2018-2019 Season - New rules | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Season - New rules

enzofv

On the Ice
I was wondering if we could gather information on all that's going to change in the rulebook for next season (e. g. the new -5 to +5 GOEs and their values).

Oh, and if they're going to drop the jumping passes in the men's FS to 7, is the program duration remaining at 4:40 or going down to 4:00?

Thanks in advance.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Thats a good question and an important issue to discuss.
The ISU congress is comng up in the middle of this year. This is where all these significant changes will be voted on.

gkelly

Record Breaker
The proposals will be voted on at the ISU Congress in June(? have to check the dates). I'm sure the proposals will be published in the spring, but I wouldn't expect it to be before Worlds because there may be some new details that come out of what happens at Olympics and Worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYIs:

- Per webpage for 2018 Broadmoor Open, it is: "Test Competition for the new IJS -5 to +5 scoring & The New Scale of Values along with the New FS Program Times for Juniors and Seniors."

- In July in Frankfurt, ISU Technical Committees (for Singles/Pair; Ice Dance; Synchro) will be conducting seminars for the -5 to +5 GOEs being introduced.

... Enrollment will be open to ISU Judges / ISU Referees ONLY. Those ISU Members not having Judges with the qualification of ISU will be allowed to send an International Judge. Each ISU Member may recommend 1-2 candidates to attend the seminars ...

Candidates attending the Seminar will be required to conduct similar seminars for their ISU Member as soon as possible following the completion of the Global Seminar in Frankfurt. The report of the National seminar for the +5/-5 GOE should be sent to the respective Technical Committees with the list of the participants and their qualifications. ...

https://isu.org/communications/15825-isu-communication-2138/file (page 4)​

nadster

Final Flight
Noticed that the novices can now do 3 jump combos. So now they can do the half loop combos. A much needed change.

I remember Gogolev doing a 3F half loop 3S combo as a novice in the Detroit summer competition. He couldn't even try it domestically.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I’m sorry I’m not sure if anyone has posted this yet but here is a document on skate canada’s Info Center showing the time changes for programs and some other requirements. https://scinfocentrerm.blob.core.wi...am Requirements 3.2 Quick Reference Guide.pdf
Seems like all men’s programs will be shorter. Thoughts?

I think this are still not ratified by ISU.

Also I understand that the GOE you can receive from execution will be upgrated to +/- 5 GOE, or something like that....

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
I think this are still not ratified by ISU.

Also I understand that the GOE you can receive from execution will be upgrated to +/- 5 GOE, or something like that....

I believe this change will for sure take effect because it is around this time that skaters are choreographing new programs and they need to know the information about length early in the off season. So maybe the ISU told the federations what the time changes will be so skaters have the chance to choreograph their programs but all other changes are still on the table to discuss. I don't think Ckate Canada would release an official document about this without knowing if it would happen for sure because then many skaters would have to quickly lengthen or shorten programs at short notice.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I believe this change will for sure take effect because it is around this time that skaters are choreographing new programs and they need to know the information about length early in the off season. So maybe the ISU told the federations what the time changes will be so skaters have the chance to choreograph their programs but all other changes are still on the table to discuss. I don't think Ckate Canada would release an official document about this without knowing if it would happen for sure because then many skaters would have to quickly lengthen or shorten programs at short notice.

Thank you... would this help?

I think that less time, less time for choreography, specially for those skaters that need more preparation for their jumps... :think:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I am dying to know the new short dance rhythms and if there will be any changes to the rules there.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I am dying to know the new short dance rhythms and if there will be any changes to the rules there.

For 2018-2019 ? It's Tango (Pattern : Tango Romantica for Seniors and Argentine Tango for Juniors)

The change : you can pick any rhythm in addition to Tango, even if it's weird. Waltz, foxtrot, salsa, anything.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
For 2018-2019 ? It's Tango (Pattern : Tango Romantica for Seniors and Argentine Tango for Juniors)

The change : you can pick any rhythm in addition to Tango, even if it's weird. Waltz, foxtrot, salsa, anything.

