvy, so they don't have any info up on the rink website about this right now (and probably won't until pretty close to the actual camp dates), but if interested, you can contact them. Here's a flyer they did for their last clinic, which has an email you can use on it:
http://www.icetimesports.org/skating-camps-clinics.php

They also teach at Lake Placid. They also tend to run camps/clinics during some school break periods. However, there's no real ice dance coaching at this rink that I've seen. However x2, you're also in ice dance land, so you can easily arrange/go down to other rinks that are within about an hour of this one, and get very high quality ice dance coaching.

Here's one I've heard good things about at Skylands, in NJ:
http://skylandsiceworldnj.com/skating-academy/summer-camps/

My ice dance coach coaches at that one, or has in the past.

cl2

Final Flight
Do they teach how to be awesome while picking bugs out of the ice as well? :laugh: :rofl2:

(not sure if it's even the same rink, but that moment was so strange I had to link it :p)

LOL... I didn't realize it was bugs that Adam was picking! I'm sure all the competitors have to pass a bug picking test beforehand. ;)

The facility has 3 rinks, so I'm not sure if the camp is conducted on that rink, though there's a good chance it is. When I did the Adult Skating Camp last summer, we used the 1980 rink and USA rink.

fenstr

Spectator
You guys rock, thank you all so much for the info. I greatly appreciate it! I can never seem to find the less "known" camps, until right before the camps start, making planning and travel challenging. I would love to keep hearing about rinks/clubs/coaches that/whom offer camps/summer training for non-elite athletes. Thanks again everyone!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have to agree with Tavi. Definitely Grassroots.

Also, you are more than likely going to have to go to a well known training area w/in No America to get the kind of well rounded experience you are looking for.
That doesn't mean the kid has to have the skill set or want to be an elite athlete.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice

I actually have been looking for adult seminars too! Mariposa in Barrie Ontario Canada offers a yearly seminar in June and adults are welcome but will be mixed in with the kids. It's not adult only, which kind of turns me off but I may still go. I'm undecided. It's a great week long seminar.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I actually have been looking for adult seminars too! Mariposa in Barrie Ontario Canada offers a yearly seminar in June and adults are welcome but will be mixed in with the kids. It's not adult only, which kind of turns me off but I may still go. I'm undecided. It's a great week long seminar.

I know what an adult seminar is. The smily was because I was trying to determine what they were exactly asking with the jumbled writing.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Ic3rabbit, sorry I accidentally replied to your comment and now I can't delete it. Sorry! I meant to reply to the OP lol

jf12

Final Flight

Sun Valley has one for adults.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Would be nice if we have an all adult seminar in Ontario Canada. I think there may be a day seminar coming in April or at least that's the word.. Not confirmed yet.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I know what an adult seminar is. The smily was because I was trying to determine what they were exactly asking with the jumbled writing.

I left out a 'd' and 'l.' It wasnt that jumbled. Im typing from my cell much of the time, so it will happen. :)