2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Short Dance | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Short Dance

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
2018 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships - Senior Ice Dance Short Dance

Friday, January 12 at 12:26 PST
(Time in other cities)
Airing on TSN4 at 15:00 EST / 12:00 PST

Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre
6066 Thunderbird Blvd
Vancouver, BC

Schedule in Pacific Standard Time
Results
English live stream
French live stream
YouTube
Results & Videos thread
No Spoilers Videos thread

Golden Skate coverage: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

Starting #NameProgram MusicSectionGroup #
1Vanessa Chartrand / Alexander SeidelSD: Samba Pa Ti; Oye Como Va by Santana
FD: Lament performed by Antonio Banderas, Madonna; You Must Love Me performed by Madonna; Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina performed by Tango Extremo; Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina performed by Madonna composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber, from "Evita"
QC1
2Gina Cipriano / Jake RichardsonSD: Besame Mucho by Patrick Doyle feat. Cesária Évora; Borombon by Camilo Azuquita
FD: Jinsei no Merry-Go-Round; Sasurai no Sofie composed by Joe Hisaichi, from "Howl's Moving Castle"
QC1
3Ravie Cunningham / Cedar BridgewoodSD: Where Do I Begin (Away Team Mix) by Shirley Bassey; Chiqui Chiqui Boom
FD: Opening Title; Wait; composed by by Stephen Sondheim; Johanna by Jamie Campbell Bower feat. Johnny Depp and Laura Michelle Kelly; A Little Priest by Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, all from "Sweeney Todd"
BC/YK1
4Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre RazgulajevsSamba Vocalizado by Luciano Perrone; Lo So Che Finirà by Anna Tatangelo; Johnny’s Mambo by Michael Lloyd, choreographed by Carol Lane, Juris Razgulajevs
FD: Selections from "Mary Poppins", choreographed by Carol Lane, Juris Razgulajevs
ON1
5Sarah Arnold / Thomas WilliamsSD: Besame Mucho performed by Nana Mouskouri; (Sambando by Claudio Novelli???), choreographed by Megan Wing, Aaron Lowe
FD: Fall for You by Leela James; If I Ain't Got You by Alicia Keys, choreographed by Megan Wing, Aaron Lowe
BC/YK1
6Haley Sales / Nikolas WamsteekerRhumba: La Belleza performed by Marta Sanchez; Cha Cha: Cuentame que te paso performed by Pepe & The Bottle Blondes, choreographed by Megan Wing, Aaron Lowe
FD: Robin and Marian Suite by John Barry; Planting the Fields by Marc Streitenfeld; The Ride to Sherwood/The Ride to Nottingham (from "Robin and Marian" soundtrack) by John Barry, choreographed by Megan Wing, Aaron Lowe
BC/YK2
7Carolane Soucisse / Shane FirusSamba: Bailando by Enrique Iglesias; Rhumba: El Perdedor by Enrique Iglesias; Samba: Let Me Be Your Lover by Enrique Iglesias, choreographed by Marie-France Dubreuil, Romain Haguenauer
FD: I Won't Dance by Oscar Hammerstein II performed by Tony Bennett, Lady Gaga; Cheek To Cheek by Irving Berlin performed by Tony Bennett, Lady Gaga; I Won't Dance by Oscar Hammerstein II performed by Tony Bennett, Lady Gaga, choreographed by Marie-France Dubreuil, Romain Haguenauer
QC2
8Piper Gilles / Paul PoirierBossa Nova: Bossa Cubana; Mambo: Gopher Mambo by Yma Sumac, choreographed by Carol and Jon Lane, J. Razguliaevs, R. Bradshaw
FD: James Bond medley
ON2
9Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew PojeBolero: Tango by Dianne Reeves feat. Raul Midon; Mambo: Do You Only Wanna Dance by Lester Mendez, Sy Smith, Arturo O’Farrill performed by Julio Daviel Big Band
FD: Je Suis Malade by Alice Dona, Serge Lama performed by Lara Fabian
ON2
10Tessa Virtue / Scott MoirSamba: Sympathy for the Devil by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards performed by The Rolling Stones; Rhumba: Hotel California by Don Felders, Don Henley, Glenn Frey performed by Eagles; Cha Cha: Oye Como Va by Tito Puente performed by Santana, choreographed by David Wilson, M.-F. Dubreuil, S. Choinard
FD: El Tango de Roxanne (from "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack); Come What May (from "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack), choreographed by David Wilson, M.-F. Dubreuil, S. Choinard
QC2

I think the podium result is generally regarded as predictable but I also believe those behind them vying for the national team are capable of memorable skates I’ll want to watch again. Lay it on, everyone!