Wow, I guess the judges got tired of samey looking dances. But even now the SDs are often a musical catastrophe, so who knows what's upon us :D

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I was wondering if we could gather information on all that's going to change in the rulebook for next season (e. g. the new -5 to +5 GOEs and their values).

Oh, and if they're going to drop the jumping passes in the men's FS to 7, is the program duration remaining at 4:40 or going down to 4:00?

Thanks in advance.

There’s just very little that’s actually been confirmed. I think certain inferences can be made based off of the totality of rumours (that is, there are clear trends within the madness, regardless of whether or not specific line items make it to the final draft), but that doesn’t answer your question.

What we do know:
GOE scale will be expanded from 7 to 11 values, running -5 to +5.
Men’s free skate time is being cut and one jumping pass removed.
Other notable changes mentioned in this thread.

What we don’t know:
GOE criteria, both in total and per level.
What mandatory negative GOEs will be under the expanded values (for example, if a fall will be -3 or -5).
Base values.
Scale of values.
What, if any, rumoured/proposed changes will formally be adopted, and if they are, what the specific language will be.

One poster who saw some version of the new system being tested said that 30 to 40 percent of BV had been removed and was now, for all intents and purposes, moved into GOE. I’ve seen multiple reports that one GOE level equates to 10% BV, which means the point at which a triple could overtake a quad is at about +4. Whether or not that’s still true, however, or will be true under the final system... your guess is as good as mine.

epicdreamer

Rinkside
hopeful with these new rules come proper training for judges and application of said rules. and I wish they'd take away the whole "these bullet points are just guidelines". makes it sound wishy-washy

TryMeLater

On the Ice
There’s just very little that’s actually been confirmed. I think certain inferences can be made based off of the totality of rumours (that is, there are clear trends within the madness, regardless of whether or not specific line items make it to the final draft), but that doesn’t answer your question.

What we do know:
GOE scale will be expanded from 7 to 11 values, running -5 to +5.
Men’s free skate time is being cut and one jumping pass removed.
Other notable changes mentioned in this thread.

What we don’t know:
GOE criteria, both in total and per level.
What mandatory negative GOEs will be under the expanded values (for example, if a fall will be -3 or -5).
Base values.
Scale of values.
What, if any, rumoured/proposed changes will formally be adopted, and if they are, what the specific language will be.

One poster who saw some version of the new system being tested said that 30 to 40 percent of BV had been removed and was now, for all intents and purposes, moved into GOE. I’ve seen multiple reports that one GOE level equates to 10% BV, which means the point at which a triple could overtake a quad is at about +4. Whether or not that’s still true, however, or will be true under the final system... your guess is as good as mine.

Here is the proposed new BV according to an article on icenetwork.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Ladies:

Loop being the triple that loses the most base value is something I somewhat like, because that punishes skaters who don't have proper edge on both the Flip and the Lutz. Also, this does indirectly increase the value of the -3Lo combo by 0.1 points, making it more desirable and hopefully more common as a result.

The 3A base value reduction I'm not a huge fan of for ladies. I really would like to see 3A encouraged more. Still, it's an extremely potent jump for the scores when done consistently and should still be worthwhile. The quads would of course still be valuable, and the benefit to doing different 3A/quad jumps is immense so it'll still be very worthwhile learning them as long as one can pull it off.

enzofv

On the Ice
So far, I like all the changes. I do hope they stop punishing URs so severely, though. With the new scoring system, I think only a GOE reduction would be sufficient. That would prevent many "what the fudge happened to her/his scores?" reactions at the Kiss & Cry LOL

lavoix

Match Penalty
Changes to the ISU rules, code, scores

Hi everyone,

I've been reading that a lot of new changes are on the horizon. Can we make a list and discuss? When are they officially releasing the news?

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Here is the proposed new BV according to an article on icenetwork.

Actually I think that proposal may be outdated because I remember hearing more recently that quads (and 3A?) BV will be lowering by around 10%, whereas this table lowers BV of all jumps and in different percentages for each jump (which I always disagreed with; if you're lowering a certain percentage of BV, make it uniform across all the jumps). Though this more recent info wasn't official, so who knows what they'll decide?