Head Scratching Programs | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Head Scratching Programs

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think a lot of Gilles & Poirier programs are head-scratchers in that they're unusual. There's that bird-themed one in 2015/16 that buried them in the worlds standings (unfairly), and the Hitchcock one. Even the Perry Mason theme this year yielded less-than-satisfactory results. Full disclaimer: I am a big fan of theirs because they're so esoteric and avant-garde in their approach.

More head-scratching as well from Bobrova & Soloviev. Like G/P, they are very high-concept, like the 2012/13 "insanity" number and their current season with the blind girl motif. Still, I appreciate their dedication to their art.

I'm pointing these out because "head-scratching" can be a GOOD thing!!

GGFan

Record Breaker
2000 world pro championship... seen this strange butterfly program in pairs.

https://youtu.be/LevLsf1utU8?t=2m54s

The woman wears orange costume with "wings" and it starts with her partner lying on ice, holding her up, while she flaps her wings. In the program he chases her, catches her and the end has a strange lift with her flapping wings rather shyly...

:laugh2: Such a strange start. There is also a voice over :laugh: I will say that when they pan out the camera the wings create some pretty pictures, so the people in the arena may have enjoyed it.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I think a lot of Gilles & Poirier programs are head-scratchers in that they're unusual. There's that bird-themed one in 2015/16 that buried them in the worlds standings (unfairly), and the Hitchcock one. Even the Perry Mason theme this year yielded less-than-satisfactory results. Full disclaimer: I am a big fan of theirs because they're so esoteric and avant-garde in their approach.

More head-scratching as well from Bobrova & Soloviev. Like G/P, they are very high-concept, like the 2012/13 "insanity" number and their current season with the blind girl motif. Still, I appreciate their dedication to their art.

I'm pointing these out because "head-scratching" can be a GOOD thing!!

I'm almost offended that you put G/P and B/S in the same category :dev2:. Hitchcock was a masterpiece! The blind woman . . . :noshake: It always boggles my mind that Zhulin is their coach because I loved his competitive programs. :slink:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'm almost offended that you put G/P and B/S in the same category :dev2:. Hitchcock was a masterpiece! The blind woman . . . :noshake: It always boggles my mind that Zhulin is their coach because I loved his competitive programs. :slink:

It's just a matter of taste! :p

But yes: Hitchcock was a masterpiece and I thought for sure they'd have earned that third spot for Sochi. I would like to see them update it for the next quad, when they will (likely) become the top Canadian dance team and do whatever the eff they want!!