2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Short Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Short Dance

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Even though the podium results of the Canadian Ice Dance Nationals are predictable, this is the chance for these top 3 teams to show their improvements and innovations.

Yep. This is not a small national so it will be seen by the skating world, they have to make a bit of a statement.
Also if Skate Canada has some common sense besides the huge scores they'll give to V/M, I'm guessing they'll want to give quite the numbers to WeaPo ? Olympic bronze in sight. So I don't think they'll be any WeaPo vs G/P kind of situation (like in ACI).

danse

On the Ice
^^^ I will agree with the hopes that the ultimate renditions of this years’ routines by V&M are saved for Olympics, but will focus my cheers on the Canadian Nationals this week as a stepping stone towards that goal. It is here at their final nationals I wanted to acknowledge their amazing ‘body of work’ (I’ve come to dislike that phrase this past week!) over the past decade+.

I am a fan of P&C as well as V&M and am of the belief both teams will need to skate error free in Korea to achieve the OGM or OSM. I also don’t discount a US team to challenge for one of those colours either. You know that ubiquitous saying…ice is slippery. ;)

Apparently V&M have made some changes to their FD so I think Nationals won't be their 110% - it'll be more practice of the "new" routine for the grand battle on February 20th!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Totally can't wait to see Piper & Paul. I loooooove these two. Quirky, innovative and very interesting characters. They so deserve to go to the Olympics!
Talking about deserving: Most of us (I definitely do) possibly think the winners are a foregone conclusion. However, I still keep my fingers crossed for the WeaPos. Although I must admit, the SD is not rocking my boat this season... Clean and healthy skates all! :hap10:

I think that Kaitlyn and Andrew have one of the most original SD this season, very in particular character and not very obvious/flashy (definitely not as such as they've had in 2011/12 season, tigress dress et all) - I must admit that this is not as grabbing and universally catchy program like it was when Latin was a theme for SD, but I really see more mature and sophisticated approach towards the aesthetic from WeaPo this time around. It's more about reflecting their own perspective, style and preference by the program/music and choreography than making it to please as much people as possible - I know, this is not a popular approach, nor a 'winning' one, but I've grown to appreciate the uniqueness of that dance, just wish it would be skated/performed more (big shame about Kaitlyn's injury:()...

I wish that they all will have strong performances respectively, to satisfy their own expectations - of course, inflation bonus sponsored by Nationals is nice, but somehow I think (again, naïve and unpopular way of thinking) that it makes a sense and value for skaters if they go clean/overall strong in terms of technical execution and presentation simultaneously (because if there will be too much focus and tightness over execution, it can affect performance reception).

I'm beyond curious about new FD from PSquared, well talk about suspense...I actually think that at this point, after what went during GP season, how Perry Mason FD was received and their established position in Canadian top 3 ID teams they really could allowed to go for that kind of risk and actually benefit from it. The Bond theme is really right up in their alley I'd say, this aura of suspense, strong character, a bit of glamour and tension - it definitely has more universal appeal in sole theme/music and aesthetically-speaking; hopefully, the product of this change will capitalize on their originality, quirk and uniqueness, getting more 'structure' and differentiation in music, which was probably criticized the most about previous FD.

rain

Record Breaker
I'm beyond curious about new FD from PSquared, well talk about suspense...I actually think that at this point, after what went during GP season, how Perry Mason FD was received and their established position in Canadian top 3 ID teams they really could allowed to go for that kind of risk and actually benefit from it. The Bond theme is really right up in their alley I'd say, this aura of suspense, strong character, a bit of glamour and tension - it definitely has more universal appeal in sole theme/music and aesthetically-speaking; hopefully, the product of this change will capitalize on their originality, quirk and uniqueness, getting more 'structure' and differentiation in music, which was probably criticized the most about previous FD.

