Foreign Television Shows (non-US) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Foreign Television Shows (non-US)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm hearing very good things about Dark (German). It's definitely on my to-watch list.

As for shows that I've watched: I thought the Break (Belgian) was decent. Case (Iceland) was enjoyable.

If you're willing to get out of comfort zone a little, give the Korean show Solomon's Perjury a chance. It's excellent.

If you're looking for more a guilty pleasure, the Spanish murder mystery Mar de Plastico will do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, it's stars Feride of Lovebird so it's definitely I'd want to check. I'll look for it.

Yes we watched Case and The Break. And the Lava Field. We are also working our way though The MidSomer Murders. We are in season 7 of 19.

I'd love to watch a Korean mystery but I'm not sure where to start. I'll look at Solomon's Perjury after we give The Frozen Dead a go. Thanks for the tip.

Smile23

On the Ice
I decided to watch the Turkish romantic comedy "What Happens to my Family" again. I needed a fun and lighthearted show after Morocco. I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a fun show with lots of romantic tension and comedy bits.

I especially recommend it for the character Haluk who is one of the most entertaining characters you'll find on a show. His relationship with Ece is fantastic. But there's a lot of other stuff to love - Emrecan/Ceylan cute love story, the Celik family drama, etc.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
This is a good Vietnamese movie to watch. It's the first Vietnamese film I've watched and I though it was sensual, funny, and not predictable, and when it ended, I was disappointed and wished it went on for longer: Touch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1789090/

A mechanic looking to save his faltering marriage strikes up an unlikely friendship with a shy Vietnamese-American manicurist.
Director: Minh Duc Nguyen
Writer: Minh Duc Nguyen
Stars: Porter Duong, John Ruby

-----------------------------------------------

I binged watched this over the weekend, it's only about 9 or 10 episodes: Sofiya http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6653336/

In 15th Century Russia, the last Byzantium Princess, Sophia Palaiologina, moves from Rome to distant Moscow to marry Czar Ivan III. Destined to become the first influential female figure of the Russian Empire, Sophia overcomes court intrigue and betrayals, and helps Ivan consolidate the fragmented country, push Mongolian invaders out, and build the Kremlin, the most magnificent symbol of Russia.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Started the Frozen Dead on Netflix. It is set in mountains near Toulouse.

The problem with french stuff on netflix is that I am what I like to refer to as non-functionally bilingual. I understand it pretty well, I can read it but I struggle with speaking it and won't write it. Netflix in french is awful because I listen in french but read the subtitles too and it's too much. TOO MUCH.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I am watching Netflix Original Series Morocco now. The plot takes place during the Spanish Moroccan War in 1921. So far, I like it very much! I would say this is the first original romantic historical series done by Netflix I will give four stars on the first episode, lol. I don't have much time to watch it, i can only do an episode a night, unfortunately. I'm on episode 2 now....

sometimes the subtitles go a little fast for me, but it's ok I guess. The men and women are very handsome. The scenery is beautiful, and Netflix didn't back away from showing the gore of war. The show has humor as well, which keeps me awake watching it late night when I should be asleep, haha.

Too bad Julia is engaged, because Fidel is so fine, wow, lol.

edited to add: I'm on second episode, but Im rewatching the first. Luis (handsome as well) and Pilar are so funny together! love it. And it seems Fidel fell in love with Julia at first sight.

Smile23

On the Ice
I am watching Netflix Original Series Morocco now. The plot takes place during the Spanish Moroccan War in 1921. So far, I like it very much! I would say this is the first original romantic historical series done by Netflix I will give four stars on the first episode, lol. I don't have much time to watch it, i can only do an episode a night, unfortunately. I'm on episode 2 now....

sometimes the subtitles go a little fast for me, but it's ok I guess. The men and women are very handsome. The scenery is beautiful, and Netflix didn't back away from showing the gore of war. The show has humor as well, which keeps me awake watching it late night when I should be asleep, haha.

Too bad Julia is engaged, because Fidel is so fine, wow, lol.

edited to add: I'm on second episode, but Im rewatching the first. Luis (handsome as well) and Pilar are so funny together! love it. And it seems Fidel fell in love with Julia at first sight.

I really enjoyed Morocco. I was surprised too by all the blood and gore but I thought it fit due to the show's premise. I actually felt it enhanced the experience for me because it felt more real.

