2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs - SP | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs - SP

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
2018 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships - Senior Pairs Short Program

Friday, January 12 at 15:00 PST
(Time in other cities)

Airing on TSN4 and TSN5 at 20:30 EST / 17:30 PST

Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre
6066 Thunderbird Blvd
Vancouver, BC

Schedule in Pacific Standard Time
Results
English live stream
French live stream
Video
Results & Videos thread
No Spoilers Videos thread

Golden Skate coverage: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

Starting #NameProgram MusicSectionGroup #
1Camille Ruest / Drew WolfeSP: Oblivion (J'Oublie) performed by Marisa Lemcke, choreographed by Julie Marcotte
FS: Earth Song by Michael Jackson, Home by Armand Armar, choreographed by Julie Marcotte
QC1
2Evelyn Walsh / Trennt MichaudSP: The Light That Never Fails by Andra Day, choreographed by Alison Purkiss
FS: Can't Help Falling In Love by Hugo Pereth performed by Ingrid Michaelson, choreographed by Lance Vipond
ON1
3Julianne Seguin / Charlie BilodeauSP: Everybody Wants to Rule the World performed by Lorde, choreographed by M.-F. Dubreuil, P. Lauzon, Samuel Choinard
FS: Where's My Love by Syml , choreographed by M.-F. Dubreuil, P. Lauzon, D. Wilson
QC1
4Sydney Kolodziej / Maxime DeschampsSP: Satellite by Colin James; Surely (I Love You) by James C. Bracken, Mickey Oliver performed by Colin James and the Little Big Band, choreographed by Julie Marcotte
FS: Opening (from "Far from the Madding Crowd") by Craig Armstrong; Love Theme (from "Far from the Madding Crowd") by Craig Armstrong; End Credits (from "Far from the Madding Crowd") by Craig Armstrong, choreographed by Julie Marcotte
QC2
5Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael MarinaroSP: Sweet Dreams performed by Terez Montcalm; Sweet Dreams performed by Escala, choreographed by Julie Marcotte
FS: Un Ange Passe by Alain Lefevre, choreographed by Julie Marcotte
ON2
6Lubov Ilyushechkina / Dylan MoscovitchSP: Tango Jalousie, choreographed by David Wilson and Marie-France Dubreuil
FS: At This Moment performed by Billy Vera & The Beaters, choreographed by David Wislon and Sandra Bezic
ON2
7Meagan Duhamel / Eric RadfordSP: With Or Without You by U2 performed by April Meservy ft. Aaron Edson, choreographed by John Kerr & Julie Marcotte
FS: Hometown Glory by Adele, choreographed by Julie Marcotte
QC2
WDShalena Rau / Johann WilkinsonSP: I Put a Spell on You performed by Jeff Beck, Joss Stone
FS: Io Ci Sarò by Andrea Bocelli, Lang Lang
ON

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Before the season started, I presumed Team Canada for Pyeongchang would be comprised of D/R, I/M and Se/Bil, but after the Grand Prix series, I have no certainty about the selection except D/R. The pair competition will be very interesting.

Scout

Final Flight
Before the season started, I presumed Team Canada for Pyeongchang would be comprised of D/R, I/M and Se/Bil, but after the Grand Prix series, I have no certainty about the selection except D/R. The pair competition will be very interesting.

Agreed. One team is going to be devastated, which means the only certainty is that it will be a bittersweet event for me.

Sackie

Medalist

I still think S/B will be chosen for the Olympic Team since they still are the future of Pairs in Canada. So even if they are a close 4th I think they will be going. Have a feeling the team on the outs here will be I/M. Not sure she can hold up with her triple jumps under such pressure.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
As much as I believe that I/M should be going because of the 6th place at worlds, and bronze at 4CC last year, they are retiring after this season. I would rather give the spots to S/B and MT/M because they are young enough to be around in 2022, and they should get the experience now for the olympics. In addition, none of them (except D/R) are potential medal contenders in the individual event.

Scout

Final Flight
As much as I believe that I/M should be going because of the 6th place at worlds, and bronze at 4CC last year, they are retiring after this season. I would rather give the spots to S/B and MT/M because they are young enough to be around in 2022, and they should get the experience now for the olympics. In addition, none of them (except D/R) are potential medal contenders in the individual event.

I don't think that's fair to Lubov and Dylan. Someone should have told them to give up on the dream and not to waste their time and money in that case.

Sticking around for 4 more years is not a selection criteria. And so much can change in four years. Giving S/B or MT/M the spot because they might be around and might be Canada's top pairs in four years doesn't seem fair.

Between MT/M, S/B and I/M, I think in this case it should just be whoever places 2nd & 3rd. No one team is so much better that 4th place should bump 3rd.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Realistically speaking I/M already have their spot to the Olympics. The fact that they've let it be widely known that they're retiring in addition to their 2016-17 accomplishments seals that deal, regardless of Nationals performances. It's between S/B and M-T/M. S/B with their junior success and their GPF appearance last season likely have the edge. I wouldn't count Kirsten & Michael out, but I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow end up 4th and waiting another 4 years. It's just going to be a sad situation for whoever misses out on the Olympics.

Scout

Final Flight
Realistically speaking I/M already have their spot to the Olympics. The fact that they've let it be widely known that they're retiring in addition to their 2016-17 accomplishments seals that deal, regardless of Nationals performances. It's between S/B and M-T/M. S/B with their junior success and their GPF appearance last season likely have the edge. I wouldn't count Kirsten & Michael out, but I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow end up 4th and waiting another 4 years. It's just going to be a sad situation for whoever misses out on the Olympics.

Just as I don't think I/M should be left off the team because they aren't the future, I also don't think the fact they're retiring should be a factor that gets them on the team.

I do think that if they skate their best and deliver, they will be on the podium. But if errors are made, and the other two teams deliver, then I don't think they'll get the spot.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Just as I don't think I/M should be left off the team because they aren't the future, I also don't think the fact they're retiring should be a factor that gets them on the team.

I do think that if they skate their best and deliver, they will be on the podium. But if errors are made, and the other two teams deliver, then I don't think they'll get the spot.

I know it shouldn't play a role, but it likely will. Though for their part they did do their best in 2016-17 to prove themselves and it was, in part, their efforts that helped ensure Canada has 3 spots at the Olympics. If they make mistakes I can't see them going lower than 3rd. Just my 2 cents.

danse

On the Ice
My stomach aches every time I think about the Senior Pairs competition here, knowing that we have (at least) 4 fantastic teams, but realistically, 3 teams fighting for two spots since I can't imagine anything would really stop Duhamel & Radford from taking a spot. I love I/M, M-T/M and S/B in much different ways and it's so hard for me to choose who I'd want to see on the Olympic team, but I'm hoping S/B and I/M pull through. I'll be sad no matter which way it goes, but perhaps that's how I'll be least sad?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
My stomach aches every time I think about the Senior Pairs competition here, knowing that we have (at least) 4 fantastic teams, but realistically, 3 teams fighting for two spots since I can't imagine anything would really stop Duhamel & Radford from taking a spot. I love I/M, M-T/M and S/B in much different ways and it's so hard for me to choose who I'd want to see on the Olympic team, but I'm hoping S/B and I/M pull through. I'll be sad no matter which way it goes, but perhaps that's how I'll be least sad?

I second this, adding also Men's competition to my heartbreak, because there is such versality, diversity and interesting factor for me in Canadian Men (similarly to US ones, but I am in general a fan of both due to musicality and interpretation/performance skills in particular) - I just count on a great competition in both categories, and for Pairs to get out the best of them!

and props for avatar - feels like Canadian Nats are here!:)

danse

On the Ice
I second this, adding also Men's competition to my heartbreak, because there is such versality, diversity and interesting factor for me in Canadian Men (similarly to US ones, but I am in general a fan of both due to musicality and interpretation/performance skills in particular) - I just count on a great competition in both categories, and for Pairs to get out the best of them!

and props for avatar - feels like Canadian Nats are here!:)

I think all the disciplines will be interesting to say the least, at least at the top echelon. We have Kaetlyn Osmond, who will hopefully have a more consistent long program, Gabi Daleman who might include a quad, and that third spot which is up for grabs. In Dance, Virtue & Moir have made some changes to their FD which I can't wait to see, Piper & Paul have a brand-new FD and Kaitlyn & Andrew are just wonderful in general, so it'll be interesting to see that battle. Pairs... gulp. Men's... I can't wait to see what training in the West Coast has done for Patrick and to see how the men step up for that Olympic spot. I'm nervous and excited and I won't even be there live, but I'll be in my house, attached to my TV in anticipation. If I can survive this, there's a chance that I can make it through Olympics. LOL

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think all the disciplines will be interesting to say the least, at least at the top echelon. We have Kaetlyn Osmond, who will hopefully have a more consistent long program, Gabi Daleman who might include a quad, and that third spot which is up for grabs. In Dance, Virtue & Moir have made some changes to their FD which I can't wait to see, Piper & Paul have a brand-new FD and Kaitlyn & Andrew are just wonderful in general, so it'll be interesting to see that battle. Pairs... gulp. Men's... I can't wait to see what training in the West Coast has done for Patrick and to see how the men step up for that Olympic spot. I'm nervous and excited and I won't even be there live, but I'll be in my house, attached to my TV in anticipation. If I can survive this, there's a chance that I can make it through Olympics. LOL

yeah, 'attached to the TV/laptop/phone screen' will be also my notion for the weekend:), and it seems we wouldn't be able to catch a break until Olympics, with Euros starting next week, the 4CC - in such times, I'm grateful for my mom pushing me to get a new phone with easy Internet access, it literally saved all those events for me:laugh:

Pairs is definitely an event where there is some depth, and sadly one team who could make a presentable showing, even if not for a medal, will be left off the Olympic team.

I do not have a favourite amongst the four teams; I admit to appreciating each for different reasons and attributes. D&R are powerful and athletic, I&M have a softer/ethereal appearance, S&B can make me smile at their dancing style, M-T/M have come on this year as a much improved team.

So, what can I do but cheer for them all! :hap85:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, may each team show its finest and leave on competition ice the best of performances! A win for the skaters, and definitely a win for us fans! :yay:

KMK0902

On the Ice
I really really really hope that Dylan and Luba can pull it together and make it to Korea!

I happen to be one of about 3 people in the entire world (outside their circle) who loves both their programs this year.

Canada1

Spectator
I think nearly everybody agrees Duhammel and Radford are secure with first on the podium, and that the other three teams are competing for two spots. I don't understand why so many people think S & B and I & M are clearly ahead of MT & M. To me, although S & B have qualified for GPF, they have not yet delivered a World Performance ranking higher than MT & M (the highest either have finished has been 8th in 2015... but S & B finished below 8th last year...IIRC they finished 11th/12th - MT & M were 8th in 2016).

Since I & M were relied upon to earn 3 spots for Canada at the Olympics, I can not realistically see Skate Canada deciding not to give Dylan another chance to go to the Olympics. To me, KMT and Michael Marinaro are the most improved team, and have the best two programs of any of the three teams fighting for the spots. They have kept their noses down and have clearly worked hard and it shows. Of the three teams fighting, to me they have the most upside, they are continually getting better, and with Kirsten's star power I can actually see them becoming serious contenders for 2022 if they continue to improve how they have over the past four years, and continue to increase their technical difficulties like they did this year with their unique SBS combo. Every time I watch them skate their skating skills and transitions have improved drastically. I also think Michael gets a lot of unwarranted hate on this forum. While MT & M did take a while to gel as a couple, they have very complicated entries/exits on their lifts with position changes plus fast rotations....and their twist is much much better.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed. One team is going to be devastated, which means the only certainty is that it will be a bittersweet event for me.

This situation sounds a bit like US men, where we had one podium spot that was a virtual lock, and four other men fighting for two spots.

But the conventional wisdom was wrong - Ross Miner wasn't one of those men.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is so fascinating. MtM and M have improved a lot especially the lifts - he use to struggle getting her in the air and she doesn't weight much. All the Canadians struggle a bit with the sbs but then again that is the story for many teams. None of them have awesome programs but we will see w hat scores they get especially with the Americans generous scoriong - will Canada follow suit. The Knerims had two major errors in their long program and scored 135 and change.