Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Head Scratching Programs

Tripping on the Podium viennaskater's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathergal View Post
    The bizarre music cuts in Karina Manta / Joseph Johnson's FD. Even Charlie White, who is tremendously positive and encouraging toward developing skaters, talked quite a bit about how bad it is and how it isn't doing them any favors. It features Moulin Rouge songs chopped seemingly randomly, even changing in the middle of a step sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efAnl2kc6c&t=8s
    When I saw that at Oberstdorf (Sep 2017), I also couldn't believe how bad the music was - almost to the point of being amused. It just does not work and I can't believe someone came up with that and they went along with it.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Domnina / Shabalin's 2010 original aboriginal dance.

Like ... what?!?!?!?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SmallAminal View Post
    What are some of the programs that have you totally scratching your head?

With the release of "I, Tonya", I am reminded of her "People are Still Having Sex" program....all I have to say is THANK GOD it was before you were allowed to include vocals in the music.
    I actually really enjoyed that SP ... :P

1 Not allowed!
    Laetitia Hubert 1998-1999 FS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm2qb0jLdYk
    I just find the music and choreography to be slightly odd.

1 Not allowed!
    2000 world pro championship... seen this strange butterfly program in pairs.

https://youtu.be/LevLsf1utU8?t=2m54s

The woman wears orange costume with "wings" and it starts with her partner lying on ice, holding her up, while she flaps her wings. In the program he chases her, catches her and the end has a strange lift with her flapping wings rather shyly...

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    As much as I enjoy her skating, the choreography in Kaori Sakamoto's "Amelie" FS is baffling. She is twitching and moving like a broken doll. Amelie is supposed to be effervescent, playful, amused and joyful (if also quite introverted). It reminds me of that old Sex and the City episode where Samantha threw her back out and is moving in a weirdly stiff way, and Carrie said "Girl, what are you doing? Getting your groove on doing 'the Robot'?"

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FSLover17 View Post
    Laetitia Hubert 1998-1999 FS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm2qb0jLdYk
    I just find the music and choreography to be slightly odd.
    Should we be making an exception for skaters whose entire career is based on them being slightly "different?" I mean for Laetitia and some others we may want to list their "normal" programs instead

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    I think a lot of Gilles & Poirier programs are head-scratchers in that they're unusual. There's that bird-themed one in 2015/16 that buried them in the worlds standings (unfairly), and the Hitchcock one. Even the Perry Mason theme this year yielded less-than-satisfactory results. Full disclaimer: I am a big fan of theirs because they're so esoteric and avant-garde in their approach.

More head-scratching as well from Bobrova & Soloviev. Like G/P, they are very high-concept, like the 2012/13 "insanity" number and their current season with the blind girl motif. Still, I appreciate their dedication to their art.

I'm pointing these out because "head-scratching" can be a GOOD thing!!

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VenusHalley View Post
    2000 world pro championship... seen this strange butterfly program in pairs.

https://youtu.be/LevLsf1utU8?t=2m54s

The woman wears orange costume with "wings" and it starts with her partner lying on ice, holding her up, while she flaps her wings. In the program he chases her, catches her and the end has a strange lift with her flapping wings rather shyly...
    Such a strange start. There is also a voice over I will say that when they pan out the camera the wings create some pretty pictures, so the people in the arena may have enjoyed it.

GS Supporter

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    I think a lot of Gilles & Poirier programs are head-scratchers in that they're unusual. There's that bird-themed one in 2015/16 that buried them in the worlds standings (unfairly), and the Hitchcock one. Even the Perry Mason theme this year yielded less-than-satisfactory results. Full disclaimer: I am a big fan of theirs because they're so esoteric and avant-garde in their approach.

More head-scratching as well from Bobrova & Soloviev. Like G/P, they are very high-concept, like the 2012/13 "insanity" number and their current season with the blind girl motif. Still, I appreciate their dedication to their art.

I'm pointing these out because "head-scratching" can be a GOOD thing!!
    I'm almost offended that you put G/P and B/S in the same category . Hitchcock was a masterpiece! The blind woman . . . It always boggles my mind that Zhulin is their coach because I loved his competitive programs.

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GGFan View Post
    I'm almost offended that you put G/P and B/S in the same category . Hitchcock was a masterpiece! The blind woman . . . It always boggles my mind that Zhulin is their coach because I loved his competitive programs.
    It's just a matter of taste! :P

But yes: Hitchcock was a masterpiece and I thought for sure they'd have earned that third spot for Sochi. I would like to see them update it for the next quad, when they will (likely) become the top Canadian dance team and do whatever the eff they want!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6