IOC's banning of Russia from 2018 Olympics | Page 18 | Golden Skate

IOC's banning of Russia from 2018 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Putin said there won't be state promoted Olympic boycott. He says he feels for clean Russian athletes who are under big pressure now, who will be tested much harder than athletes from other countries. He also wants to understand how team competitions will be organized.

I think, that's the words of a leader.

...I might go to Korea after all.
I only happy about this desicion b/c of the likes of you, fans who bought tickets & spent loads of money. Hope you have some sightseeing in Korea! pls report from there!

looking like the things go on now the whiteflag team may consist like of 5 people in the end:laugh:
https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/news/2017/12/12/n_10926236.shtml

So in theory they can disqualify all the strong athlets who threated 'better countries':laugh: oh 'invitations':laugh:

They said that they respect and understand skaters who will choose to represent Russia under neutral flag.
will there be respect for those who dont want to go?

moriel

Record Breaker
Potential problem/ obstacles the Russian athletes faces:

1. Selection process will be done in mid-late January and nominations then approvals will be done only in February. Remember competition starts Feb 9. So don't be shock if some skaters who got approval won't be able to compete because their papers didn't "meet" the deadline.

2. Russia can send list of names who they want to be approved but still the committee will decide who can go even the athlete is not on the "preferred list" Russia submitted.

3. Valerie Fourneyron. She has been unapologetically campaigning for a blanket ban of Russia since Rio 2016. its not a coincidence why she is part of the 3-man committee. Remember the committee is given 100% power to decide who compete so I believe a slightest doubt will get you off the list. Even though Bobrova was eventually cleared of doping, the fact that she was investigated creates "doubt" to her bid. I have serious question if she will be permitted to compete.

I'm really expecting the committee will make it hard even for the clean athletes to make the OAR team especially since some of them have clear bias and already made their minds that no Russian athletes should be in the Olympics.

I still keep saying it would be a smart move for Russia to send in some names right now.
Basically, russian nationals are not a strict thing, and by the rules, the fed can decide whatever they want really, so there is not an issue.
Based on the seasons performances, I see how they could submit Medvedeva and Zagitova, Kolyada, B/S, T/M and S/K right now, and then decide everybody else at nationals.
This would allow to submit more names if any of those doesnt go through, for example, based on nationals, and would speed up the process since the committee would have less work at once.

geiger

On the Ice
What?? Why??? Why not want her to go?

You may not know this but the situation has really divided the Russian society.
One camp declares that the athletes have the right to go since they have trained for the event their whole lives and many may never have another chance, that they are still Russians, that sports today are international and athletes change flag anyway etc.
Another camp says that the athletes are first and foremost representatives of the country, that they are on state payroll and a huge chunk of their success is because of state support for sports, and that taxpayers pay to see a national flag at Olympic podiums, not for some individual's dreams, and, that athletes are not much different from soldiers that compete for their countries and not doing it under a national banner makes the whole thing meaningless.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Yes I see that and have seen that.
My question was more of why volk doesn't want her to go...

volk

Final Flight
Yes I see that and have seen that.
My question was more of why volk doesn't want her to go...

Because I want to preserve her reputation in Russia. She has a chance to become the best female skater in Russian history, even without Olympics. Representing Russia without a flag will be a dark spot in her competitive history.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do we have an official announcement on the skaters??? I just saw on my local news that Russia has been banned from the 2018 Olympics in Korea..

geiger

On the Ice
Because I want to preserve her reputation in Russia. She has a chance to become the best female skater in Russian history, even without Olympics. Representing Russia without a flag will be a dark spot in her competitive history.

I don't think personally she will suffer all that much. However, speaking in general terms, you are right. For many, the rosy image of athletes as unquestionable patriots "fighting" for their country will be seriously shaken. Also, questions of a merit of state funding and a nature of the relationship that state has with sports will be asked. Who knows, perhaps in a long term this is a good thing for the country. People tend to lose perspective. These are just games after all.

Kittosuni

Medalist
I still keep saying it would be a smart move for Russia to send in some names right now.
Basically, russian nationals are not a strict thing, and by the rules, the fed can decide whatever they want really, so there is not an issue.
Based on the seasons performances, I see how they could submit Medvedeva and Zagitova, Kolyada, B/S, T/M and S/K right now, and then decide everybody else at nationals.
This would allow to submit more names if any of those doesnt go through, for example, based on nationals, and would speed up the process since the committee would have less work at once.

They can send list now but the committee is not even finalized yet so it doesnt even matter if they send a list after nationals. The committee's target is mid-late January.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
300 active Russian athletes are suspected of doping. WADA suspects positive probe were marked as negative for athletes between 2012 and 2015.

https://www.sports.ru/biathlon/1058435796.html

That could be anyone! The only one who's safe is Zaigitova.
I remember reading about certain Russian athletes' medals revoked & their suspension even though there was no undeniable evidence of cheating. I suspect that some of those samples tampered with were negative from the beginning in fact so mindless treating of them is not out of question. I even came across one report that suggested that Russia was trying to set up false positive doping sample for Ukrainian biathlete Valj Semerenko iirc. I don't know why ... out of spite?

PavelKoller

Rinkside
Right after the IOC's decision there were quite a few internet polls in Russia and generally more people were for boycott. How is it now? Is the Russian public opinion divided/for boycott/antiboycott? I know hockey players were having hard time after they had said that they wanted to go under neutral flag. Well, they were positioning themselves / were perceived as "soldiers on the ice" having their flag and anthem in their hearts. And for some Russians they became kid of "soldiers of fortune" who chose olimpic flag - white flag as some say on the Russian internet. Are figure skaters less criticised? Have any public opinion polls been carried out, like by Levada Center?

moriel

Record Breaker
Right after the IOC's decision there were quite a few internet polls in Russia and generally more people were for boycott. How is it now? Is the Russian public opinion divided/for boycott/antiboycott? I know hockey players were having hard time after they had said that they wanted to go under neutral flag. Well, they were positioning themselves / were perceived as "soldiers on the ice" having their flag and anthem in their hearts. And for some Russians they became kid of "soldiers of fortune" who chose olimpic flag - white flag as some say on the Russian internet. Are figure skaters less criticised? Have any public opinion polls been carried out, like by Levada Center?

Overall, team sports tend to be more nationalistic, patriotic and have larger group of "radical" fans.
Figure skater community seems to be reasonably accommodating, and people who arent regular fans of FS do not care enough to shitstorm.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
We have all had our say on this topic, and the thread is now closed. Please remember that Golden Skate does not permit posts on political issues unrelated to figure skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.