Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Thread: 2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - SP

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester View Post
    This is actually an expression in Russian. It refers to a shy, quiet and unremarkable woman that avoids attracting attention in any way. I can't think of an equivalent in English right now but there probably is one.
    In the US we call them 'shrinking violets' or 'wallflowers'

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

7 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarpova View Post
    Ted should comment alone

all the competitions!
    Ted!!!

By the way, the equivalent expression for "gray mouse" in English is the adjective "mousy." As in she's a mousy little thing isn't she?

I agree with Mathman that it is best to avoid all animal comparisons! They just never quite mean the same in different countries/languages/cultures.

Deb should watch and learn.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think the problem is that she call the competition mice ... is that she didn't show respect for the competion .. so if europeans ( that includes Kostner, Pogorilaya, Radionova, Sotskova, Medvedeva) how she would call the japonese ladies jumps ...

6 Not allowed!
    Considering the lengths she went to point out to Ted how inappropriate it is to call the skaters girls and insist he call them ladies out of respect her comments do present a satirical irony.

Oh the power of silly negative comments. We should be talking about Gabby instead!! For me I was impressed mostly by her performance and not so much by her jumps. It’s a noticeable improvement from her earlier season efforts. Sometimes I’m impressed with her jumps and pretty “meh” on her actual performance. It’s nice to see the growth and especially after her injury issues.

3 Not allowed!
    Okay..one thing here: Mice are very fast. If you have ever watched one you know that. They scurry. Scurry even means to move quickly.

I do not find the Russian skaters slow but no one throws themselves into their jumps like Kaetlyn. Sometimes to her detriment.

Kurt Browning always says nice things about Russian skaters. He really likes Alina and Evgenia. Even Evgenia's 911 program he commended for her total commitment to the program and it's emotion.

Also.. Canadians like rodents. Our national animal is a rodent. That overly dramatic groundhog gif is still super popular here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw

And I'm sure Debbie lovesssss Carolina. I've been watching and reading Debbie for ages (back before the net and the early days of the net when she had one of the few figure skating blogs and video sites out there). Carolina would be the kind of skater she loves.

And when I think what Toller would say about skaters he didn't personally care for... just the sniff (an audible sniff before the statement) would warn you that he was about to look down his nose at someone. Gosh I miss Toller.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Toller!

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Toller!
    Toller.. with intro from Debbie Wilkes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NyCTKltCe0

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahSynchro View Post
    My mom and her two sisters were Whatsapping each other earlier, and they’re all disgusted that Gabby is in the lead over Kaetlyn, even though she had an uncharacteristic short program splat. I come from a family of Newfies, see, and Newfies viciously support their own. So if Kaetlyn isn’t winning, it’s the end of the world.

My oldest aunt is actually the head nun who performs the roles of a Catholic priest in the tiny town of Rushoon, Newfoundland, population: 312. It’s very close to Marystown, and believe it or not, they cancel all school programming and all the children gather in the gym to watch live if Kaetlyn is competing during a school day. She’s a total rockstar out there.
    Oh my gosh. Ahahahaa.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    This is very late on my part, but I just had to say it. Daleman be bringing the goods. That SP almost felt like a SD. I hope she brings it equally well in the LP.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientpeas View Post
    Toller.. with intro from Debbie Wilkes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NyCTKltCe0
    I can get lost watching his beautiful, expressive skating. I hope skating can always find a way to reward artistic expression such as this.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34