All the couples are adorable too. You're still on ep 2 so I won't spoil for you but there's a lot of fun romantic tension and flirting as the shows goes on.

CokGuzel

Final Flight
I really enjoyed Morocco. I was surprised too by all the blood and gore but I thought it fit due to the show's premise. I actually felt it enhanced the experience for me because it felt more real.

All the couples are adorable too. You're still on ep 2 so I won't spoil for you but there's a lot of fun romantic tension and flirting as the shows goes on.

Love how Fidel just scooped up Julia in the first episode to protect her from the snipers, and explained about why they’re called pacos. I also would like to think Fidel fell for her at first sight. I also love how Pilar just slaps Luis, it’s so unexpected, you just see the hand go up and the sound of the slaps. I love it, it’s too funny. It’s brings some comic relief amid the intensity of the war. I really like this show, never a dull moment.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Love how Fidel just scooped up Julia in the first episode to protect her from the snipers, and explained about why they’re called pacos. I also would like to think Fidel fell for her at first sight. I also love how Pilar just slaps Luis, it’s so unexpected, you just see the hand go up and the sound of the slaps. I love it, it’s too funny. It’s brings some comic relief amid the intensity of the war. I really like this show, never a dull moment.

In large part thanks to the international success of "Velvet," Spanish production companies are starting to risk more with bigger budgets for TV series. Now a good Spanish series can be sold to many other countries, not just Latin America but all over Europe and even China (apparently "Velvet" was a big hit in China!). Add the revenue from streaming services like Netflix, and a successful Spanish series has the potential to make a nice chunk of change. Spanish TV will never enjoy the lavish budgets of Hollywood productions, but the increased revenue potential has allowed and motivated Spanish production companies to up their game. So hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more great Spanish series like "Morocco" in the future.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

wow, now, I'm just sorry I don't have much time to watch it. I'm watching the second episode now...

I agree, never a dull moment so far, so good. Amaia Ballester is a wonderful actress, her tears really got to me, especially the scene when she truly believed her fiance was dead and she turned away from her wounded brother, tears streaming down her face, wow, emotional scene. I think he really did fall in love with her at first sight. He couldn't help but reach for her hand when she was putting the cloth bandage on her brother, he said to her that one must always have short nails, and clean hands, etc. I like the tension between Luis and Pilar.. the actor who plays Luis is comedic yet serious as well, he can really do both types of acting very well. Magdalena is the fun comedic one of the girls, she likes to sneak in booze, lol, and wow, another christian muslim relationship?, but one that I think isn't going to end up badly like kurt seyit and sura.

In large part thanks to the international success of "Velvet," Spanish production companies are starting to risk more with bigger budgets for TV series. Now a good Spanish series can be sold to many other countries, not just Latin America but all over Europe and even China (apparently "Velvet" was a big hit in China!). Add the revenue from streaming services like Netflix, and a successful Spanish series has the potential to make a nice chunk of change. Spanish TV will never enjoy the lavish budgets of Hollywood productions, but the increased revenue potential has allowed and motivated Spanish production companies to up their game. So hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more great Spanish series like "Morocco" in the future.

I really hope so, Netflix needs to make more international original romantic series.

CokGuzel

Final Flight
wow, now, I'm just sorry I don't have much time to watch it. I'm watching the second episode now...

I agree, never a dull moment so far, so good. Amaia Ballester is a wonderful actress, her tears really got to me, especially the scene when she truly believed her fiance was dead and she turned away from her wounded brother, tears streaming down her face, wow, emotional scene. I think he really did fall in love with her at first sight. He couldn't help but reach for her hand when she was putting the cloth bandage on her brother, he said to her that one must always have short nails, and clean hands, etc. I like the tension between Luis and Pilar.. the actor who plays Luis is comedic yet serious as well, he can really do both types of acting very well. Magdalena is the fun comedic one of the girls, she likes to sneak in booze, lol, and wow, another christian muslim relationship?, but one that I think isn't going to end up badly like kurt seyit and sura.

I really hope so, Netflix needs to make more international original romantic series.

