2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Short Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Short Dance

rain

Record Breaker
It was well skated for sure. But ALL 3 GOE on EVERY element (except one single 2) and 5 judges giving straight 10"s? Well, relative to the competition, it wasn't crazy... but no, not the best short program ever. IMO.

It's nationals and this is a message to the international judges. No surprise here.

Just wanted to also comment on Soucisse and Firus — loads of potential there! Thoroughly enjoyed them, and I'm excited to see them continue to develop.

Wonder if they'll get to go to worlds...I can't see V/M going, no matter what happens at the Olympics.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. No surprises.

But I was responding to someone who asked, after reviewing the protocols, if this was indeed the best short dance ever skated.

Different people have different opinions on such things, but my answer to her specific question is No, although the protocols indicate such.

The correct answer to the question, "What is the best short dance ever skated?" is,...

Davis and White to Giselle, 2013 World Championships, Thursday, 3/14/13, London Ontario.

rain

Record Breaker
I agree. No surprises.

But I was responding to someone who asked, after reviewing the protocols, if this was indeed the best short dance ever skated.

Different people have different opinions on such things, but my answer to her specific question is No, although the protocols indicate such.

The correct answer to the question, "What is the best short dance ever skated?" is,...

Davis and White to Giselle, 2013 World Championships, Thursday, 3/14/13, London Ontario.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, lol. I thought Prince was perfection.

waterblades

On the Ice
It was a fabulous skate, they were the best I have ever seen them skate. Perfect unison and so much speed the last lift wow!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We'll have to agree to disagree on that, lol. I thought Prince was perfection.

Well, I can't argue that you've made a good choice - I think you're wrong of course, but in this case we're REALLY splitting hairs.:thumbsup:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Welp, now that the men’s short is done, I can finally catch up on all the short dances I missed due to my appointment earlier today. I have my box of tissues ready for WeaPo. :sad21: I’m also really elated and excited to watch Piper and Paul and super happy to see them sitting in second with a decent cushion. Such a rollercoaster of emotions! And I’m always giddy to watch V/M, what else can be said about our phenoms? :biggrin:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Oh no!!! So unfortunate for Andrew, I thought the rest of their SD was marvelous. The first program by W/P I have truly enjoyed for a while now. I hope their FD is strong.

I didn't understand Virtue/Moir's short dance at all when they first debuted it, but it's gained so much depth -- and, how else to say it, sex (!!) -- over the course of the season. I was worried about their chances against P/C in the short dance, but now I think they had the better long-game strategy: they took on material that wasn't in-your-face obvious "latin" but which they could grow into and deepen over time, whereas P/C's dance, though fun and flashy, seems to exist mostly on the surface level (I mean, how much depth can you get with Ed Sheeran?). I'm very happy about this, because I want Tessa and Scott's programs to just give them enough room around the requirements to lay their hearts down at the Olympics, and it seems like that's what they're aiming for, too.

auser

Record Breaker
I’m in love with your bodyyyyyy of work.... :laugh2: The remixed siren song of Ross Miner’s nightmares.
Clever reply to my blunder of thinking I was posting in the Pairs SP thread(where Shape of You was playing during K&C/waiting for scores)me:eek:: you :agree:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
G/P They were great, and I ADORE their music. Although I noticed that the rumba pattern highlights her bad posture.

It's not that bad although it's supervisible next to Paul :D
They've improved much over the last few years so if they decide to stay on they might address this too in the future.

reneerose

Final Flight
Loved Tracy commentating on Piper and Paul about how they carve the ice with the deep edges....I don't know how they could be marked less than P/C in international comps. Curious to see the new James Bond FD, hope it makes a difference from the Perry Mason one. Sad about Andrew's twizzle...that looked like a loss of focus :( and V/M were perfection as usual

ChanClan

On the Ice
Why are you guys talking about whether this is "the best short dance ever skated" like these scores are from an international panel and should be compared to some past SD from teams from different countries at international events. Why aren't you comparing it to short dances in Canadian records. Also, isn't it kind of hard to compare the SD scores before Sochi because the base values have increased since then? Now if we are talking about if this is the best short dance ever skated in terms of what you like, the fact that SC gave VM an 85 shouldn't matter to your opinion.

Thinking about it, this probably would have gotten like an 80-81 in an international competition (if we are thinking in terms of what they've scored previous and whether this was better or worse)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess we need to watch the free dance but the writing is on the wall p/c for gold and v and m like in 2014 can't do a thing about it. But I do hope Weapo bounce back.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Finally caught up on watching several teams prior to the last three and I'm very impressed by Liam's little brother, Shane and his partner, Carolane. I read some concerned about the future of Canadian dance teams after Pyeongchang as V/M will retire soon and W/P probably would retire as well or stay one season more. The situation might contrast the US dance teams with a lot of up and coming talented teams. While it's expected that Gilles/Poirier would lead the Canadian dance, I see Soucisse/Firus very promising.

