2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs - SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs - SP

disco_dannio

Rinkside
Eric foot down on the lutz and Megan foot down on the throw. Twist was wonky. I think inflation wow. That was not going to beat the Russians or Sui Han they need to fix the little mistakes but nerves understandable. Those were a lot of errors for that score. Understandable inflation for Canada but in Oly they need to fix those things. I like this program on them though.

One of the problems with a program like this is that it really emphasizes poor unison. The music is slow, and they've (rightly) matched it with slower movements, stroking that's held longer, etc. Watch this program again carefully, and focus on Eric and Megan's lower body. What struck me watching tonight was how poor their unison was! Movements were not matched at all, whether we're talking about cross-overs, turns, extension, choreography, etc.

While I appreciated this program the other time I saw it, I thought that here it didn't work as well, and rather successfully highlighted all the things that they're criticized for... Clearly the best here overall, but I it's interesting that most of the lower pairs, even in Canada, though less polished overall, usually have better basic unison.

Anyhoo, my two cents. Still wish them best of luck.

DD

skatemouse

On the Ice
One of the problems with a program like this is that it really emphasizes poor unison. The music is slow, and they've (rightly) matched it with slower movements, stroking that's held longer, etc. Watch this program again carefully, and focus on Eric and Megan's lower body. What struck me watching tonight was how poor their unison was! Movements were not matched at all, whether we're talking about cross-overs, turns, extension, choreography, etc.

While I appreciated this program the other time I saw it, I thought that here it didn't work as well, and rather successfully highlighted all the things that they're criticized for... Clearly the best here overall, but I it's interesting that most of the lower pairs, even in Canada, though less polished overall, usually have better basic unison.

Anyhoo, my two cents. Still wish them best of luck.

DD

Yes and maybe that was why it overall looked nervous to me? Slow as you said and unison. She was so piked in the twist and the throw and had to fight for both and Eric tends to tap his landing toe in two footing the lutz more so when he is nervous. As you said overall the best pair here but the tech mark was way inflated. They are definitely the best in this field. Maybe they will relax in the FS. At the Olympics look for the judges to ping them for these errors if they can't skate more relaxed. I love their fight though. It will be exciting.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I concur. I’m 99.9% sure I’ve read that Dylan will be retiring after this season. All that hard work and dedication he and Lubov put into their career and partnership when at one point they both thought they were done with competitive skating altogether... it would be such a shame if they didn’t make it to Korea. :sad21:

Yeah, especially since she fast-tracked her citizenship.

beki

Medalist
I forget where I saw MTM2 really nail their short program this year, but I noticed multiple bobbles compared to that. S/B were solid on everything except the SBS jumps. I agree with the placements today.

kresslia

Medalist
I love S/B's SP! I just love them and am still hoping they evolve into a top team in the next quad.

MT/M's score seems low to me since they've scored higher than that internationally when clean and I didn't notice any super obvious errors? Not an expert though, guess I missed something.

skatemouse

On the Ice
In case anyone else wants to discuss the phantom two foot on the 3Lz, here are the jumps in gif format: https://imgur.com/a/sZIpT
Sorry landing foot toe pick goes in before checks out. It was noted on a few twitter accts including Rockerskating but it is seen often by Eric. It is a habit when he pikes. It' ok it's more of something skaters do when they are not feeling confident and it is a habit more than anything and he had issues with the jump on the warmup so my guess he was not feeling it today but he did enough. SO not sure the issue. The proticals had some 0 and -1 for the element but they needed to inflate them obviously. Won't be a problem at their own Nationals and I really like this team.

rain

Record Breaker
I hope S/B and I/M make it. Maybe the FS will go better for them and after the SP all the teams will relax more.

I think only the second place team (let's be realistic, D/R are going to win this) is safe for the Olympic team. That third place is going to be a tough discussion, I think. I really, really hope I/M make it, for totally sentimental reasons. And I hope S/B make it, too. MT-M have already said they're continuing another quad anyway...

rain

Record Breaker
MT/M's score seems low to me since they've scored higher than that internationally when clean and I didn't notice any super obvious errors? Not an expert though, guess I missed something.

Their lift was super scary. My guess is that has something to do with it.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Sorry landing foot toe pick goes in before checks out. It was noted on a few twitter accts including Rockerskating but it is seen often by Eric. It is a habit when he pikes. It' ok it's more of something skaters do when they are not feeling confident and it is a habit more than anything and he had issues with the jump on the warmup so my guess he was not feeling it today but he did enough. SO not sure the issue. The proticals had some 0 and -1 for the element but they needed to inflate them obviously. Won't be a problem at their own Nationals and I really like this team.

Was not a problem for the judges or technical panel. They got appropriate GOEs.

Inflation at Nationals happens in various countries. I am not sure what's so surprising here?

rain

Record Breaker
I love S/B's SP! I just love them and am still hoping they evolve into a top team in the next quad.

This is choreographically one of my favourite SPs of the season, from anyone.

Their twist was absolutely divine, with the catch perfectly timed to the music. The dance-style footwork was really impressive. They're really starting to own the mood of the program, too. Their great speed across the ice was really noticeable here as well.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:eeking::rofl::slink: Careful there! What a die-hard skating fan!

HeeHee, I’m as hardcore as they come. ;)

Don’t worry, the streaming iPhone was attached directly beside my GPS, both of which I glance at minimally while driving. Unlike a Toronto Maple Leafs game, I can’t listen to skating competitions on AM radio in the car, so listening to a livestream is the next best thing. :laugh:;)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh, I just noticed Brittney and Joshua’s absence here. Did they withdraw? Retire? Was there an injury?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They haven't competed all season. Likely have retired.

Ohhh, that’s too bad. I have some connections with the Hamilton Skating Club, and Brittney and Josh trained there at times with Bryce Davison. I should nose around for more info.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Purich/Portz also split and now Purich is skating with Bryce Chudak. Justine & Mark will also likely join the senior pairs next season. It's going to be a different landscape. Hopefully Lubov & Dylan can accomplish their goals and move on by then.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm so worried for tomorrow. Come on Lubov and Dylan..find a way.

I love S/B's SP to Everybody wants to rule the world. I actually like Lorde's take on the song even if it will always be a tears for fears song in my mind.

I just can't relax with MM. And that lift did look less than stable to me.

Well done by D/R. Really all they have to do here is not zamboni it in the free and they will win.