2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS | Page 131 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS

winky97

Medalist
You all need to watch this funny video that features Ashley, Gracie & Harry Potter by Koola King to cheer up little bit. :biggrin: Brilliant sense of humour displayed in this timely reaction as well ... as fine editing skills. It cracks me up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOir9s3vGNo

She has some funny videos over there. She has one with Zagitova and her team calling the team abusive of Zagitova with Wendy Williams making faces in the the video

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I was told that Starr isn't doing junior worlds bc it's too much pressure with 4cc.

That...seems to be a bad decision on her teams part. Competing against the best is the only way to gain much needed experience to move up to the top of the ladder and competing against the *current* field of junior ladies is invaluable IMO, even more so than 4CC. They are the future of ladies figure skating and they will be the standard. Feels like a waste of an opportunity. :eek:hwell:

cell

On the Ice
But she knew ... :confused: I think it was not a farfetched assumption. She definitely felt safe with her enormous advantage after SP and how they always give her overbloated evaluation in scores, she also was doing well before that error.

After all she beat Radionova at 2016 Europeans after also falling on 2A.

She laughed because that's the easiest jump of the program and a random fall not because she knows she is going to get high scores

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
4CC is at the end of January, and Junior Worlds aren't until March. If that's the reason, it makes no sense to me.

Exactly, it makes no sense. Pressure? For JW? Careers can be short, grab every opportunity you're given. She and her team sound pretty flaky.

singerskates

On the Ice
I am glad that Charlie White blasted the judges for the ridiculous inflation of Bradie Tennell’s PCS. I can’t remember a US ladies champion who has ever had less artistry and presence on the ice. Aside from her technique and consistency, she is totally forgettable. If Bradie can get 69+ in PCS, then I hope Skate Canada gives Osmond 80 in PCS this week and Kostner better get 90 in South Korea. [emoji23]
Skate Canada tends to under mark our Canadian skaters heading to World and the Olympics to motivate them to improve even more.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I know that this ''I am gonna laugh'' is a projection depending on how you view Medvedeva in general but one can bet that if it were Russian Nationals with Zagitova skating besides here that she would not laugh at all. It does not have to be fully conscious from Medvedeva to fall into the patern. So it's not that for off the mark if one see it this way. I for once was not sore over her laughing this off but I can see why some could see it differently.

Yeah. 100% this.

Also, Mariah Bell wasn't laughing when she fell on her 2A with an otherwise perfect program. She knew that the fall will cost her any chance of the podium, and it arguably affected her PCS too. Sure, this is a national competition, but usually the skater has the same reaction in international comp too. Yuna wasn't laughing when she fell on her 3S in the Golden Spin competition, even though she would have won by a margin even with another mistake. It's just not normal behavior.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well its over - US Nationals. I don't really understand the pcs this time. I have nothing against Bradie but the judges gave her the benefit of the doubt in respect to pcs because if the judges wanted they could have sewered her in pcs ie ten or more points lower ifthey wanted. I have no allegiance to any of the ladies and at times I have not liked Ashley's outspokenness but her pcs seemed low compared to Bradie especially. We all know another time another competition a skate like Bradie where artistically she appeared may be junior or lacking conviction or polish would be enough to keep her off the podium even with a senior elegant skater making errors. Well what is done is done. I hope Ashley skates well at 4CC's.

cell

On the Ice
Yeah. 100% this.

Also, Mariah Bell wasn't laughing when she fell on her 2A with an otherwise perfect program. She knew that the fall will cost her any chance of the podium, and it arguably affected her PCS too. Sure, this is a national competition, but usually the skater has the same reaction in international comp too. Yuna wasn't laughing when she fell on her 3S in the Golden Spin competition, even though she would have won by a margin even with another mistake. It's just not normal behavior.
Medvedeva is used to doing 3-3-3 in practice...so of course she is going to think falling on a double axel is silly given that she usually does the jump in her sleep

Flutz Capacitor

Rinkside
I try not to but fault a skater for laughing off his/her mistake. Patrick Chan would do that a lot when he was on top and knew he'd win by a big margin. I only blame the judging if said skater is being propped up with inflated scores, and therefore might not have to experience the same type of pressure as his/her competitors.
But I guess it's hard not to have sour feelings towards the skater. Admittedly, I kinda hate Sotnikova for suddenly being propped up by the "judges" at Sochi.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yeah. 100% this.

Actually, Mariah was clearly laughing and smiling after she fell on her 2A. You can see it clearly at 4:15 here: https://youtu.be/3RzKVMgYAJA?t=4m15s

Janet Lynn famously smiled and laughed when she fell on her flying sit spin during her LP at the 1972 Olympics: https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...t-the-1972-winter-olympics-picture-id72404378

Many people at the time praised Janet for her positive attitude and good humor even while making a major mistake at the biggest competition of her life. But I guess we now live in a more cynical time where people automatically assume the worst of others even during the most innocuous of gestures :rolleye:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
You mean the stuff that people train rigorously for hours and hours on end on the ice to achieve. Her perfect technique and calm presentation should have easily won over all of those nervous looking performances that everyone else was putting out. Performances riddled with technical errors. The SP showed me exactly how unpreperated our ladies are to deliver a clean SP in an important event. Most looked terrified! What was it...two girls in the whole field were capable of showing up prepared to deliver a clean SP? To me it’s not even disputable who won and I don’t care how the judges do it. It needed to be done!

thank you! the hate that this girl gets is beyond disgusting. why don't they have the balls to be more blunt about her? I hope Bradie kills it at Olympics. I am sure she's read some of these odious comments.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I think Wagner was very harshly marked on PCS. Tennell and Chen should not have been marked ahead of her. I would have her in 3rd. I think it was a very public dumping by the USFSA. I liked La La Land for her, I was bored with Moulin Rouge, it was time for a change.

I never really noticed Tennell in Juniors but I was impressed with her. Yes, the performance skills need to improve but her jumps look good. Hopefully she skates well in the Olympics, there will be a lot of pressure on her. It’s nice to see Nagasu get back to the Olympics after Sochi but I don’t particularly enjoy her skating. It always seen so heavy and labored and I’m never sure if she is enjoying herself.

slider11

Medalist
Bradie Tennell is a magnificent jumper and I admire her composure at Nationals. I am concerned for her physical fragility considering her past injuries. Since she's almost 20 she is likely not going to experience growth spurts. But that grinding practice of triples has to have an effect on the bones and joints of such a slender woman. It's probably good for her that the Olympics are just a month away. She may be able to go in and do a "Tara Lipinski", win big and then see how her body holds up. She seems to have a good coaching team and her mother seems very connected to her training. I can't imagine my mother, not me, getting the text message that I was on the Olympic team. But if that's what it takes for Bradie to be at her best then I guess that works for them. I hope Bradie gets a chance to connect with other skaters at the Olympics.