Go V&M! – I remember at 2006 SC someone asking me if you two youngsters were worthy of placing ahead of a recognized and seasoned team. My reply: “Oh, yes! They are that special.” Thanks Tessa & Scott for the kaleidoscope and variety of magical programs you’ve shown over the years. Also thanks for proving me right with my 2006 statement. ;) I will wish that your final appearance at Canadians this year is the best ever. Thanks for the memories!

Go W&P! – I appreciate and enjoy the texture and nuances of your dance and character interpretation. I’ve channeled my thoughts towards perfect twizzles from here on in to your final competitive skate (whenever that might be, and hopefully not for a few years yet).

Go G&P! – To me, a team with some of the most memorable themes and choreography, always some delightful nuggets of intrigue in steps and expression. Boogie your bossa nova and mambo! And I’m eager to see your take on James Bond – shake, don’t stir…

Dance up a storm everyone! :party2:

...I just realized I've posted more today than I ever have anywhere online in my life. Well, I am a happy camper so I'll share some of those warm and fuzzies. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the podium result is generally regarded as predictable but I also believe those behind them vying for the national team are capable of memorable skates I’ll want to watch again. Lay it on, everyone!

Go V&M! – I remember at 2006 SC someone asking me if you two youngsters were worthy of placing ahead of a recognized and seasoned team. My reply: “Oh, yes! They are that special.” Thanks Tessa & Scott for the kaleidoscope and variety of magical programs you’ve shown over the years. Also thanks for proving me right with my 2006 statement. ;) I will wish that your final appearance at Canadians this year is the best ever. Thanks for the memories!

Go W&P! – I appreciate and enjoy the texture and nuances of your dance and character interpretation. I’ve channeled my thoughts towards perfect twizzles from here on in to your final competitive skate (whenever that might be, and hopefully not for a few years yet).

Go G&P! – To me, a team with some of the most memorable themes and choreography, always some delightful nuggets of intrigue in steps and expression. Boogie your bossa nova and mambo! And I’m eager to see your take on James Bond – shake, don’t stir…

Dance up a storm everyone! :party2:

...I just realized I've posted more today than I ever have anywhere online in my life. Well, I am a happy camper so I'll share some of those warm and fuzzies. :)
Here's hoping Virtue and Moir save it for the Olympics. I really feel this team gets or got hosed and I hate that the writing is on the wall OSM = kind of like no matter what they do and even if the deserve gold it is the French who I do like. I can think of many reasons in general while V and M should get gold though I p refer the music of the French FD. Everything from better skating skills and pcs - they should be winning even with errors to stronger skating regardless of music in part because while Gabby has improved she hasn't closed the gap enough. I also am not enamored with some of Cizeron's costumes. I know some people might like to see his arms/body but this is skating not a meat market. I am not sure how they add to the programs.

^^^ I will agree with the hopes that the ultimate renditions of this years’ routines by V&M are saved for Olympics, but will focus my cheers on the Canadian Nationals this week as a stepping stone towards that goal. It is here at their final nationals I wanted to acknowledge their amazing ‘body of work’ (I’ve come to dislike that phrase this past week!) over the past decade+.

I am a fan of P&C as well as V&M and am of the belief both teams will need to skate error free in Korea to achieve the OGM or OSM. I also don’t discount a US team to challenge for one of those colours either. You know that ubiquitous saying…ice is slippery. ;)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I also don’t discount a US team to challenge for one of those colours either. You know that ubiquitous saying…ice is slippery. ;)
This is why I thought at US nationals they'll go more on politics even with mistakes, to make sure there is ONE team that stands out so much that it can go into the mix, but because they look (result-speaking) so tied, it has the opposite effect.
Of course it should always be about performance on the day etc, but momentum and "body of work" does count. (And I'm like you, I came to HATE this expression :laugh:)

Sackie

Medalist
Anxious to see if the top 3 teams here will get the same national markup as we saw at the US Nationals! Cause if so then V/M should be 84-85, W/P 81-82, and G/P at 77-78!

eggnogkitty

Match Penalty
Here's hoping Virtue and Moir save it for the Olympics. I really feel this team gets or got hosed and I hate that the writing is on the wall OSM = kind of like no matter what they do and even if the deserve gold it is the French who I do like. I can think of many reasons in general while V and M should get gold though I p refer the music of the French FD. Everything from better skating skills and pcs - they should be winning even with errors to stronger skating regardless of music in part because while Gabby has improved she hasn't closed the gap enough. I also am not enamored with some of Cizeron's costumes. I know some people might like to see his arms/body but this is skating not a meat market. I am not sure how they add to the programs.

It is ironic you say that when the only controversial result between V&M and P&C ever thus far is V&M winning at worlds last year over P&C. Not any win P&C has ever had.

