2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS | Page 125 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Why do they prefer Harrell over Kalyan as alternate for JW?

Kalyan doesn't have the minimums
Plus Hanna is seen as the future, alongside Cui and Liu. She had the highest sectionals score of all the junior ladies

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Karen had a good reason the girl was sick in bed all day and missed practice on thursday i'm proud of how she fought even when she didn't feel her best. I have a feeling she will skate better at the Olympics now that she has her programs all set.

Actually, it may be to the contrary. When you're sick, it's easier to ignore pressure and focus on the task at hand. In fact, people were predicting that her illness would help her. A healthy Karen at the OG may be more vulnerable to the same head games that always take her out

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I think anyone with even a casual understanding of figure skating can see that she earned it fair and square.

A lesser person would have let what happened in 2014 destroy them as a skater. What's most impressive about Mirai is that she used being let off the 2014 team as fuel to improve.

Honestly, if she weren't the universal sentimental favorite, people would be attacking and micromanaging the rotations of her jumps and calls that were/weren't made, not to mention her super high components here.

princessalica

Final Flight
That was personally my 3rd favorite performance behind Mirai and Mariah...but dang she really had a great break-out performance here I'm really proud of her. She has so much charisma and star quality so i hope she can work on her skating skills and improve her jumps because she has that performance quality in the bag.

Well Gracie was pretty good in 2013 when she almost won.
And wasn’t Karen a new senior when she first landed on the podium. And I’m 2014 wasn’t Polina fresh up from
Juniors?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, if she weren't the universal sentimental favorite, people would be attacking and micromanaging the rotations of her jumps and calls that were/weren't made, not to mention her super high components here.

Her components in the short program weren't "super high." She averaged less than 8. Maybe if her federation starts respecting Mirai's components, the international judges will, too. She is chronically underscored in PCS.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm pleased with the results & hope Mirai will pull off her triple axle at the Olympics. I wish all 3 of the girls well. Ashley will be remembered as a gritty champion & has nothing to be in despair over. She's represented the U.S.A very well over the years.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karen had a good reason the girl was sick in bed all day and missed practice on thursday i'm proud of how she fought even when she didn't feel her best. I have a feeling she will skate better at the Olympics now that she has her programs all set.

I wish someone at the recent press conference would have asked how she was feeling during the long program. Pretty lame questions overall. None to Bradie about her expectations going into this season. None to Karen about her illness or what she hopes improve between now and S. Korea. Mirai was asked the most questions but I would have asked for her thoughts on why she was able to do the 3A perfectly in practice but not in competition, at least not yet and her plans for trying to perfect it for the Olympics. Maybe these questions were asked yesterday--I didn't see yesterday's conference. I also would have asked Bradie and Karen about their gala programs.

beki

Medalist
Just watched the competition. I will be honest - not very impressive. The ladies had challenges to skate clean programs. It is quite clear who are powerhouses in ladies now when comparing this with thpse from Japanese and Russian nationals. Bradie Tennel is the rightful winner. But is she better than Daria Panenkova who was just 8th at RN? I don't think so.

The only hope is Mirai's getting clean 3A landing and working on her URs. Then she is sort of competitive internationally.

Karen Chen showed some promise. She is a beautiful skater. The problem is that she has been showing this promise for some years now. Where is the breakthrough with clean programs without URs? Will it ever happen?

Ashley, sigh. I used to be a fan. Not anymore. Her skating is tired - she lost the spark. And without it she is just "good average skater".

...The best bet for USFS will be to put Bradie at both segments of team competition. At least she will skate clean and judges here did their best to pump up her pcs to the level she absolutely does not deserve to impress international judges...

Sorry for being negative but it was quite depressing with Starr Andrews the only exception.

A shame that Angela Wang and Amber Glenn have such poor nerves, because their actual skills are good. Same for Mariah really.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
A shame that Angela Wang and Amber Glenn have such poor nerves, because their actual skills are good. Same for Mariah really.

Agreed, both of these girls are quite enjoyable to watch.

Now that we're on topic of Russian vs American nationals, I think that Bradie would have placed 13rd in Russian nationals with an identical performance. I don't see any world where she is better than Anna Tarusina.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watched the competition. I will be honest - not very impressive. The ladies had challenges to skate clean programs. It is quite clear who are powerhouses in ladies now when comparing this with thpse from Japanese and Russian nationals. Bradie Tennel is the rightful winner. But is she better than Daria Panenkova who was just 8th at RN? I don't think so.

The only hope is Mirai's getting clean 3A landing and working on her URs. Then she is sort of competitive internationally.

Karen Chen showed some promise. She is a beautiful skater. The problem is that she has been showing this promise for some years now. Where is the breakthrough with clean programs without URs? Will it ever happen?

Ashley, sigh. I used to be a fan. Not anymore. Her skating is tired - she lost the spark. And without it she is just "good average skater".

...The best bet for USFS will be to put Bradie at both segments of team competition. At least she will skate clean and judges here did their best to pump up her pcs to the level she absolutely does not deserve to impress international judges...

Sorry for being negative but it was quite depressing with Starr Andrews the only exception.

Starr is an exciting newcomer but still pretty junior-ish. Her long program music is pretty awful, with her average karaoke taking up most of the time and then switching to the matchless Whitney Houston near the end. She should have used Whitney for the whole thing. I also disagree that the competition was depressing. It was exciting. There was a real question whether it would be Ashley or Karen that came down to Karen's score. I thought Ashley was going to squeak through. I wasn't watching it to try to figure out whether anyone would be competitive at the Olympics. Skaters have to get on the team first. A lot can happen. The bronze medal, at least, it there for the taking so the pressure will be on. We've seen favorites falter before. It could happen again. Why spoil a dramatic, high-stakes competition by speculating about a future competition?

Amei

Record Breaker
Ashely is impulsive, especially when the outcome is not what she wants. She certainly doesn't seem to have thought this one through, before she opened her mouth.

After her FS on the ice she behaved as if she skated the greatest program maybe thinking that she'd done enough, then after the scores were displayed any time the cameras went to her she looked like a brat. I wanted to scream at the TV 'you are 26, act like it'

Flutz Capacitor

Rinkside
Oh Starr sang part of that song. That's cool. I wish she picked something more modern, less schmultzy. Could be cool if she sang an original.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Does that mean Ashley will actually go to 4CC this time? Thats pretty savage.. I thought they'd give her worlds as a consolation prize.

Well, they didn't give Mirai Worlds as a consolation in 2014, but 4CC instead. They probably felt they owe it to her to do the same this time around. :coffee:

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Actually, it may be to the contrary. When you're sick, it's easier to ignore pressure and focus on the task at hand. In fact, people were predicting that her illness would help her. A healthy Karen at the OG may be more vulnerable to the same head games that always take her out
Karen could really shine at the OG cuz she is the #3 girl and doesn't have the expectation of winning

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Karen could really shine at the OG cuz she is the #3 girl and doesn't have the expectation of winning

Honestly, none of them has the expectation of winning. Barely even the expectation of making the podium tbh, only if there's a splatfest. :slink:

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Honestly, none of them has the expectation of winning. Barely even the expectation of making the podium tbh, only if there's a splatfest. :slink:
Don't agree...anything can happen at the Olympics but what I mean is Karen can put in a good performance because she doesn't have the expectation of being the best on her team

kasha6

Rinkside
Actually, they were more or less in line with international PCS this season and last season. A tad lower, perhaps, but not significantly much lower. I wouldn't necessarily change her PCS. The issue was that everyone else got inflated, some more than others, so her PCS seemed much lower in comparison, which, indeed, is what made the writing on the wall re her chances on being on the team virtually known before hand.

Xeyra, I believe you are correct. It's not that AW scores were so low, it's the inflation of the others. For Braedie to have higher PCs than Yuna is ludicrous