Wagner Goes Back to LaLa Land | Golden Skate

Wagner Goes Back to LaLa Land

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wow this is crazy Ina way. But I want to see it so whatever you want Ash just bring it!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
happy to have one less Moulin Rouge to sit through at US Nationals... just hope this works the way she wants it to! So close to Nationals makes me nervous to bring out an untested program!

clflowers

Rinkside
I think this is good news. Let’s be honest. If Ashley doesn’t have a realistic chance of getting on the podium in February, what does she have to lose? Look, I enjoyed Moulin Rouge…..back in March 2016! She needs something new that will inject life to her performance and I think she can rise to the challenge. I also agree with not playing it safe at this point in the season just to get a spot on the Olympic team. If she shows the commitment and tenacity that she has in the past she’s going to stand out regardless of what’s happened up to this point in the season (assuming she lands the majority of her jumps without under rotating). :drama:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Well, I have a mixed feeling. Before the season started, I was looking forward to see all the La La Land programs. I love the movie, and the soundtrack.

But so far, none of the ladies' La La Land programs is not doing anything for me: the music editing is basically one song piled after another, with no or little editing, and the choreography is not cohesive just like the music. I would like to see a better music editing so that different parts become parts of the whole, not mechanical separate parts. I also wonder if the soundtrack is suitable for a competitive program at all.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Well, I have a mixed feeling. Before the season started, I was looking forward to see all the La La Land programs. I love the movie, and the soundtrack.

But so far, none of the ladies' La La Land programs is not doing anything for me: the music editing is basically one song piled after another, with no or little editing, and the choreography is not cohesive just like the music. I would like to see a better music editing so that different parts become parts of the whole, not mechanical separate parts. I also wonder if the soundtrack is suitable for a competitive program at all.

You should check out Liam Firus' interpretation of it in his free skate. Perhaps you'll see the potential of the program after seeing it.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I support this move. I've always felt like she already performed Moulin Rouge at its best, and this season she's pretty much being trying to chase that moment instead of surpassing it. La La Land is the right music for her and has a clear character she can portray.

Of course, she doesn't have a lot of time to get the choreography down, and she's only got about a month to recover from her ankle infection as well before Nationals hit. She won't have the opportunity to put the program through its paces at a competition before then. I hope there's enough time for her to get comfortable with the steps, work on the rotation of her jumps, and improve the speed of her spins. *crossing fingers*

RobinBond

Rinkside
I suspect that she no longer wanted to use Moulin Rouge after having to stop the program at Skate America. That program now has a negative situation attached to it, so she would not want to attempt to skate it at the Olympics.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I don't necessarily think it's a bad choice, but I think it undermines her credibility a little. When she switched back to MR, she said multiple times that the reason was that she felt like MR was her chance to have her Olympic moment and that Satine was a multilayered character that she loved, and in the process of justifying her choice she undermined LLL and its character, saying it didn't make her feel the same and she didn't connect with it on the same level.

Now that she's switched again I can't help but remember the things she said about LLL and to think that this is a rebound that she picked to avoid people comparing her lackluster MR of this year to the one in 2016. Good for her if she's more confident with LLL, but I can't help seeing it this way, and it's her 'fault' with all the statements she released.

joanne129

Rinkside
I cant wait! C/B and ashley originally chose LLL but didnt use it at last. I really want to see ashley's LLL program!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Lots of news! Ashley Wagner announces just an hour ago that she will be competing at the US Nationals in 2018 with LaLa Land as her free skate music!

Her announcement is here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcTfQY3AtDi/?taken-by=ashwagner2010

not sure about such late decision, BUT - the move could give her a new energy, a boost of courage and a fresh perspective to look at herself in this Olympic season. This is what she exactly she could need at this very moment - distancing herself from the stuff she's obviously very connected with and giving a chance to a new outlook and more challenging environment. And 'La la land', although criticized, is right up in her alley for me - with good arrangement and choreography, it could highlight her performer's personality, ability to act out the stuff and convince people to it.

Best to Ashley!

Barb

Record Breaker
I definitely want to see that program, I was so disappointed when she decided to change to MR, but seriously? at this moment of the season? :unsure: She does not have technical aspects to focus on than getting used to the other choreography again?. Ashley and Karen seem totally lost. This nationals will be a big chance for Mirai and Bradie.

MasterB

Final Flight
Oh Ashely! you are breaking my heart. I love you to pieces and hope one day to be able to dance Salsa with you.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose. Lambiel and Plushenko both switched programs right before the Olympics.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm really looking forward to seeing it - I must confess that I'm heartily sick of Moulin Rouge at this point (but then, I never liked it - only Ashley was able to convince me that I was enjoying it whilst actually watching it, but that can only go so far... ) Anyway, good luck, Ashley, and may this work out for you!

slider11

Medalist
You should check out Liam Firus' interpretation of it in his free skate. Perhaps you'll see the potential of the program after seeing it.

Agreed! Liam Firus did a great job with this piece of music! I particularly like the slow part at the beginning and his step sequence at the end. I'm really hoping this will take Liam to a podium finish at the Canadian Nationals.

AKGROWN

Rinkside
Hi All - I'm "new" to GS (well, sorta. I use to post fairly frequently a few years back then got busy with life. I had to create a new profile. BTW - How do I upload a tagline - I see one "Tripping to the Podium" and thought it was cute.)

Anyhow - I'm not surprised that Ashley is flip-flopping. She has always been an independent women. My concern with her and Karen is what appears to be a lack of discipline when it comes to the program. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but it use to be unheard of to change programs mid-season and certainly never in an Olympic year. In fact, I recall skaters even saving music and some elements of choreography specifically for an Olympic year. A well-rounded program needs training and development, something the GP's help with. While skaters can practice the technical elements, the choreo and timing just comes with repetition and practice. It seems quite risky to completely change things so late in the game. September or October, perhaps. December though? I'm not sure that I would go so far as to question Ashley and Karen's commitment to their Olympic dreams but the manner in which they are going about it seems haphazard and completely disorganized.

Which leads me to my next question - where are the coaches and USFS in this? Yes, they are humans with complete agency and coaches seem easily replaceable these days, but I have a hard time understanding how their coaches are on-board with all these changes (unless they were never on-board with the initial programs). Finally, while I understand that USFS does not control skaters, I have a hard time believing that they would remain silent and completely hands-off when the top 2 skaters appear to be completely floundering.

Skating has certainly changed in my lifetime - and certainly in the past few years. Perhaps all these changes just go with the new way the sport is "played".