Head Scratching Programs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Head Scratching Programs

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I still shake my head at Domnina & Shabalin's "Aboriginal" Folk original dance. It was such a farcical caricature of actual Aboriginal culture, and for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to wear fugly, dark-skinned costumes. Just no...

Seriously this is the single worst thing I've ever seen in figure skating...even Med's 9/11 program wasn't as bad. I can't believe they actually did it for a whole season and never for once thought. "Hey...maybe this is a bit insensitive..."

Although there's also Yags' One Banana exhibition... :dance3: I'm not sure if this is racist or not? Apparently the inspiration behind it is that Yags loves bananas, and he always said to his mother that when he became a successful figure skater and won all the prize money he'd make he'd always have a banana to eat everyday :laugh:

Also Alina Z's exhibition program with the candle and the tiger unitard is just...weird as, I have no idea whatsoever is going on there.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6d7OtolfLc

Olga BOGUSLAVSKA / Andrei BROVENKO LAT Free Skate World Championship 2005

Not only it is riddle by mistakes.... but the music which seems just obnoxious and especially the costumes. It's like the process of designing was: "Well, what colors don't go together? Maybe brown and turquoise? And can you make it really unflattering and make sure they don't really fit?"

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
urmanov picking up an imaginary telephone will forever be iconic.

I loved him! His professional performances were the best. Or worst. I felt bad for him.

Does anybody remember the 1996 Worlds Exhibition? It seems to have been decided that it would have a somber tone--perhaps a tribute to skaters who had died of AIDs. I know that was Rudy Galindo's theme, and he wore a huge red ribbon around his neck.

Anyway, nobody gave poor Alexei the memo, (or maybe he just ignored it) but he did a light routine with a chair. The announcer said that it put a bad taste in his mouth, or something like that.

I also loved it when he wore a huge cape and tripped over it at the Goodwill Games.

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
Another odd program was the French dance team that skated to the "I Have a Dream" speech. There was hardly any music, just a speech. It was in good taste, but I don't know why spoken words were allowed but not lyrics at that time.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Another odd program was the French dance team that skated to the "I Have a Dream" speech. There was hardly any music, just a speech. It was in good taste, but I don't know why spoken words were allowed but not lyrics at that time.

You mean Anissina and Peizerat?

There is a music... It's Canone Inverso from Cyrano OST. Used by Goebel too, 2001 LP. People have hard time with abstract concepts it seems.

viennaskater

Medalist
The bizarre music cuts in Karina Manta / Joseph Johnson's FD. Even Charlie White, who is tremendously positive and encouraging toward developing skaters, talked quite a bit about how bad it is and how it isn't doing them any favors. It features Moulin Rouge songs chopped seemingly randomly, even changing in the middle of a step sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efAnl2kc6c&t=8s

When I saw that at Oberstdorf (Sep 2017), I also couldn't believe how bad the music was - almost to the point of being amused. It just does not work and I can't believe someone came up with that and they went along with it.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Domnina / Shabalin's 2010 original aboriginal dance.

Like ... what?!?!?!?

- - - Updated - - -

What are some of the programs that have you totally scratching your head?

With the release of "I, Tonya", I am reminded of her "People are Still Having Sex" program....all I have to say is THANK GOD it was before you were allowed to include vocals in the music.

I actually really enjoyed that SP ... :p

VenusHalley

Final Flight
2000 world pro championship... seen this strange butterfly program in pairs.

https://youtu.be/LevLsf1utU8?t=2m54s

The woman wears orange costume with "wings" and it starts with her partner lying on ice, holding her up, while she flaps her wings. In the program he chases her, catches her and the end has a strange lift with her flapping wings rather shyly...

anyanka

Record Breaker
As much as I enjoy her skating, the choreography in Kaori Sakamoto's "Amelie" FS is baffling. She is twitching and moving like a broken doll. Amelie is supposed to be effervescent, playful, amused and joyful (if also quite introverted). It reminds me of that old Sex and the City episode where Samantha threw her back out and is moving in a weirdly stiff way, and Carrie said "Girl, what are you doing? Getting your groove on doing 'the Robot'?" :biggrin: