2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs - SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs - SP

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I don't think it's fair to compare World Championship rankings for S/B and M-T/M. The first Worlds S/B went to they were still juniors. Despite that they did well. The Worlds in 2016 and 2017 were vastly different for pairs. The 2017 edition was a tougher competition being the major Olympics qualifier. Two of the Russian teams skated better. One of the new Chinese pairs outperformed all of the Canadian teams. Vanessa & Morgan improved dramatically. Marchei/Hotarek also had a strong finish. Even with all that and being Canada's #3 team Julianne & Charlie finished 11th, higher than Russia's #3 team and the #2 team of Italy (and Denney/Frazier too but they didn't manage to make the FS). I am not sure M-T/M could do better.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I don't think Marinano receives an unwarranted hate on the forum at all just as he is less frequently mentioned compared to the other Canadian pairs. I read through past GP event threads and many voiced that his twists/lifts/throws looked scary. They primarily concerned about safety, so questioning his abilities as a male partner is a warranted concern. I can't wipe out my memory that Kirsten hit so hard on her back at Nationals because of Marinano's mistake and TSN showed Kirsten moaning over her back pain for a while. It was thankful that she wasn't injured seriously but that scenes may traumatize everyone who watched it including me. We all know pairs is a risky sport but once you see such things, it is hard to forget and to give a strong image on the skater.

On the other hand, Kirsten is in fact the one getting some negativity from pair fans because she dumped Dylan, the superior partner than Marinano when it comes to lifts/twists/throws, so they could've achieved much more than the newly formed partnerships. It is more a feeling over unfulfilled potentials. However, she is so lovely to watch, so I don't think the level of negativity against her is also serious. She has a star quality, so can make people forget about the past.

Despite all this, Kirsten and Michael are progressing steadily, so I was impressed by their free program at Skate America although their mistake in SP didn't make them close to the podium contention in one of the deepest fields during the GP series. Their basics are good and have a great chemistry on the ice and they plan to compete until 2022, the improvement during the Olympic season is good for them. They may beat I/M or S/B at Nationals and get on board for Olympics, so that's why the event will be very interesting.

Canada1

Spectator
I think a lot of people are surprised to see big pair falls, but many people fall out of twists/lifts/etc. While Kirsten was suffering back spasms as a result (I think), its worth nothing they completed a long program the next day... I think hate against Kirsten for "dumping" Dylan is also unwarranted, as only they really know what happened in that partnership..it's entirely possible that Skate Canada/coaches/etc put some pressure Kirsten because like you said, she might have unfulfilled potential as a 21 year old (vs a 28 year old), and that she should start building and working on that potential now, rather than attaching her cart to a horse who is quite a bit older than her. She's certainly not the only 21 year old who has changed partnerships etc... I think sometimes we forget that these are real people making real life choices, not just athletes here for our entertainment. It seems like Dylan and Kirsten are still quite friendly with each other so if they are able to be friendly towards each other I struggle to grasp why outsiders who are unaffected cant be friendly toward both teams? That being said of course everyone will have their own preference of which team they prefer!! which is completely fair and one of the best parts of figure skating :)

Regarding World's it is true that of course the field was extremely different and less dense. But, Moore-Towers and Marinaro have beaten the Kneirims in the USA this year, almost twice (only falling a point short in Skate America), they have beaten the Italians, and have shown recently they are able to measure up in the same field.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Julianne & Charlie have already beaten the Knierims. :)

We just have to let it play out. Whoever is in the top 3 should go. The only situation we'll have trouble is if I/M are 4th. Then we'll have some Adam Rippon situation play out.

Roo87

Medalist
Julianne and Charlie looked great in practise. i LOVEEEE that SD, heck yes they wanna rule the world. Didn't see any killer SBS jumps, but hopefully they nail them in competition. Watching the practise makes me so nervous, why can't all 4 teams go???

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Really liking Julianne and and Charlie's SP, but after seeing Kolodziej/Deschamps one I cannot shake the feeling that Julianne and Charlie would perform the heck out of it, as I totally see them in more energetic aesthetic/type of program:)

LisaS

On the Ice
Watching the practices today, Meagan and Eric have gone back to Hometown Glory for their Freeskate.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
HOT UPDATE Everyone: Ted Barton just said on the practice stream that TSN/CTV are allowing Skate Canada to stream ALL of the ladies' short program, ALL of the pairs short program tomorrow. They will still stream only the 1st Dance group (not the big guns in the 2nd group) and only the first 2 groups of the men (not the big guns in the 3rd group). Hooray!!!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
HOT UPDATE Everyone: Ted Barton just said on the practice stream that TSN/CTV are allowing Skate Canada to stream ALL of the ladies' short program, ALL of the pairs short program tomorrow. They will still stream only the 1st Dance group (not the big guns in the 2nd group) and only the first 2 groups of the men (not the big guns in the 3rd group). Hooray!!!

Great news. Not only that, I didn't know that Ted, the praised JGP commentator is a Canadian. Skate Canada does the right choice to use his expertise for the National event.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't want MT/M to go, even when they do land their jumps and throws they just don't present the quality of S/B and I/M.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Is this the event with the most potential for drama? It's certainly the one I'm most looking forward to! :yahoo: Great diversity among the teams and they all have their strengths and weakness. I want everyone to bring it! :pray: I'm praying that my new Barb and Paul (I/M) find a way to land those jumps--love me some 80-90s Sandra Bezic programs. :yay:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Is this the event with the most potential for drama? It's certainly the one I'm most looking forward to! :yahoo: Great diversity among the teams and they all have their strengths and weakness. I want everyone to bring it! :pray: I'm praying that my new Barb and Paul (I/M) find a way to land those jumps--love me some 80-90s Sandra Bezic programs. :yay:

watching them at practice via phone yesterday I thought the same:laugh:

we can dwell on modernity and novelties introduced in skating style, musical choices, but the vintage feels just so good when done the way Liubov and Dylan are doing it - it may sound cheesy, but with this team I'm just not bothered by the slightest by the 'literacy' of choreography at places, the whole picture just feels very real, believable and as an illustration of the song. Despite SBS :)palmf:), they are one of those pairs that can mesmerize audience by the sole character creation and emotion given out of program, intricacy and flow of lifts and connection/chemistry.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
All of my positive vibes are going toward S/B and I/M so I had none for Andrew and he fell on his twizzles.

Come on Lubov.. land your jumps. Or fall but at least rotate a triple.

GGFan

Record Breaker
All of my positive vibes are going toward S/B and I/M so I had none for Andrew and he fell on his twizzles.

Come on Lubov.. land your jumps. Or fall but at least rotate a triple.

I'm hoping for a two foot at least.