I like the historical aspect, at the start of episode 1, the ladies in their pretty dresses and hats. The train station scene was wonderfully shot, the hustle and bustle around them, Magdalena saying goodbye to her fiancé, and Julia showing up. Both actors who play Julia and Fidel both have great chemistry together, I love watching them together. There was a very touching scene, Julia asking Fidel if her brother would be ok, tears coming down her face, blood all over hands, and got on her face, Fidel wipes the blood off her face very tenderly (to me). I normally don’t watch any movie with blood and everything, but boy, this one got me hooked.
I believe they really fall for each other but they’re fighting against their attraction because they are both engaged to someone else.

Smile23

On the Ice

I hope so too. Every Spanish series I've watched on Netflix, I loved or really enjoyed.

Grand Hotel was excellent. My favorite of the bunch. That one is going to be a classic the older it gets. Just a wonderfully done show.

Velvet was so much fun. I think it's the one show that gave me the most anxiety (other than Seyit & Sura) because of everything that Alberto and Ana went thru. At one point I was absolutely obsessed with Velvet that I got depressed. :laugh:

The Time in Between was another good show. I loved the Morocco portion the most, such great characters.

Merli is the sleeper hit on Netflix. I feel like it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. It's a really good show with a great premise, fun characters.

Cable Girls was enjoyable. I can't say I loved it but it's still a quality show.

Mar de Plastico is my guilty pleasure show. Crime dramas aren't usually my thing but this was fun because it was basically beautiful people doing bad things.

And now Morocco, which I loved as well.

We need more shows from Spain!

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Mar de Plastico is my guilty pleasure show. Crime dramas aren't usually my thing but this was fun because it was basically beautiful people doing bad things

It's interesting that you describe "Mar de plastico" as a guilty pleasure. To be honest, I didn't enjoy the show that much while it was running, but looking back on it, the bad guy was so make-your-skin-crawl evil that you kind of had to respect the show for that.

The latest big hit in Spain is a show called "Estoy vivo," a story about a cop who dies but comes back to Earth in another man's body five years later. The hitch is that he is granted this new life on the strict condition that he never tells anyone his true identity; otherwise he'll be dead for good. His mission during his second chance on life is to catch the serial killer who murdered him and seven other victims. Keeping his identity hidden while on this mission is so very complicated because he gets assigned to partner with his own daughter, who is now a cop. To make matters worse, his worst enemy is now his boss, and his enemy/boss is romantically pursuing his now-widowed wife. It's a combination of supernatural sci-fi, action-adventure, romantic drama, and comedy. And believe it or not, the show manages to blend all those disparate elements together to make it work. I liked "Estoy vivo" so much that I watched every single episode at least twice, and some three or four times. The production company is currently in negotiations with Netflix. If it does make it to Netflix, keep an eye out for it because it's tons of fun.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
episode 2, Morocco...

It is so SAD that Julia, Magdalena, Pilar and Larbi went through all that trouble to get Pedro out, only to be SHOT to death by a Moor. Larbi should have known that there were guards! Poor Julia.

That turn around slap by Pilar on Luis' face was so loud, lol.

edited to add: oh, i spoke too soon, Pedro is alive, thank goodness!....episode 3

episode 3....that Moroccan tea scene at Larbi's house was very sweet, I liked the way Larbi poured the tea, so high up, lol. And when he tried to wrap the hijab around Magdelena's head, he wanted her right there, but she stopped it, the attraction is growing between these two, heating up, lol........and Fidel, when Julia told him she was only staying in Morocco a few more days because the head nurse was kicking her out, Fidel looked SAD, and when Julia told him his fiance was a lucky lady because he's a good man for not turning her in, he didn't even hesitate to say, "No, I'm not engaged."

Smile23

On the Ice
episode 2, Morocco...

It is so SAD that Julia, Magdalena, Pilar and Larbi went through all that trouble to get Pedro out, only to be SHOT to death by a Moor. Larbi should have known that there were guards! Poor Julia.

edited to add: oh, i spoke too soon, Pedro is alive, thank goodness!....episode 3

episode 3....that Moroccan tea scene at Larbi's house was very sweet, I liked the way Larbi poured the tea, so high up, lol. And when he tried to wrap the hijab around Magdelena's head, he wanted her right there, but she stopped it, the attraction is growing between these two, heating up, lol........and Fidel, when Julia told him she was only staying in Morocco a few more days because the head nurse was kicking her out, Fidel looked SAD, and when Julia told him his fiance was a lucky lady because he's a good man for not turning her in, he didn't even hesitate to say, "No, I'm not engaged."