Changing the FD so late in the game is a huge risk, but one they had to take, I think. They were getting nowhere with it in international competition and I think were in danger of dropping from the top 10 (it's such a crowded field). Their programs last year were dynamite and made them stand out (unfortunate mistakes kept them out of the running). So by comparison, this year's programs were a disappointment. I don't think they have anything to lose at this point — just hope they've been able to put enough miles on the new FD.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Changing the FD so late in the game is a huge risk, but one they had to take, I think. They were getting nowhere with it in international competition and I think were in danger of dropping from the top 10 (it's such a crowded field). Their programs last year were dynamite and made them stand out (unfortunate mistakes kept them out of the running). So by comparison, this year's programs were a disappointment. I don't think they have anything to lose at this point — just hope they've been able to put enough miles on the new FD.

I think that Perry Mason FD, although being totally inside their style and aesthetic of programs, lacked a bit this 'stand-out' factor we've got used to see regarding Piper and Paul - and I mean mostly the program design overall, not the elements per se, as their lifts always have 'stand-out' factor and programs ooze originality. Myself, I personally dug that FD, probably due to this value I place over originality and daring to be different factor when it comes to musical/theme choices of programs and the fact that Piper and Paul are very consequent in their path pursued. I believe that the change is for good and indeed, they have nothing to lose at this moment, whereas they really can gain more attention, better marks and strengthen their position by stronger, more memorable and 'universal', but still original program. Just with more 'oomph' added.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I've seen Piper & Paul's FD (not realizing they were going to skate it and it was something new) and it's fine. Nothing crazy. They kept their cool rotational lift. The music is easily recognizable as Bond music so there won't be any head scratching going on. I think that new FD is a good compromise between what they wanted and what the judges want.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I've seen Piper & Paul's FD (not realizing they were going to skate it and it was something new) and it's fine. Nothing crazy. They kept their cool rotational lift. The music is easily recognizable as Bond music so there won't be any head scratching going on. I think that new FD is a good compromise between what they wanted and what the judges want.

Thank you for the report ! Have you seen V/M and WeaPo ?
I hope James Bond is going to be good when entirely performed :thumbsup:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thank you for the report ! Have you seen V/M and WeaPo ?
I hope James Bond is going to be good when entirely performed :thumbsup:

No, sorry. This G/P FD was at a gala for Scarboro FSC so those two teams weren't present.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see VM's changes to their FD.
They are fiercely competitive, so I am sure it is going to be great and will make the Olympics really exciting between them and P/C and could even upset P/C's early lead, though being French and a major P/C fan, I damned well hope not, I just want to see a real comp, not a walkover. I want P/C to be seen as great victors

Really hoping V and M can make some dramatic and positive strides. I do like P/C and I even prefer the FD of P/C but focussing on nationals I see this as a chance for them to hone, polish and push the envelope a bit.. Weaver and Poje and Gilles and Porier well all three teams have not had a super season. I know it is Nats but let's hope we see them hitting their levels and showing some flair. I am a little or a lot of a loss about Gilles and Porier - why the sudden international hate for them. This is a team that has been on the verge of will they hit the podium or at least top 5 internationally for a few years. They show signs get close and then are pulled back like in an undertow. And now they might not make top ten in the world (P/C; v/m/; h/d; shibs; c/b, C/L; B/S, wp/S/B, Britain, that puts G/P out of top ten.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

chapis, big big 'thank you' for posting the video! :thank:

I have to say that they really keep me surprised about that SD, and both their programs as they seems to constantly develop and evolve, searching for better ground execution and expression-wise. Rework at the beginning and glipses of it in partial step sequence in particular really looks to differentiate better beat and the pause by movement, gesture and pose quality (how hands are aligned, how frame/hold are looking like, connection, figures sourced from Ballroom Dances etc.) -my impression is that those touches of change made the dance more fluid and flowy, not taking anything from bold design of it. What is marvelous is that even in practice, even with changes introduced they make me see the insane levels of intricacy, integration of edge quality with easiness of performance put out there, appreciate how those changes work better with the music (or even work better for the benefit of the music and rhythm) and foremost - to see it all given out with passion and confidence.

