Wagner "furious" on scores | Golden Skate

Wagner "furious" on scores

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wagner opened with a triple flip-triple toeloop, but she under-rotated a late triple Lutz. She also only received a level three on her footwork and final spin. The 26-year-old admitted she was not satisfied with her score of 196.19 (130.25 long program).
"I am absolutely furious!" said the three-time U.S. champion and reigning silver medalist. "For me to put out two programs as solid as I did at this competition and to get those scores, I am furious. I am a performer, and that second mark is not there. I am absolutely OK with them being strict on my rotations - that's what U.S. Figure Skating should demand of its judges, but it needs to be across the board. I don't necessarily feel it's been that way. Even though I am not happy with the score, I delivered something that was solid and something that I am proud of. It needs a little more legwork, but that's because it's a month old, and I have no doubt in my mind that 'La La Land' was the program I needed to get where I wanted to be. This is how I feel, and I delivered when I needed to. All of these girls delivered when they needed to. I want to be on that Olympic team, and I am really mad that I am in this position again."

More...

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Taan

On the Ice
Wagner 'absolutely furious' at judges

:eek:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-scoring-figure-skating-olympics/1009838001/
“I’m furious,” the always outspoken Wagner said. “I am absolutely furious. I know when I go and I lay it down and I absolutely left one jump on the table (turning a triple salchow into a single) but for me to put out two programs that I did at this competition, as solid as I skated and to get those scores, I am furious, and I think deservedly so.

“I am a performer. And that second mark is just not there (the judges’ component scores). I’m absolutely OK with them being strict on my (jump) rotations, but it needs to be across the board.”

:eek: :eeking:

twirlingblades

Medalist
Wagner 'absolutely furious' at judges

She also got a level 3 on one spin and her step sequence, and < her lutz, so let’s not pretend like she skated lights out.

Making faces only gets you so far at this point, and I’m saying this as an Ashley fan.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley needs to get over herself. Aside from her performance ability she was weaker then just about every other skater in the final group in skating skills spins and has nobody but herself to blame. Fact is in Olympic years she doesn't bring it at Nationals and her skating is regressing.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
She also got a level 3 on one spin and her step sequence, and < her lutz, so let’s not pretend like she skated lights out.

Making faces only gets you so far at this point, and I’m saying this as an Ashley fan.

but it got her VERY VERY far (a world silver!) so I can't blame her for being surprised that it suddenly didn't work when it has been for quite a while.

Ashley's skating has been for a number of years lacking in transitions and her choreography could be summed up as "mugging for the camera" with the over the top facial expressions and corny head and shoulder rolls. Despite this the international judges still marked her high in the PCS area. I mean she wasn't the only one this week shocked by the marks, everybody online was saying it

dailytg20

On the Ice
"It needs a little more legwork, but that's because it's a month old, and I have no doubt in my mind that 'La La Land' was the program I needed to get where I wanted to be."
I'm sure she's frustrated, but isn't this admitting a huge tactical error by Team Wagner? You shouldn't be entering Nationals with a program that "needs a little more legwork." I remember Kristi Yamaguchi saying you need that shiz locked down before the new year.

As much as I enjoy Ashley, she is not brand new. She knows she didn't nail it when she needed to.

Imagine

Medalist
Um yeah, good job Ashley on basically sealing the deal. It really isn't even a debate anymore over who is going to the Olympics. The team will be Bradie, the one who will make USFS great again, Mirai, the one who has the triple axel (like they talk about in that one movie), and Karen Chen. They are not going to put Ashley, the one who finished in fourth place (deservedly, or not), onto the Olympic team. Not again, not for the same person, and especially not after all the backlash they got for doing that the last time. The optics of this would be absolutely horrendous, like CNN using it as a prime example of the ugly racial issues in the country horrendous. It's not even like pre-Sochi when Ashley was coming in as a legitimate medal contender. Her "body of work" these past two seasons is not going to do her any favors this time around. Call it fair, unfair, politically motivated, or what have you but it is what it is.