V&M are one of the best teams ever but their annoying fans who act like they are gods gift to skating and they should win every event simply for showing up are a major turn off. It is remindful of T&D fans in their 94 season comeback, but atleast that only lasted one season, not a whole career as it does for V&M fans. Fact is V&M have never had a controversial major event loss, maybe only 2014 Olympics to some extent but even there I think the only consensus is they were screwed in the OD but D&W probably deserved to win overall and definitely deserved to win the FD, while they have 2 controversial major event wins- 2012 Worlds and 2017 Worlds.

ChanClan

On the Ice
can we please not make this thread VM vs PC please? This is Canadian Nationals. How about we just focus on that for now? The Canadians who are competing at Canadian Nationals. No one else.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Since this is a National competition, thus national (and Natural ? :biggrin:) inflation, a little reminder :

Top SD score possible : 85.3
Top FD score possible : 124.7
Total score possible : 210

IIRC, V/M got 84 + 119 last year (?). Prediction this year : high 84 and high 122 ;)

ChanClan

On the Ice
Since this is a National competition, thus national (and Natural ? :biggrin:) inflation, a little reminder :

Top SD score possible : 85.3
Top FD score possible : 124.7
Total score possible : 210

IIRC, V/M got 84 + 119 last year (?). Prediction this year : high 84 and high 122 ;)

Yes, if VM skate clean and don't make any obvious errors, I'm expecting very high scores (possibly even a perfect mark in the SD? i highly doubt it but I feel like Skate Canada would do it). Also if WP skate clean in the SD, I think they can break 80 and possibly a higher FD score than their PB. I don't really have any predictions for GP though, since we haven't seen their new FD and I don't like their SD this year.

Exposed

Match Penalty
can we please not make this thread VM vs PC please? This is Canadian Nationals. How about we just focus on that for now? The Canadians who are competing at Canadian Nationals. No one else.

THANK YOU. This is the CANADIAN nationals thread, not the Olympic predictions or the ice dance Olympic thread.

kresslia

Medalist
Yes, if VM skate clean and don't make any obvious errors, I'm expecting very high scores (possibly even a perfect mark in the SD? i highly doubt it but I feel like Skate Canada would do it). Also if WP skate clean in the SD, I think they can break 80 and possibly a higher FD score than their PB. I don't really have any predictions for GP though, since we haven't seen their new FD and I don't like their SD this year.
I can absolutely see SC giving V/M a perfect mark in the SD. I think there's a pretty good chance 85 is happening if they don't make any obvious errors lol

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The standard for an SD with national inflation + 1 FALL is 79, right? Why not 84 for a clean program then? It's doable. ;)

Scout

Final Flight
Last year, Tessa and Scott set a new Canadian record of 203.45 (84.36 SD & 119.09 FD). With two clean skates and pre-olympic nationals inflation, I think they can. ;)

auser

Record Breaker
2018 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships - Senior Ice Dance Short Dance

Friday, January 12 at 12:26 PST
(Time in other cities)
Airing on TSN4 at 15:00 EST / 12:00 PST

Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre
6066 Thunderbird Blvd
Vancouver, BC

Schedule in Pacific Standard Time
Results
English live stream
French live stream

YouTube
Thank you for this excellent thread starter Mango :thank:. Are the live stream links for practice sessions? And thank you for including the TSN4 broadcast info :).

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thank you for this excellent thread starter Mango :thank:. Are the live stream links for practice sessions? And thank you for including the TSN4 broadcast info :).

Those links should work for Thursday senior practices. The practices on Friday & Saturday aren't being live streamed. It's my pleasure! There's also streaming on RDS which you can check out on the official CTNSC18 site.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Totally can't wait to see Piper & Paul. I loooooove these two. Quirky, innovative and very interesting characters. They so deserve to go to the Olympics!
Talking about deserving: Most of us (I definitely do) possibly think the winners are a foregone conclusion. However, I still keep my fingers crossed for the WeaPos. Although I must admit, the SD is not rocking my boat this season... Clean and healthy skates all! :hap10:

Mattieu

Medalist
I can't wait to see VM's changes to their FD.
They are fiercely competitive, so I am sure it is going to be great and will make the Olympics really exciting between them and P/C and could even upset P/C's early lead, though being French and a major P/C fan, I damned well hope not, I just want to see a real comp, not a walkover. I want P/C to be seen as great victors

slider11

Medalist
Even though the podium results of the Canadian Ice Dance Nationals are predictable, this is the chance for these top 3 teams to show their improvements and innovations. I look forward to seeing what V/M have done to polish an already very strong SD and FD. W/P have the most to prove, I think, as they had a mysteriously slow start with a mid-season change in FD. The Canadian judges look to provide them a nice boost as they head to the Olympics but they've got to earn it. G/P are the wild card by showing their new FD. Although risky, the risk is reasonable as there is really no other team on their heels to take over third. I will enjoy watching this competition as the "best" each team has to offer.