2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh my. That sounds awful. Do they do that just between groups? Or is it when skaters are awaiting marks?

If it's between groups, at least you can get up and wander about. But if you're captive while waiting for scores... this might be a Geneva Convention situation.

Yes, stop the torture!
A little history. At one time, USFS saw no need for a Rusty and Romeo. Between events or skates, one would hear music like “Five for Fighting”’s “Only 100 years to live”. This music would probably be considered elevator music by many of the younger folks here. When Rusty and later “Romeo” were brought on the scene, Rusty was really obnoxious and Romeo played what I, who know nothing about most types of modern music, would call rap/hip-hop/Motown. My friends and I who came to each event hated them both. And let our feelings be known that we weren’t paying the big bucks to come to skating and listen to hyped up loud rap and watch Corny Rusty.
Rusty has toned down his act, although there is still much debate as to his function and need. Romeo has been toned down a bit, although most of us geezers still find his single brand of music offensive. They are sadly misreading the demographic that spends the big bucks to go to these events. And its not the little kids dancing in their seats. If people no longer have the attention span to watch for facts and figures on the Jumbotron, we would be happy with old MK skates. Or skates from the coaches present from their skating lives. Note that the TV audience is not subjected to much Rusty and Romeo.
With the death of attention span may well come the death of skating, but before then those of us who still have some attention span seem to be paying the bills. No worries. My friends and I will be going to our reward soon enough, and everyone who likes Rusty and Romeo may enjoy them, and whatever modern music the future skaters will chose.
Chris who doesn’t check his phone during performances. Skating is not boring.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It's definitely while waiting for marks. I'm all about the upbeat music. But THE SAME SONG OVER AGAIN. HOW MANY TIMES MUST I HEAR CAKE BY THE OCEAN KILL ME NOW!

In the world of marketing it is called "hype". Hype has permeated much of media...even TV news...as well as much of sporting events.....hopefully, it hasnt reached opera and concerts...yet.....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just wanna mention that "DJ Romeo" is a gentleman and a kind human being.

I will stay out of the music discussion, but I will say that his friendliness in Lake Placid is one of my positive memories of Skate America.
He asked my name (and remembered it on subsequent days), and gave me his real name. Made me feel welcome even though I am way too old to be in his natural demographic.

All week in San Jose, I had good intentions of going over to say Hello to him again.
I regret to say that I never got around to it. :sad4:
Bothers me as much as missing my chance to say Hello to Danny O'Shea :luv17: at the FOFS breakfast, for example.