2018 Canadian Nationals Junior Women - SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Junior Women - SP

Cotop was chosen in the end. I predicted this last season but I really thought Schumacher would be the girl instead after watching the JGP. However Alison seems to have done herself in by doing pairs. Oh well, most Canadian girls are late(r) bloomers anyways. We can just watch & cheer.
Well that's quite contradictory from what they did at the Senior level isn't it? Using similar logic Chartrand should have been the pick. Hopefully she does well and we get more spots for 2019.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well that's quite contradictory from what they did at the Senior level isn't it? Using similar logic Chartrand should have been the pick. Hopefully she does well and we get more spots for 2019.
How is it like that decision? Alaine had almost no body of work the last couple of seasons because she hasn't been skating well, so they just went with the 3rd place lady.
In the case of the juniors, Olivia had a bit of a better SP (~6 points better tech, almost identical PCS). In the FS, Aurora scored ~13 points higher than Olivia. Her components were a bit higher, but her tech was also ~10 points higher than Olivia. The seniors also have a choreo element, but Aurora only got 2.7 points for that. Olivia had 5 triples, one with a fall. Aurora had 6, one under-rotated. Overall, Aurora scored higher, and that was fair imo. I get the argument for Olivia, but it's not like she outscored Aurora at this event. They went with the girl who scored highest. If Aurora was still in junior, she would have beaten Olivia imo. Especially since Aurora would have been in the final group for the FS in that case.

How is it like that decision? Alaine had almost no body of work the last couple of seasons because she hasn't been skating well, so they just went with the 3rd place lady.
In the case of the juniors, Olivia had a bit of a better SP (~6 points better tech, almost identical PCS). In the FS, Aurora scored ~13 points higher than Olivia. Her components were a bit higher, but her tech was also ~10 points higher than Olivia. The seniors also have a choreo element, but Aurora only got 2.7 points for that. Olivia had 5 triples, one with a fall. Aurora had 6, one under-rotated. Overall, Aurora scored higher, and that was fair imo. I get the argument for Olivia, but it's not like she outscored Aurora at this event. They went with the girl who scored highest. If Aurora was still in junior, she would have beaten Olivia imo. Especially since Aurora would have been in the final group for the FS in that case.

I said in an earlier post that Cotop would get the assignment, I was merely trying to understand the logic. You cannot compare the scores from different panels, we are far from having that luxury. This was a judgement call. A case can be made for either Cotop, Shoemaker or Gran for different reasons.

Austman has little international experience and has never been Canadian Champion in Senior. Granted Austman beat Chartrand in ONE competition, again a judgement call supported only by ranking in one competition.