Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Thread: IOC's banning of Russia from 2018 Olympics

Corpses Can't Skate Spirals for Miles's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I see that and have seen that.
    My question was more of why volk doesn't want her to go...

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    Yes I see that and have seen that.
    My question was more of why volk doesn't want her to go...
    Because I want to preserve her reputation in Russia. She has a chance to become the best female skater in Russian history, even without Olympics. Representing Russia without a flag will be a dark spot in her competitive history.

Bona Fide Member

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Representing Russia without a flag will be a dark spot in her competitive history.
    Actually, it's a dark spot in the ROC's history, and the history of the athletes that doped.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Do we have an official announcement on the skaters??? I just saw on my local news that Russia has been banned from the 2018 Olympics in Korea..

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Because I want to preserve her reputation in Russia. She has a chance to become the best female skater in Russian history, even without Olympics. Representing Russia without a flag will be a dark spot in her competitive history.
    I don't think personally she will suffer all that much. However, speaking in general terms, you are right. For many, the rosy image of athletes as unquestionable patriots "fighting" for their country will be seriously shaken. Also, questions of a merit of state funding and a nature of the relationship that state has with sports will be asked. Who knows, perhaps in a long term this is a good thing for the country. People tend to lose perspective. These are just games after all.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moriel View Post
    I still keep saying it would be a smart move for Russia to send in some names right now.
    Basically, russian nationals are not a strict thing, and by the rules, the fed can decide whatever they want really, so there is not an issue.
    Based on the seasons performances, I see how they could submit Medvedeva and Zagitova, Kolyada, B/S, T/M and S/K right now, and then decide everybody else at nationals.
    This would allow to submit more names if any of those doesnt go through, for example, based on nationals, and would speed up the process since the committee would have less work at once.
    They can send list now but the committee is not even finalized yet so it doesnt even matter if they send a list after nationals. The committee's target is mid-late January.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    300 active Russian athletes are suspected of doping. WADA suspects positive probe were marked as negative for athletes between 2012 and 2015.

https://www.sports.ru/biathlon/1058435796.html

That could be anyone! The only one who's safe is Zaigitova.

2 Not allowed!
    300 active Russian athletes are suspected of doping. WADA suspects positive probe were marked as negative for athletes between 2012 and 2015.

https://www.sports.ru/biathlon/1058435796.html

That could be anyone! The only one who's safe is Zaigitova.
    I remember reading about certain Russian athletes' medals revoked & their suspension even though there was no undeniable evidence of cheating. I suspect that some of those samples tampered with were negative from the beginning in fact so mindless treating of them is not out of question. I even came across one report that suggested that Russia was trying to set up false positive doping sample for Ukrainian biathlete Valj Semerenko iirc. I don't know why ... out of spite?

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Right after the IOC's decision there were quite a few internet polls in Russia and generally more people were for boycott. How is it now? Is the Russian public opinion divided/for boycott/antiboycott? I know hockey players were having hard time after they had said that they wanted to go under neutral flag. Well, they were positioning themselves / were perceived as "soldiers on the ice" having their flag and anthem in their hearts. And for some Russians they became kid of "soldiers of fortune" who chose olimpic flag - white flag as some say on the Russian internet. Are figure skaters less criticised? Have any public opinion polls been carried out, like by Levada Center?

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PavelKoller View Post
    Right after the IOC's decision there were quite a few internet polls in Russia and generally more people were for boycott. How is it now? Is the Russian public opinion divided/for boycott/antiboycott? I know hockey players were having hard time after they had said that they wanted to go under neutral flag. Well, they were positioning themselves / were perceived as "soldiers on the ice" having their flag and anthem in their hearts. And for some Russians they became kid of "soldiers of fortune" who chose olimpic flag - white flag as some say on the Russian internet. Are figure skaters less criticised? Have any public opinion polls been carried out, like by Levada Center?
    Overall, team sports tend to be more nationalistic, patriotic and have larger group of "radical" fans.
    Figure skater community seems to be reasonably accommodating, and people who arent regular fans of FS do not care enough to shitstorm.

Bona Fide Member

4 Not allowed!
    We have all had our say on this topic, and the thread is now closed. Please remember that Golden Skate does not permit posts on political issues unrelated to figure skating.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24