2018 Canadian Nationals Junior Men - SP | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Junior Men - SP

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
2018 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships - Junior Men Short Program

Monday, January 8 at 20:36 PST
(Time in other cities)

Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre
6066 Thunderbird Blvd
Vancouver, BC

Schedule in Pacific Standard Time
Results
English live stream
French live stream
Video
Results & Videos thread
No Spoilers Videos thread

Starting #NameProgram Music SectionGroup #
1Matthew MarkellSP: Fly Me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra (Cee-Roo Remix)
FS: To Build a Home by The Cinematic Orchestra
ON1
2Koen KucherSP: Patience by The Lumineers; Shots by Imagine Dragons
FS: Street. Horse. Smell. Candle. by Abel Korzeniowski from "Penny Dreadful"; Porz Goret by Yann Tiersen; Oceano by Roberto Cacciapaglia
SK1
3Max DenkSP: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Get Back by The Beatles
FS: Who Wants to Live Forever? by Queen, performed by David Garett
ON1
4Brian LeSP: Simkhes Toyre Time by Itzhak Perlman, The Kelzmatics; Tati un mama Tants by Itzhak Perlman, Andy Statman; Doyna and Skotshma (Arr. Dov Seltzer) by Itzhak Perlman, Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, Dov Seltzer
FS: The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel, performed by Disturbed
BC/YK1
5Ehren ChangSP: I See Fire by Ed SheeranBC/YK1
6Samuel TurcotteSP: I Won't Dance by Fred Astaire (District 78 Step Up 3D Remix)
FS: To Build a Home by The Cinematic Orchestra
QC1
7Loucas ÉthierSP: Guys and Dolls; Luck Be a Lady by Frank Sinatra
FS: Buon Giorno Principessa by Nicola Piovani from "La Vita è Bella" ; Theme (From "La Vita è Bella") by Marc Reift; Arriva Il Carro Armato by Nicola Piovani from "La Vita è Bella"
QC2
8Dawson NodwellSP: Leningrad by William Joseph
FS: The Death of Mercutio and Tybalt by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra by Nino Rota from "Romeo & Juliet"; Kissing You by Des'ree from "Romeo + Juliet"; Romeo and Juliet - The Balcony Scene by Paul Bateman, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra; O Verona by The City of Prague Philharomic Orchestra from "Romeo + Juliet"
AB/NT/NUN2
9Alexandre SimardSP: Black Magic Woman by Santana
FS: Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi
QC2
10Jack DushenskiSP: Bolero for Violin and Orchestra by Vanessa-Mae, choreographed by David Wilson
FS: Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 performed by Boris Berezovsky
ON2
11Iliya KovlerSP: Je Pense à Toi by Patrick Fiori; Le Bien Qui Fait Mal from "Mozart, l'Opéra Rock", choreographed by Andrei Berenzintsev
FS: Selections from Carmen including Habanera composed by Georges Bizet
ON2
12Graham SchaufeleSP: Opening from "The Nightmare Before Christmas" sound track; Victor's Deception Danny Elfman from "Corpse Bride"; Christmas Eve Montage, What is This from "The Nightmare Before Christmas" sound track
FS: Sergei Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 1 in D-Flat Major, Op.10 perfromed by Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, Vladimir Ashkenazy
AB/NT/NUN2
13James Henri-SinghSP: Fly Me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra
FS: Jacket On, Jacket Off; Journey to the Spiritual Mountain; From Master to Student to Master by James Horner from "The Karate Kid"
QC3
14Corey CircelliSP: Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen peformed by Jeff Buckley
FS: La Bohème composed by Giacomo Puccini
ON3
15Zoé Duval-YergeauSP: There Is a Place, Demimonde (Main Title) by Abel Korzeniowski from "Penny Dreadful", choreographed by Marie-France Dubreuil
FS: De glace by Pierre Lapointe
QC3
16David BirinbergSP: Fanatico by Edvin Marton
FS: The 2nd Law: Unsustainable by Muse
ON3
17Bruce WaddellSP: Korobushka by Bond, choreographed by Mary Angela LarmerON3
18Justin HampoleSP: Buster's Big Opening by Cirque du Soleil from "Iris"
FS: Back to the Apple (Live at The Americana Hotel; 1991 Remastered Version) by Count Basie; I Ain't Got Nothing but the Blue by Woody Herman; Back to the Apple (Live at The Americana Hotel; 1991 Remastered Version) by Count Basie
BC/YK3
WDAlistair LamSP: The Rhythm of the Heat by Peter Gabriel
FS: Serenade by Isaac Stern
ON

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Good luck to all the competitors! :hap10:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've never seen Matthew Markell do a Rippon before, and that seems to have contributed to the fall on the second jump of his combo. :eek:hwell:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I think Matt did a Rippon during his novice men FS when he won a silver medal. Though that was 2 years ago so I can't quite recall it.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Mango, you've been following his career a lot longer than I have, of course, so the two arms over his head surprised me.

Are we the only two GS members watching this event?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Looks like it. It's too late for the others I think.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Ted's telling us Ehren only found out on Saturday that he was going to skate at Nationals. Alistair's WD came really late. Fortunately Ehren's in BC.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Markell barely holds on to the lead after the first group. Turcotte is usually a more consistent jumper, but he was a bit off tonight.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Ted always comments on how straight Dawson sits in the kiss and cry. :) Now Dawson is a skater who has more potential but things didn't go as planned tonight.

I have to ask, why do some of Yvan Desjardin's students have this wild jumping technique? Like they haven't quite figure out how to get the most efficient position in the air?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Jack :cry:

Ted & Debbi are saying wonderful things about him. But I think he was nervous. I've seen this happen over and over with him and it's saddening. He's got so much talent...he can do this!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have to ask, why do some of Yvan Desjardin's students have this wild jumping technique? Like they haven't quite figure out how to get the most efficient position in the air?

It's weird, isn't it? When you compare Simard's jumps to Phan's, it's like they're complete opposites.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Nicolas has that jump problem too. Some of his jumps are 100% and others I am left wondering where Yvan went wrong.

Iliya's hurt himself bad with that fall. No combo. He's going to be behind Matt though he shouldn't be.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Graham Schaufele's SP was a show number that was turned into a competitive program.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Matt is still in the lead after two groups.

He's not the only one who's having a tough time at this competition; the guys are all having a rough day (or night, I should say) at the office. :(

Nicolas has that jump problem too. Some of his jumps are 100% and others I am left wondering where Yvan went wrong.

True, although I imagine that Nic's height and large frame also add to some of his difficulties.

Iliya's hurt himself bad with that fall. No combo. He's going to be behind Matt though he shouldn't be.

I certainly didn't expect the winner of the SC Challenge to be currently in 7th place. :no:

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
factoid: 2016 Canadians (Halifax) - Graham was only given 2 days notice as Novice alternate and had not been training programs but was very happy to have the chance to be there.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
If you watched Iliya at ACI you'd know he has had meltdowns this season. But what wasn't expected was Beres Clements, the guy who beat him for a silver at ACI, wouldn't even qualify for Nationals while Iliya would win Challenge.

These junior men are unpredictable. Then again, it's not like our senior men are better. :(

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
recall Beres was injured at his 2nd int'l (end of Oct/begin Nov) and didn't get to compete there. And iirc 2 weeks or so before he was iniured again. He was in quite a bit of pain after the long at Challenge.