beki

Medalist
I generally agree about G/P; they are underrated. Except there have been several chances for them to overtake W/P decisively and become Canada #2, which would have sent their reputation and scores on a different trajectory. But they made some crucial mistakes at those times. Hopefully they can follow the example of the Shibs, hang on and escape from the scoring wilderness, and the example of H/D, by conquering the inconsistency that was holding them back.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
After watching Virtue/Moir's FD practice, they REALLY seems to shake that cuts up to the Olympic notch. Not that this will miraculously turn people into fans of that program, because they went even more dramatic and picturesque with second part arrangement. But it suits the whole idea so much... I guess it is quite amazing to realize the rightfulness and brilliance of the idea when it appears in action;), glad that the program keeps growing, evolving and - true to Tessa and Scott words - opening more for getting more out of it than just a beautiful picture.

Becki

Medalist
I am so excited to attend the senior events on Saturday :) Hope to see some of you there!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am so excited to attend the senior events on Saturday :) Hope to see some of you there!

Green from jealousy, but enjoy, have as much fun as You can and please cheer loudly on my behalf (to Ice dancers especially:))!

icetigger

On the Ice
Just watched Virtue and Moir's free skate practice. I thought the changes were overwhelmingly negative. The musical interpretation has gone for the second half. For example see the additional part after the rotational lift which has no correspondence to the music. The Curved lift now fits less well with the music; also, the diagonal step sequence. The choreo is lift is a hybrid between their short dance lift and Gabi and Guillaume's choreo lift; and is weirdly celebratory if she is supposed to be dying; and also the final "death" has no lead in to it as it did previously: it looks tacked on and like he is breaking her neck. . Plus there is now such level of things that Papadakis and Cizeron had in MS that have now been shoehorned in to this free that I think that will go against them as well; as well as the overall styling seeming to be in more emulation of MS, but also less effective. Some of Scott's shuffling has been scraped from the circular step but some of it is still there; but that's the only positive change that I can see.

(Oops, just realised this is the short dance thread. But discussion of the fs has been already introduced. I guess this thread is more competition preamble)

Debs122

Rinkside
Just watched Virtue and Moir's free skate practice. I thought the changes were overwhelmingly negative. The musical interpretation has gone for the second half. For example see the additional part after the rotational lift which has no correspondence to the music. The Curved lift now fits less well with the music; also, the diagonal step sequence. The choreo is lift is a hybrid between their short dance lift and Gabi and Guillaume's choreo lift; and is weirdly celebratory if she is supposed to be dying; and also the final "death" has no lead in to it as it did previously: it looks tacked on and like he is breaking her neck. . Plus there is now such level of things that Papadakis and Cizeron had in MS that have now been shoehorned in to this free that I think that will go against them as well; as well as the overall styling seeming to be in more emulation of MS, but also less effective. Some of Scott's shuffling has been scraped from the circular step but some of it is still there; but that's the only positive change that I can see.

(Oops, just realised this is the short dance thread. But discussion of the fs has been already introduced. I guess this thread is more competition preamble)
Of course you would think this. I wouldn’t have expected anything less from you lol.

ChanClan

On the Ice
I liked the changes VM made to the FD. You can continue to talk negatively about it and it won't change my mind. I love seeing the drama and theatrical performances more than the subtle "flowy and pretty" programs that many on here tend to like.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Green from jealousy, but enjoy, have as much fun as You can and please cheer loudly on my behalf (to Ice dancers especially:))!

This is so me!!!! It kills me that I can't see Patrick compete one more time........Hopefully he'll come to California in a show because things aren't looking for me to travel to Worlds this year. I just agreed to assist a former student with choreography and I don't I'll be free. I love his skating so much and I wish him the very best at this event!! :cheer2: