2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - SP

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Triena Robinson

Nice 3S+2T to open. Fine 3T. Fairly fast layback spin and a good 2A. Footwork has some good stroking, a bit wobbly on the spiral. Nice and tight positions in the combo spin, especially the forward edge one-handed Bielmann.

She's got a pleasant quality and had solid jumps and spins today. I would put her in the lead at this point.

If Triena could bring up the tech BV of her jumps, she would be a force! I can see indication she's been training with Kaetlyn :)

I really like her skating! Yes, into 2nd!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Another lovely skater. A bit slow but I'm really impressed with the Canadian lower ranked Ladies. Lots of potential. :agree:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I think Hielo de la Luna is underrated in figure skating and something of a warhorse in waiting. But Triena's interpretation did not hit it quite on the point. :think:

Edit: Aislinn should give it a shot. Her light skating would make a great fit.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Aislinn Ganci

Got out the 3Lo cleanly. Nice 3T+rippon2T and a 2A to follow. Footwork is fairly simple and the spins could have better positions. A fine performance, but she could have more power and impact.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Aislinn Ganci's music sounds like an Asian music, but according to the OP, it's "Riders on the Storm The Doors Concerto" by Jaz Coleman, Nigel Kennedy.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
but she could have more power and impact.

That's interesting, because I noticed the same with the juniors. They tended to emphasize smoothness and clean tech over speed and energy. Looks like this approach carries over to seniors.

slider11

Medalist
For those watching/listening to skatecanada.ca audiocast of the ladies SP, commentator and former skater Debbie Wilkes just politely but firmly corrected her male partner who referred to "the girls" by saying "watch, 'the girls"....He took it well and good for her for not letting it go. It's interesting that it's not the "ladies and gentlemen" competition but the ladies and men. I'm certain the men don't want to be called "boys" but I guess "gentlemen" is too formal. Not a big deal but certainly an interesting evolution of values. Good job, Debbie!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Kelsey Wong

Heavy fall on the opening 3Lz. Step-out on the 3F (looks <). Clean on the 2A though. The positions in the last two spins were actually quite good.

I wish Kelsey had more facial expression throughout the piece, since the music is about longing. Could be faster across the ice.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kelsey just got deep on us with that program. Unfortunate jump fails though!!

I have to leave now :( so I just want to say:

1. I can't remember having enjoyed the earlier groups of ladies at Canadians this much in years...perhaps ever. Well done! :luv17:
2. My hearty cheers for the rest of the girls - keep rocking! :cheer:
3. Thanks Debi and Ted - your commentary is so much fun! :dance2:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I'm certain the men don't want to be called "boys" but I guess "gentlemen" is too formal.
IIRC I have seen the men refered to as boys several times and I may even may have used the term myself as well as it was used on me occasionally. It never seemed to be a problem.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Emy Decelles

A bit of a three-turn on the 3T, not sure if that was supposed to be the combo. Alright 3F+2T, slightly forward in the 3F. The choreography for the circular step is actually on-point with the music, but it looked like she was trying to be very careful with steps. 2A had a bit of snow on the landing but still clean. I didn't mind the hand choreography, but I think she could have more expression and move with her core more.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Ok, the Canadian small talk here is the best! :luv17: The Voice has a big budget! :laugh2:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I just got home to watch this. Will the stream also show the last group of ladies?

amateur

Final Flight
For those watching/listening to skatecanada.ca audiocast of the ladies SP, commentator and former skater Debbie Wilkes just politely but firmly corrected her male partner who referred to "the girls" by saying "watch, 'the girls"....He took it well and good for her for not letting it go. It's interesting that it's not the "ladies and gentlemen" competition but the ladies and men. I'm certain the men don't want to be called "boys" but I guess "gentlemen" is too formal. Not a big deal but certainly an interesting evolution of values. Good job, Debbie!

Not sure if you caught it, but it was actually due to earlier in the broadcast -- they read out a text sent to them from a viewer that suggested they stop saying "girls". Debbie was reminding him based on this (which after reading the text they had gone on to discuss on-air for a moment). But these commentators do have good attitudes; Debbie is class!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is this girl going for a bit of a Kaetlyn 2.0???

Not that it would be a bad thing. Just sayin’ :coffee:

BTW: Amy Winehouse love is strong in my life!!