Ski Jumping! | Golden Skate

Ski Jumping!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The Four Hills Tournament is coming! So I thought I'll make a new thread for this fantastic sport :biggrin:

The last time a German has won a Tournament was Sven Hannavald in his golden year. And it was after Adam Małysz win, I wonder if Kamil Stoch winning last year is a good sign for Richard Freitag? :taunt::popcorn:

Manitou

Medalist
More importantly, I am hoping for a growing form of the Polish skiers peaking at the right time.

I wish somebody opens a discussion threat about alpine skiing. With Mikaela’s absolute dominance among ladies, this season looks very promising. I am her fan and I wish her five gold medals. I know it’s not easy, but three golds are actually very realistic. :)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
More importantly, I am hoping for a growing form of the Polish skiers peaking at the right time.

I wish somebody opens a discussion threat about alpine skiing. With Mikaela’s absolute dominance among ladies, this season looks very promising. I am her fan and I wish her five gold medals. I know it’s not easy, but three golds are actually very realistic. :)

There is thread for Alpine Skiing: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?68228-Alpine-Skiing :)

Stefan Horngacher knows what he's doing :) I'm sure Polish Team will be in good disposition for Olympics. But I love Four Hills Tournament because of its unpredictability. And it's Qualification time today! :hap93:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Four Hills Tournament is coming! So I thought I'll make a new thread for this fantastic sport :biggrin:

Ah good! I was waiting for somebody to start a Ski Jumping Thread! Thank you, cathlen! :bow: :clap: :points:

And thank you to the Admins for creating threads for the other sports being contested at the Olympics.

:thank:

The last time a German has won a Tournament was Sven Hannavald in his golden year. And it was after Adam Małysz win, I wonder if Kamil Stoch winning last year is a good sign for Richard Freitag? :taunt::popcorn:

Richard has been having a great season so far. But, we know from past experience that the 4 Hills are a different animal. They can bite. (Am I taking this metaphor too far? :laugh: )

The Norwegians could be dark horses this year, based on the World Cup so far. They are unbeaten in the Team competitions, and Tande and Forfang have been consistently up near the top in the individual competitions.

Kraft for Austria is another who has been consistently near the top.

And your man Stoch has been moving up the results tables the past few rounds. A slow start and building up to peak in January and February for the 4 Hills, World Championships and the Olympics is always a very wise tactic.

Have you been watching the series that Eurosport have been doing about Kamil? I missed the first episode, but the rest of it has been very interesting! He seems like a really nice ordinary guy. And his wife is just lovely! And I love the way that they are giving back tot he sport, in helping the next generation.

I admit that I am cheering more for him now after watching it.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I would love to go to this one year!!

I would specifically love to go to the Oberstdorf round of the 4 Hills one year. Because, they also have an Ice Gala on the same day as the ski jumping competition. So, you could theoretically kill 2 birds with one stone.

But, the problem is that there is not much time between the end of the ski jumping and the start of the ice gala. So, you could be hard pushed to get from the hill to the rink without missing anything. And if there were any delays in the ski jumping, that's you goosed!

So, maybe not such a good plan after all.

CaroLiza_fan

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I would specifically love to go to the Oberstdorf round of the 4 Hills one year. Because, they also have an Ice Gala on the same day as the ski jumping competition. So, you could theoretically kill 2 birds with one stone.

But, the problem is that there is not much time between the end of the ski jumping and the start of the ice gala. So, you could be hard pushed to get from the hill to the rink without missing anything. And if there were any delays in the ski jumping, that's you goosed!

So, maybe not such a good plan after all.

CaroLiza_fan

The distance from Schattenbergschanze to Eissportzentrum in Oberstdorf is only ten to fifteen minutes on foot.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Sc...5216d4fba1223c9a!8m2!3d47.4054648!4d10.293317

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The distance from Schattenbergschanze to Eissportzentrum in Oberstdorf is only ten to fifteen minutes on foot.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Sc...5216d4fba1223c9a!8m2!3d47.4054648!4d10.293317

Yeah, but then you have to factor in the crowds. With the sheer number of people that go to the ski jumping, it could take some considerable time to get out.

But, I've never been to a ski jumping competition, or to Oberstdorf, so I don't know what the flow of people is like.

Less than 20 minutes to go to the Qualifying! Doesn't seem that long since the season was starting, and we're already at the 4 Hills!

OK, so I was running a week behind in watching everything up to now. But, even so! The first part of the season absolutely flew past. :drama:

(Don't worry, I've caught up now. Although I won't be able to watch today's Qualifying LIVE as there is a film on that I've been waiting to see for a long time, and the BBC doesn't put films onto their On Demand service, whereas Eurosport does put the ski jumping onto their's)

CaroLiza_fan

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
But, I've never been to a ski jumping competition, or to Oberstdorf, so I don't know what the flow of people is like.
Memory may be playing tricks on me, but I think if you grabbed a spot on the balcony of the rink's restaurant... you might be close enough to the ramps to watch from there! :-D

ejnsofi

Final Flight

Four Hills are wild ride :drama: Every year I'm like "Nah I'm done with it" and later I find myself screaming my lungs out during Four Hills

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Kamil's second jump :love: I love it when Ski Jumpers are literally flying!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I haven't watched but I heard Richard Freitag WD from competition. Which is probably wise if he's thinking of winning Olympics. But too bad, because Kamil has such strong posiition right now, he's practically ensured winning Four Hills already. Bischoshoffen won't be as exciting. Unless he'll equalise Hannavald record... :popcorn:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The final competiiton of Four Hills is coming! :hap85: