Ski Jumping! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ski Jumping!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Good, the Olympic Movement is all about gender equality and such. Now, bring on the male rhythmic gymnastics and synchronised swimming, LOL (or drop these sports if not gender equal :devil:)
I remember that, about 20 years ago, a couple of ski jumping experts thought that women could very well compete with the men and would do well. It was because of some exceptionally talented girls. But after they hit puberty it became clear that this just wasn't the case. So the women have their own events now and it's becoming more popular, also because of the mixed team event.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ryoyu was fantastic!
He is the best Grand Slam winner imho, because he had to do a couple of his jumps in really poor conditions compared to the rest of the field.
He benefited from the new rule change this year (athletes are weighted without their boots, so they have to weight about 1.5 kg more), but I approve of this rule change, so I'm not complaining. And the other athletes had time to adapt over the summer, he's just the best technician at the moment.

He is amazing! :love: Great technique, I agree. His jumps are like WOW! I think he may challenge for most won competitions in one season, considering how many he already won :) Personally, I'm glad we finally have someone outside of Europe to dominate the season, I was worrying the sport will soon end up being just European. But Team Japan look better this season :) And late, but still, Congrats on wining GRand Slam of Four Hills Tournament! Also, winning 5 competitions in a row? Not many were able to do that!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ryoyu is jumping like Adam Małysz in his best years! I mean, like he's out jumping all the other by like 10 meters! He's already got 6 wins in a row, he might beat the record if he wins today :rock:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
What competition is on now?

The Alps are being hit by some really bad weather, hindering all winter sports events.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What competition is on now?

The Alps are being hit by some really bad weather, hindering all winter sports events.

It was Nordic Combined. And yes, the wind was pretty strong. Fortunately now, during Ski Jumping 1st run it's okay. unlike for Quali...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Dawid Kubacki won his first competition! :hap93: I'm super happy for him, he had a few very good competitions already this season, glad he finally is on the top :hap10:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
First Ski Flying competition this season is looking good! :hap10:

ETA: Congrats to Timi Zajc on winning!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
First Ski Flying competition this season is looking good! :hap10:

ETA: Congrats to Timi Zajc on winning!

A great result. You don't really expect somebody so young to win a Ski Flying competition, because of there being a minimum age in place for Flying. You expect them to take a few years to get used to the differences. But Timi just did it straight away. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Still scary to think that he was born on this side of the Millennium. Makes you feel old! :eek:

A thought crossed my mind yesterday. I wonder if it is a deliberate plan at Oberstdorf that they host figure skating and ski jumping events close together.

Over the New Year period, Daniel Weiss' annual Ice Gala is normally held an hour or so after the end of the Qualifying for Oberstdorf's round of the Four Hills.

We are currently in the middle of Oberstdorf's Ski Flying event. And on Wednesday, the Bavarian Open figure skating Senior B starts.

Hey, it's a pity I didn't realise sooner, because these would have fitted nicely into a 10 day trip. Although, I haven't priced how much flights would be to that part of the world recently, and I would say it would work out a LOT more expensive a trip than the one I was planning to Czech Skate would have been.

Right, I've taken longer to write what I wanted to, and we've started.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are a lot of reports coming out of Finland saying that Matti Nykänen has died.

Here is the initial story on YLE's website:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10628903

And another story of reactions in his hometown to the news:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10628999

Just shocked.

My thoughts are with his family, friends and the whole ski jumping community.

CaroLiza_fan

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Haven't there been 15 year old Finnland boys medaling in ski jumping at their first big competitions in the past? Being slight of stature and light in weight makes you fly with the help of the skis and suit.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Haven't there been 15 year old Finnland boys medaling in ski jumping at their first big competitions in the past? Being slight of stature and light in weight makes you fly with the help of the skis and suit.

But there is a gentlemen's agreement in place between the coaches that kids aren't allowed to do the Ski Flying hills until they are 18. Like, remember when Domen Prevc was doing so well during his debut full World Cup season a couple of years ago, but had to sit out the Flying competitions because he was too young.

So, for an 18 year old to win a Ski Flying competition is a big deal.

And Zajc's results in the next 2 competitions over the weekend proved that this wasn't a flash in the pan. He really has taken to Ski Flying like a duck to water:

Friday - 1[SUP]st[/SUP]
Saturday - 9[SUP]th[/SUP]
Suniday - 13[SUP]th[/SUP]

Have to say, I am amazed that yesterday's competition did manage to get 2 rounds run. Well done to the organisers for their wise decision making. :points:

Here are the first English language articles I have found about Nykänen's death.

Firstly, the announcement on the official FIS Ski Jumping website:

https://www.fis-ski.com/ski-jumping...media/news/2018-19/matti-nykaenen-passed-away

Secondly, YLE has posted a detailed article in English here:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/...ping_legend_matti_nykanen_dead_at_55/10629072

CaroLiza_fan

pohatta

On the Ice

Toni Nieminen was 16 when he won the Olympics. That was when the new v-style was finally accepted as a legit flying style and the young jumpers adopted it first. Although he only had one really good season, he later managed to make history by becoming the first man to jump over 200 m.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Congratulations to Marcus Eisenbichler, our new World Champion! :clap: Also, congrats to Karl Gieger and Kilian Peier on their podium finish! I have to admit, I was so sure Ryoyu Kobayashi will medal, but his second jump wasn't the best...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Does this mean the ski jumping season has come to a close?

Eurosport devoted so much of its time to ski jumping, it must have been heavily sponsored.

Watching lots of it learns you how to appreciate the intricacies, but I prefer other winter sports with more action.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does this mean the ski jumping season has come to a close?

Eurosport devoted so much of its time to ski jumping, it must have been heavily sponsored.

Watching lots of it learns you how to appreciate the intricacies, but I prefer other winter sports with more action.

No, the World Cup doesn't finish for another month, and it is a jam packed month at that. We still have the whole of the Raw Air tournee in Norway, and then the traditional season finale at the ski flying hills at Planica.

And today's competition (the Big Hill Individual competition) was only the first competition of Worlds. We still have the Big Hill Team competition tomorrow, and then all the Normal Hill competitions next week.

But, on the subject of the World Championships and Eurosport, I am very disappointed that Eurosport are not providing World Feed streams on the Player for any of the skiing World Championships. Admittedly, the TV coverage for the Nordic Worlds has not been too bad so far (although, I have only been watching the ski jumping LIVE so far). But, it was awful for the Alpine Worlds the past couple of weeks. They were cutting away from the competitions after the first 30 skiers, and then had Bodie Millar talking for the next 20 minutes instead of showing more of the skiers!

Even the BBC were staying longer! :drama: (Although, that was just until the British skiers came down, and then they cut away immediately after they were all down)

But, I digress.

Getting back to today's ski jumping, the highlight of the competition was actually seeing the celebrations of the Swiss team after Peier got third position. They were absolutely delighted for him! Like, that is the happiest I have seen Simon Ammann for a few years.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Wow, today's cometetion was super weird AND unfair. But could anyone ever predict scenario that you can jump from 27th place to 1st? :eeking: Anyway, congrats to Dawid Kubacki, Kamil Stoch and Stefan Kraft! :hap57: I'd say the podium is not even suprising, though how the competition went, is.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Ski flying, only for dare devils, better called sky flying on skis

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ryoyu Kobayashi flew 252m :love: And of course he holds now a Hill record :cool: He is just incredible this season!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ryoyu won eveything :drama: World Cup, Ski Flying World Cup, Planica Seven and of course today's individual competition. Team Poland at least have Nations Cup! :hap10: