Uncertain if US athletes can go to Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Uncertain if US athletes can go to Olympics

Serious Business

Record Breaker
So to recap:

Nov 28th North Korean missile tests.
Dec 2nd US National Security Advisor H. R. McMasters says it's safe for Americans to attend the Olympics in South Korea.
Dec 5th IOC bans Russia from the Olympics.
Dec 6th US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley says it's an "open question" whether the US will send athletes to the PyeongChang Olympics due to security concerns.
Dec 7th 1pm EST White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders says "no official decision has been made" on whether US will send athletes to PyeongChang.
Dec 7th 2pm EST White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders tweets out that the US looks forward to participating in the games.

More twists than a bobsled ride! Will there be another loop? Tune in to find out!

Tahuu

On the Ice
I feel that it is safer for the all of the Olympics if the Russians and Chinese attend.

^ And maybe Dennis Rodman will be at PyeongChang for the opening ceremony and depart after the closing ceremony. He is the only human being on Earth who is a best friend of both Kim Jong-un and Trump. :yahoo:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I sometimes wonder if I am living a Dr Strangelove movie, adaptation by Park Chan Wook. Trump, Putin, N.Korea, Nuclear, a recipe for disastahhh....so bad, you can only be sad, laugh and cry while trying best to intellectualising/processing it all. My only salvation is being continuously entertained by watching Sarah Huckabee's eyebrow arching weirder day by day with every lie and preposterous spin she has to mutter, many too ridiculous to even script in a Hollywood movie.

May be this is Trump's way for saying to his Bro Putin 'I am with you buddy, you no go, i no go'.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think the war will start until 2020, to coincide with the U.S. Prsidential re-election campaign.

Yup nothing like a war for boosting one's popular support especially when one's polls are tanking.

bevybean

On the Ice
Just to clarify further. Nikki Haley said it was an open question and the next day the USOC said the US is definitely going and contrary to what Haley said, no one at the state department contacted anyone at the USOC about the issue. I saw it on NBC sports.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Just to clarify further. Nikki Haley said it was an open question and the next day the USOC said the US is definitely going and contrary to what Haley said, no one at the state department contacted anyone at the USOC about the issue. I saw it on NBC sports.

Nikki Haley? The Nikki Haley who is very familiar with the fictional island of Binomo which the US has been watching very closely because of the election intervention by the Russians?

My condolences to people who try to prepare for any world's major event based on the words of the US ambassador to the UN.

heyang

Record Breaker
Of course, it's open. It always will be - just more or less likely based upon the world situation and location of the games, etc. Heck, people talked about Rio being moved due to concerns for the health of athletes due to water quality concerns.

The 1980 Summer Olympics boycott of the Moscow Olympics was one part of a number of actions initiated by the United States to protest the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan. The Soviet Union and other countries would later support the 1984 Summer Olympics Los Angeles boycott . The USSR announced its intentions to boycott the 1984 Summer Olympics on May 8, 1984,[2] citing security concerns and “chauvinistic sentiments and an anti-Soviet hysteria being whipped up in the United States.

^ That's a good reminder. It's never about the safety of the athletes; it's always about politics.