I always wonder what would be like seeing Liam as an ice dancer since he has superb SS and delicate musicality and here is Shane. He and Carolane show their personalities and flairs, so I enjoyed their Latin SD. I'm also glad that Carolane's abilities are almost on par with her partner because I'm tired of watching a lot of unbalanced teams, especially female dancers' side. Their basics are very good and know how to dance to the tricky pattern dances, so their development rate can be fast considering that their partnership only is about one year old. I should've not watched only top tiered teams as apparently I missed their presence not only at last Nationals, but also their appearance at GP this season. It's likely that all top 3 teams will skip the 4CC in preparation for the Olympics, so I can have more opportunities to see them at 4CC and Worlds if they repeat their 4th placement. :agree2:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Piper and Paul have sharpened their blade after the underwhelming results in the GP series! I've had always some issues with Piper's edge work, but she has been vastly improved. Their routines are always fun to watch and their confidence is evident throughout the program. Great job!

I'm saddened to see Weaver and Poje's 4th placement after the short dance. Darn twizzles again. I hope they slay their FD.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Why are you guys talking about whether this is "the best short dance ever skated" like these scores are from an international panel and should be compared to some past SD from teams from different countries at international events. Why aren't you comparing it to short dances in Canadian records. Also, isn't it kind of hard to compare the SD scores before Sochi because the base values have increased since then? Now if we are talking about if this is the best short dance ever skated in terms of what you like, the fact that SC gave VM an 85 shouldn't matter to your opinion.

Thinking about it, this probably would have gotten like an 80-81 in an international competition (if we are thinking in terms of what they've scored previous and whether this was better or worse)

This SD would have gotten a high 82 I think. Both the No-touch and Pst were spot on, especially the Pst was MUCH better than what I've seen them do, so they would have got higher GOEs. Level 4 for Both (I mean Tech Panel always finds something to put a 3 to everyone but still.).

However, no 83 because in an non-national competition, I think the last Key-Point might have been unvalidated especially with a strict Tech Panel. The first edge was bordeline flat/at least not deep enough. I'm picky but I've seen teams lost that KP for less, and I'm sure no one wants the suprise after.
But it's like 0.60 deducted, so honestly, you are at your last nationals, the tech panel is going to talk to you anyway, you might as well give all the points, right ?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
While people might or might not agree on what's best...

That performance was BEYOND. Holy moly. We are entering a Davis/White level of precision. And I said that with V/M's 2013 SD being one of my favourite SD (if not programs) ever.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Ok, so I didn’t watch any of the skates, but did Virtue/Moir REALLY just Skate the best SD ever? Seriously? And this is coming from someone who prefers them over P/C.

I mean, it could have happened, but those scores look kinda hinky.
As others have pointed out, this is Nationals. Look at the scoring at other Nationals. And do you really think that Gilles/Poirier would get over 78 points internationally even if they skated really well? Or that Soucisse/Firus could get over 70 points internationally? I think 78 points are, like, 6 or at least 5 points more than what G/P could get in an international competition for a completely clean SD skate, judging by the tendencies this season. Soucisse/Firus have gotten over 65 this season - I guess they could have gotten something similar for a skate like they had at Nationals. Whereas Virtue/Moir would probably get around 83 for such a skate if they got all level 4s like at Skate Canada. So it's only around a couple of points inflation compared to the (very likely) 5 or more points inflation on G/P's and S/C's scores.

In any case, the technical base value of the SDs changes from season to season so you can't really compare the scores to the SD performances that you probably thought were the best ever.

It's not the "correct" answer. It's just your personal opinion which is in no way the absolute truth.

Loved Tracy commentating on Piper and Paul about how they carve the ice with the deep edges....I don't know how they could be marked less than P/C in international comps.
Honestly, I would insert a roll-eye emoticon if I had it on my mobile version of the site. You obviously know very little about ice dancing if you think that "carving" the ice with one's edges is all there is to it and that G/P's skating and dancing/movement skills are on the level of P/C.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I don't think you are right about 80 to 81 unless V/M got a level 3 on one of the step sequences. I think with all level 4s, like here and at Skate Canada, this would probably be around 83 points. They got close to 83 at SC. Sure, it was in Canada too, but they skated better at Nationals.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I saw results, and now I'm scared to watch WeaPo, was it that bad? Because my heart is breaking seeing as they'll only in 4th in SD...