I loved Magdalena and Larbi's relationship. They were adorable.

DelRetiro

On the Ice
episode 2, Morocco...

Unfortunately, the production company of "Morocco" officially announced today that the show would not be renewed for a second season :noshake: :scratch2: :sad21:

Smile23

On the Ice
Unfortunately, the production company of "Morocco" officially announced today that the show would not be renewed for a second season :noshake: :scratch2: :sad21:

That's a shame. I really wanted to see more. You couldn't really tell from the ending if a second season was coming because they kind of wrapped up the show nicely but certainly left it open if there was a second season. Good job by the producers for not ending with a clear cliffhanger. That would've killed me. :laugh:

DelRetiro

On the Ice
Oh No! I'm sad about that! Did they say why?

The series creator said in a tweet that there would be no second season because from the start he envisioned just one season. A lot of Spanish series are like that, storylines with defined ends that are intended for just a season or two. Even if the producers have envisioned just one or two seasons for a show, "management" will occasionally override the decision and stretch a series out if the ratings are good. For example, the producers of "Velvet" planned for the show to run just two seasons, but it turned out to be such a ratings blockbuster that Bambu Productions demanded two more seasons. That's why Miguel Angel Silvestre was MIA for almost the entire fourth season of "Velvet." He was under contract for only two seasons. He barely managed to film a third season only by flying back and forth from all over the globe to shoot "Sens8" and "Velvet" simultaneously. By the fourth season he was already filming two series, "Sens8" and "Narcos," so squeezing "Velvet" in was flat-out impossible, no matter how much jet-lag. I'm guessing that they left an opening for a second season of "Morocco" just in case, but the ratings weren't good enough to get a renewal.

I just saw the trailer on Netflix. I had no idea that Netflix was showing a dubbed version of "Morocco." Is there an original version with subtitles available if you'd rather watch that? Or is only the dubbed version available?

Smile23

On the Ice
The series creator said in a tweet that there would be no second season because from the start he envisioned just one season. A lot of Spanish series are like that, storylines with defined ends that are intended for just a season or two. Even if the producers have envisioned just one or two seasons for a show, "management" will occasionally override the decision and stretch a series out if the ratings are good. For example, the producers of "Velvet" planned for the show to run just two seasons, but it turned out to be such a ratings blockbuster that Bambu Productions demanded two more seasons. That's why Miguel Angel Silvestre was MIA for almost the entire fourth season of "Velvet." He was under contract for only two seasons. He barely managed to film a third season only by flying back and forth from all over the globe to shoot "Sens8" and "Velvet" simultaneously. By the fourth season he was already filming two series, "Sens8" and "Narcos," so squeezing "Velvet" in was flat-out impossible, no matter how much jet-lag. I'm guessing that they left an opening for a second season of "Morocco" just in case, but the ratings weren't good enough to get a renewal.

I just saw the trailer on Netflix. I had no idea that Netflix was showing a dubbed version of "Morocco." Is there an original version with subtitles available if you'd rather watch that? Or is only the dubbed version available?

Netflix has both versions available. I watched the subtitled version on Netflix. I can't deal with dubbed versions. I don't know how people watch dubbed shows.

CokGuzel

Final Flight
The series creator said in a tweet that there would be no second season because from the start he envisioned just one season. A lot of Spanish series are like that, storylines with defined ends that are intended for just a season or two. Even if the producers have envisioned just one or two seasons for a show, "management" will occasionally override the decision and stretch a series out for another season or two if the ratings are good. For example, the producers of "Velvet" planned for the show to run just two seasons, but it turned out to be such a ratings blockbuster that Bambu Productions demanded two more seasons (the 3rd season was good; the 4th was blech). I'm guessing that they left an opening for a second season of "Morocco" just in case, but the ratings weren't good enough to get a renewal.

That’s too bad. The actors are really good, the story is simple but very intriguing, no crazy twists, just a story about love, friendship, duty, the characters making life-altering and difficult decisions and just life. I’ve been watching Morocco on Netflix and I assume everyone are too. It’s subtitled with English, I prefer to listen in Spanish, and hear their own voices and follow the subtitles.