Head Scratching Programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Head Scratching Programs

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
urmanov picking up an imaginary telephone will forever be iconic.

Just thinking about that makes me burst out in hysterical laughter. :rofl: I was only 10 years old in 1994, and even back then, I laughed at it so hard seeing it live.

At least when Evgenia answers the phone, it’s actually because one rang in her music. :biggrin:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Any of the ice dancers skating to "latin rhythms" who couldn't choose real Latin music but instead put a "latin beat" to pop music, especially P/C Ed Sheeran program.

Ooooh, such shade. :laugh:

The Rolling Stones and The Eagles aren’t exactly known for their Latin rhythms either, and I say this as a V/M fan. Saved by Santana, I guess. ;)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Now that we live in the Age of the Lyric, is anyone else waiting for a “Blades of Glory” - esque skate? I’m thinking particularly of the Marylin Monroe pair, with the slo-mo shot of her regurgitating pills with the aid of her partner’s heimlich manoeuvre. With so many skaters producing programs with “themes”, I can truly see this coming.
I mean, Adam Rippon is already doing a good enough job of putting Will Ferrell to shame with his SP (which I somehow love...why am I admitting this in public? 🤪)

Pfft, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with Adam’s fabulous short. Anyone who thinks otherwise can fight me. :devil: :laugh:

Re: that Blades of Glory program, while hilarious, it likely wouldn’t go over too well when the female skater starts dumping an entire bottle of pills down her throat, and half of them fall all over the ice.

I’ve seen a lot of pair lifts this year that I’ve called the Iron Lotus, but I can’t recall the exact ones at the moment.

GGFan

Record Breaker
For true head-scratching, confused dorkiness, the whole flying-zebra-seeing-snow-for-the-first-time thingy, complete with flaying arms and colorful costume. https://youtu.be/F893u_lTNVw
I love Lambiel, but that program makes me feel even dumber than I am when I think of his choice of theme/costume :laugh: That program wouldn't be as memorable if he had taken a more "normal" route, it's true (gorgeous jumps aside) but, like, really. A parrot zebra doesn't do anyone any favors.

Stephane is the only person who I could give a pass for that costume. He was so committed to it that by the time he was spinning I would start to second guess myself: "well maybe he does have a point of view here!" :laugh2: The spins would hypnotize me into submission :devil:

His actual explanation of said costume was everything I wanted it to be and more :biggrin: Listening to the Four Seasons and hearing a horse that is transformed into a zebra with wings has to be one of my favorite images ever! :rofl:

It's like Coleridge's Kubla Khan but without the opium :dev2:

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
Philippe Candeloro, 1996 SP "Dune" super-space-mullet
..Not sure what he's doing at the end, maybe juggling a bowl of hot soup and getting some in his eye before serving it?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I'm not gonna lie but knowing the context behind Medvedeva's SP last year still doesn't sit right with me (although the program itself was fine). But actually downright head-scratching programs were the aboriginal program at Vancouver, Makarova's Marilyn Monroe program, Tarasova and Morozov's candy man skate, just the bizarre difference of halves in Mae Berenice's FS this season, Da Bin's mama I'm a big girl now made me very uncomfortable watching it especially paired with the costume, I didn't find it head-scratching but Jimmy Ma's turn down for what short program had Johnny and Tara very confused. Also, while I liked it, I didn't get the point with Alena pairing Harley Quinn with something upbeat like it's Oh So Quiet (and I get it can be creepily upbeat like Harley...but Oh So Quiet isn't creepily upbeat like that IMO.) Also while I loved Kuchvalska's performance at Euros she weirdly put Nino Rota's Romeo and Juliet and El Tango de Roxanne into a program.

Hahaha...I remember the "aboriginal" costume and even the controversy when they appeared to be in blackface as well. It was even weirder that they didn't seem to understand what the big deal was and why everyone was fussing about it.
I totally agree that the Candyman program of Tarasova and Morozov is strange - to me its like a program for a novice team, not for an Olympic medal contender.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
..Not sure what he's doing at the end, maybe juggling a bowl of hot soup and getting some in his eye before serving it?

OMG I nearly fell of my chair laughing when I saw this at the end - yeah looks like hot soup juggling for sure....guessing he did his own choreography?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

His LP of the season is also quite hilarious mainly due to the "flat cowboy hat" stuck on his back. It is not dangling at all unlike other props, just glued on his vest all the time. :laugh:

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Pfft, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with Adam’s fabulous short. Anyone who thinks otherwise can fight me. :devil: :laugh:

Re: that Blades of Glory program, while hilarious, it likely wouldn’t go over too well when the female skater starts dumping an entire bottle of pills down her throat, and halfway of them fall all over the ice.

I’ve seen a lot of pair lifts this year that I’ve called the Iron Lotus, but I can’t recall the exact ones at the moment.

Oh, I do think it’s fabulous, don’t worry about that ;) it just so makes that movie spring to mind when he looks/points/whatever at the judges.
Didn’t Adam have to spend about an hour & a half picking things off the ice before one of his LP’s this year? I can see props becoming allowed, the ...girls who go collect the flowers & stuff? (Noooo idea of their title!) would just need more intricate training lol.
That would negate the need for miming, I’m sure many people on here would be cheering at that! ;)

The Iron Lotus!!! How did I not mention that?? There have been so many “well, someone doesn’t value their cranium much” moments this season!! 😂

medoroa

On the Ice
His LP of the season is also quite hilarious mainly due to the "flat cowboy hat" stuck on his back. It is not dangling at all unlike other props, just glued on his vest all the time. :laugh:

He said at the begining of that season he originally wanted fake guns around his hips and a real hat but the judges said a big fat no way. So they had to circle around the rules.

The cowboys he's portraying is very famous in France and part of Europe. He did a great job. Lucky Luke. Alas, nobody got it as it's not well known elsewhere.