2017 GPF Men's FS | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Men's FS

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
... while Voronov will probably get ignored, once again.

Kolyada just has been replaced with Kovtun's status as Russian No. 1. I hoped for Voronov's bronze at this event, so he could raise his chance for the Olympics because as you know politicking has a great play in Nationals. Sadly, Voronov's PCS and three quads in total didn't get enough scores to get there. He had to deliver absolutely clean two programs against Kolyada who could jump 4lutz (sporadically, but when he hits it, it has great qualities) and high PCS.

Though, Russia has two Olympic spots, so realistically Voronov's arch rival will be either Samarin or Aliev, both of which are fresh out of juniors that means their PCS scores are not at top levels that Kolyada receives this season. Given the history, I fear the worst scenario that one of the youngsters will be chosen over Voronov in his 30's even if Voronov excels at Nationals and does better than them. Samarin can not only jump 4lutz but other quads with pretty high consistency while his programs are very empty. I hope Voronov does his best both at Nationals AND Europeans if he places within 3rd. I like Samarin, but veterans who have never been to Olympics despite their good qualities always take a soft spot in my mind. ;)

viennaskater

Medalist
Kolyada just has been replaced with Kovtun's status as Russian No. 1. I hoped for Voronov's bronze at this event, so he could raise his chance for the Olympics because as you know politicking has a great play in Nationals. Sadly, Voronov's PCS and three quads in total didn't get enough scores to get there. He had to deliver absolutely clean two programs against Kolyada who could jump 4lutz (sporadically, but when he hits it, it has great qualities) and high PCS.

Though, Russia has two Olympic spots, so realistically Voronov's arch rival will be either Samarin or Aliev, both of which are fresh out of juniors that means their PCS scores are not at top levels that Kolyada receives this season. Given the history, I fear the worst scenario that one of the youngsters will be chosen over Voronov in his 30's even if Voronov excels at Nationals and does better than them. Samarin can not only jump 4lutz but other quads with pretty high consistency while his programs are very empty. I hope Voronov does his best both at Nationals AND Europeans if he places within 3rd. I like Samarin, but veterans who have never been to Olympics despite their good qualities always take a soft spot in my mind. ;)

Thank you, Crossover, for this information and I agree with your last sentence. Olympics apart, I feel that it's a pity that Voronov was not selected more in the past. Similar thing occurred to Konstantin Menshov.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Given the history, I fear the worst scenario that one of the youngsters will be chosen over Voronov in his 30's even if Voronov excels at Nationals and does better than them. Samarin can not only jump 4lutz but other quads with pretty high consistency while his programs are very empty. I hope Voronov does his best both at Nationals AND Europeans if he places within 3rd. I like Samarin, but veterans who have never been to Olympics despite their good qualities always take a soft spot in my mind. ;)

I don't think the situation with Voronov is the same as it was four years ago. None of the youngsters has the 'presence' Plushenko had, which I why Sergei's chances are certainly higher now. But he has to deliver at Nats and put himself in front of the other guys. He has to. He already has the best track record this season compared to the others, but he has to deliver and snatch that second place.