2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - SP

Exposed

Match Penalty
I don't think he is eligible to skate as a senior internationally and maybe barely as a junior. I thought he was quite young still.
I can still cheer for him regardless if hes allowed to compete in senior competitions internationally yet?

LadyB

Record Breaker
I so hope Stephen Gogolev will do very well. The spirit of Team Orser needs to continue in future.
I can't wait to see him internationally at Junior GPs!!! He's such an amazing talent! :thumbsup:

da96103

Record Breaker
I so hope Stephen Gogolev will do very well. The spirit of Team Orser needs to continue in future.
I can't wait to see him internationally at Junior GPs!!! He's such an amazing talent! :thumbsup:

How many quads does he have? I know he has a few different types.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How many quads does he have? I know he has a few different types.

In practice, all except the 4A according to Brian. This season I believe he's competing the 4S and 4T. Brian has called him his quad lutz kid before, but he's not putting that out in competition yet.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Yes, Elladj. I don't forgot about him but do miss him. Given that he hasn't appeared in any competition this season, it may be very difficult for him to make it to the Olympic team or to skate a la Ross Miner at US Nationals. However, it would be very nice if he gives one or two amazing programs at Nationals.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Is he old enough to compete in the senior division? :roll9: Has he ever debuted in Junior Grand Prix circuit? If he had, I might've heard of his name because of his quads despite his so young age, but haven't. Several Nationals allow juniors to compete with seniors at Nationals, but I assumed he is still a novice, but I could be wrong. After reading your post, I checked on the entries and found his name.

I haven't watched his program though, but remember him because some people joked about "Canadian curse" in men's skating that can be broken by Stephen originally from Ukraine or Russia.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is he old enough to compete in the senior division?

Nationally, yes, internationally, no.

Has he ever debuted in Junior Grand Prix circuit?

No, but he'll be age eligible for the JGP series this upcoming July.

I assumed he is still a novice, but I could be wrong.

Stephen won the national novice title in 2016 and he won the national junior title in 2017.

some people joked about "Canadian curse" in men's skating that can be broken by Stephen originally from Ukraine or Russia.

He's from Russia.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Yes, Elladj. I don't forgot about him but do miss him. Given that he hasn't appeared in any competition this season, it may be very difficult for him to make it to the Olympic team or to skate a la Ross Miner at US Nationals. However, it would be very nice if he gives one or two amazing programs at Nationals.

Elladj has competed this season! He competed at Skate Canada Challenge and came 5th. He's at Nationals because of this.

Is he old enough to compete in the senior division? :roll9: Has he ever debuted in Junior Grand Prix circuit? If he had, I might've heard of his name because of his quads despite his so young age, but haven't. Several Nationals allow juniors to compete with seniors at Nationals, but I assumed he is still a novice, but I could be wrong. After reading your post, I checked on the entries and found his name.

I haven't watched his program though, but remember him because some people joked about "Canadian curse" in men's skating that can be broken by Stephen originally from Ukraine or Russia.

We have a fan fest for Stephen where you can watch many of his program videos or even just short clips of quads if you're limited on time: https://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?59902-Stephen-Gogolev

He just turned 13 last month so he couldn't compete on the JGP yet. He did compete at two ISU advanced novice international competitions: 2016 Coupe du Printemps and 2017 Bavarian Open. He won both.

He's from Russia but he lives here now and competes for Canada.

He is competing in seniors now after winning the pre-novice title in 2015, the novice title in 2016, and the junior title in 2017. Lower age limits don't apply in domestic events if I remember correctly.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Elladj has competed this season! He competed at Skate Canada Challenge and came 5th. He's at Nationals because of this.

We have a fan fest for Stephen where you can watch many of his program videos or even just short clips of quads if you're limited on time: https://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?59902-Stephen-Gogolev

Thanks for the info. I go see clips of Elladj if there is any. I expected to see him assigned as a substitute in the GP circuit if there had been a vacancy or withdrawal, but Keegan got his second GP assignment (good for him though), so I assumed he is injured or close to retirement. he was originally on the entry at some CS event in December, but his name disappeared, so I thought I won't have a chance to see him compete again.

It's nice for Canada to have another prodigy to keep the legacy in men's skating. :) I've seen several clips of his quads or 3A jump alone, but not a full program yet, so the ff will be very helpful.

frallik

Match Penalty
Evgeni Plushenko 2001_Patrick Chan 2017_Yuzuru Hanyu 2012 Сhange of Epochs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1dCq5jbVew&t=334s

Plushenko - 19 years 74 official competitions - 100 points according to the occupied places = k 1.35, 49 first places :giveup:
Patrik Chan - 13 years 65 official competitions - 140 points according to the occupied places = k 2.22, 30 first places :love:
Yuzuru - 12 years 67 official competitions - 136 points according to the occupied places= k 2.02, 27 first places(24 years) :hap10:
Javier Fernandez - 13 years 76 official competitions - 309 points according to the occupied places = k 4.065, 27 first places(27 years) :coffee:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cn1dt

I just tuned in the practice stream and saw Nic's SP run-through. He looks good although his jump landings are not pristine clean, but that's mainly due to the crowded rink. I like the camera work with a bit more zoom-in shot to the skater than other times. His smooth gliding and big jumps along with his gorgeous appearance are a joy to watch. I wish he comes to Olympics as the second spot in men is wide open to everyone.

Icey

Record Breaker
NYC and Toronto are in the same time zone. :)

Stephen's eligible for junior competitions as of the 2018-2019 season. No reason he can't try his best here though. A top 5 (or in this year, top 7) finish means a spot on the National team and some $$.

Duh!!!! Brain misfired lol. Thanks for restarting it.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

kresslia

Medalist
I like Nadeau in particular, but really just hoping for someone to step up and TAKE that 2nd spot. Not just settle for the least worst.