2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, Caroline Zhang sat right in front of me (I know she is beloved here.) She was very energetic and seemed to be there supporting Grant.

Thank you skatefan17 for your reports:clap:, I know it wasn't deliberate, but you mentioned four of my favorite men's skaters: Jason, Alex Krasnozhon, Sean and Grant, in your posts!;)

(I'm glad to see Sean's new SP is a crowd pleaser, I loved the one he started the season with (he switched mid-season)

b-man

Final Flight
First, Solar 4 is an amazing facility with 4 rinks under 1 roof, a literal 4 ring circus. I Caught the end of Angela Wang's run through, looked very good and wished had seen the rest. Tennel looked very solid, zero mistakes and good tech content. She is a can't miss for podium. Writing off Wagner as past her prime is premature. I don't like the Chin Chin program, don't like the shimmys and shoulder rolls, but the crowed loved it and the judges will as well. Jumps are good enough and better than most. I expect Wagner to get a silver or bronze. Nagasu appeared the only one challenging Bradie technically, and if she conquers her demons will surely podium. If, not, could fall to fourth. Bradie, Ashley and Mirai appeared to be the class of the field. Karen did not look sharp to me, either on jumps or transitions. I expect 4th -6th place for her, but that's what I predicted last year. I think Caroline Zhang has a good chance of repeating her 5th place from last year. She is a crowd fave, always skates a tear jerker emotional program.

The big news is Polina. I haven't seen anyone else mention it. During her program, unless I was distracted, I saw her attempt zero jumps, not one jump. She entered a number of jumping passes, set up for a jump, yet never pulled the trigger. Didn't attempt a single jump. Then, before all six girls completed their programs, between programs of others, she went to center ice, bowed, and left the ice. I expect her to, sadly, withdraw.

klutzy

On the Ice
The big news is Polina. I haven't seen anyone else mention it. During her program, unless I was distracted, I saw her attempt zero jumps, not one jump. She entered a number of jumping passes, set up for a jump, yet never pulled the trigger. Didn't attempt a single jump. Then, before all six girls completed their programs, between programs of others, she went to center ice, bowed, and left the ice. I expect her to, sadly, withdraw.

Ugh. I hope some weird thing was going on because she looks pretty good on the video of her 1/1/18 practice. I'd hate to think she won't get a chance to skate before the hometown crowd. Maybe she was conserving her energy for tomorrow?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Sean Rabbitt's free program is a real crowd pleaser and I believe it's music that Polina Edmunds has used in the past. ...

... (I'm glad to see Sean's new SP is a crowd pleaser, I loved the one he started the season with (he switched mid-season)

As skatefan17 said, Sean skated his FS at practice. It is his FS from last season. (Music that a number of others have used before.)

Please don't get me wrong: I love Sean, and I think the program suits him well. :yay:

Also, Caroline Zhang sat right in front of me (I know she is beloved here.) She was very energetic and seemed to be there supporting Grant.

Not surprisingly, Grant earlier had been at Caroline's practice -- and recording her entire runthrough with his tablet.

BTW, Caroline is one of the ladies whom I really have enjoyed in practices.

.... I Caught the end of Angela Wang's run through, looked very good and wished had seen the rest. ...

Angela's gorgeous SP made me cry :sad4: :luv17: when I saw it at the Philadelphia International.

And it made me cry again at her Nats practice. Another lady whom I love.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Has anyone seen Emily Chan practice? I really like her and was happy she made it out of Sectionals. She did not compete over the summer and there was a report of a foot or ankle injury.

If anyone has a report on her I would be very grateful. Thanks.

georgia

On the Ice
Ice dance practices can be boring but I am here now! Beautiful walk from the Fairmont hotel! I still have fresh in my mind Mirai’s Monday practice, Ashley’s wed practice, Ethan’s beautiful effortless quads, Alex’s beautiful skating, Adam’s quads and everything else he does do well, Bradie the miracle worker, some Jadon movies.. great stuff for the skating fans!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm having a hard time finding any practice videos of the men. Can anyone provide a link to Adam's or Nathan's practices?

Also, are there videos of today's practices for the ladies? Someone mentioned Ashley's being good.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice dance practices can be boring but I am here now! Beautiful walk from the Fairmont hotel! I still have fresh in my mind Mirai’s Monday practice, Ashley’s wed practice, Ethan’s beautiful effortless quads, Alex’s beautiful skating, Adam’s quads and everything else he does do well, Bradie the miracle worker, some Jadon movies.. great stuff for the skating fans!

Georgia, do you know of a link to Ashley's Wed. practice or Adam's practices? Thanks for this report! I get real happiness and a vicarious sense of presence, from your lovely descriptions!
:thank:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Icey

Record Breaker
Fear some of them are, as Dick Button used to say, leaving their performance on the practice ice.

statmam

On the Ice
Has anyone seen Emily Chan practice? I really like her and was happy she made it out of Sectionals. She did not compete over the summer and there was a report of a foot or ankle injury.

If anyone has a report on her I would be very grateful. Thanks.

I remember her junior SP from 2016 Nationals. Our jaws dropped. There was nothing juniorish about that performance...except maybe the Whitney Houston song. One of my all-time favorite Nationals moments ever because it was so unexpected. Glad to hear she's back!

(Sorry to stray OT.)

mkice9

Spectator
CoyoteChris, iceskater10, temadd, georgia, Hyena, ice coverage, skatefan17, b-man, Ruffles78 thanks to all of you (hopefully I didn't miss anyone) for the on-site reports and sightings! Living vicariously through them!

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Hi. Going to the S4A ladies' practice at 10:15 am. Come say hi! I am a middle aged white guy wearing flannel shirt topped with a blue Minneapolis Worlds sweatshirt.. Sam

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Ladies' practice group two just started. Bradie flies around that ice. Great skating skills and edges!

lutzlover

On the Ice
Ugh I wish there was a yt or periscope livestream for practices - if anyone has a good wifi signal and strong battery percentage, feel free to stream practices live on Instagram or periscope :) pretty please