And even if you were to argue that Ashley had the better performances here (a view which I personally do not subscribe to), then by how much? Clearly, she didn't beat Bradie, Mirai, or Karen technically, so do her PCS really count for all that? The way she speaks about her own performances it's like she exists on another plane along with Carolina Kostner or something, and everyone else is basically a gangly junior. Perhaps that argument would work if say, Bradie Tennell were the 3rd place finisher, but against Karen Chen? It's a bit of a long shot. Do I think Karen Chen has better artistic abilities vs Ashley Wagner? No, I honestly don't. But do I think Ashley's artistry makes Karen's look like that of some awkwardly novice? No. I mean, this is ultimately her argument is it not? That she should have received far higher PCS in this competition, therefore implying that she should have placed at least 3rd or higher. Okay, fine. I actually believe she was being lowballed in the short, and have said that. But do I think the overall placement was wrong? Nah, not really. Do I think she was underscored and others, overscored in the FS? Yeah, I do. But was La La Land this undeniable magnum opus that was so superior to everything else in the competition that it magically erased the mistakes that she made? Nope. It was a decent program, but certainly not even one of her bests. At times it was just Ashley looking beautiful skating to beautiful music. Nothing wrong with that, but it was not game changing or anything. But in her mind, I guess this program makes Yuna Kim weep with jealousy or something. I'm sorry, but if your claim to a spot on the team in an Olympic year is going to be PCS, then sadly it's an uphill battle as lest we forget, PCS are totally subjective.

And no disrespect to Ashley but she has realistically maxed out her scoring potential years ago, and is a bit long in the tooth (but I guess that just equates to being way more experienced than everyone else in her mind). What else is there left to prove? She's accomplished multiple US titles, she's an Olympic medalist, and she is the US lady who broke the medal draught at Worlds, against all odds and despite not being the pre-ordained "Golden" child. She could retire today and probably be the most accomplished US skater in the past decade. There's no shame in that. But to go down kicking and screaming like this as if she was on the receiving end of some grave injustice, that's just not a good look. How she has reacted to her own lackluster performance just rubs me in all the wrong ways. I actually felt second hand embarrassment for rooting all week for such a sore loser. I was this close to becoming an actual, full-on fan because she is objectively speaking, a total legend. Ashley, c'mon. There's a fine line between self confidence and pure delusion/arrogance, and she's unfortunately one wobble of an edge from falling off the wrong side imo.

Makes me think of the quote: "Confidence is silent. Insecurities are loud."

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
For me, it wasn't that Ashley was undermarked since I think her marks are actually correct. It is that Karen (and Bradie for that matter) was overmarked in PCS by a wide margin.

As xeyra pointed in the Ladies thread, Karen was given about 10 points in PCS when combining the short and long compared to the PCS she received on the Grand Prix series. I can see giving her a few extra points since she performed better here by a bit, but hardly 10 points worth. The amount of inflation was rather ridiculous, overtly political, and appalling.

I don't really have a preference between Chen or Wagner, but the US judges really placed their thumbs on the scale on this one.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Aiyiyi, Ashley.... girl I love you but no. You missed the Olympic team by 2.5 points- THAT'S YOUR POPPED JUMP! :palmf:

bobbob

Medalist
Um yeah, good job Ashley on basically sealing the deal. It really isn't even a debate anymore over who is going to the Olympics. The team will be Bradie, the one who will make USFS great again, Mirai, the one who has the triple axel (like they talk about in that one movie), and Karen Chen. They are not going to put Ashley, the one who finished in fourth place (deservedly, or not), onto the Olympic team. Not again, not for the same person, and especially not after all the backlash they got for doing that the last time. The optics of this would be absolutely horrendous, like CNN using it as a prime example of the ugly racial issues in the country horrendous. It's not even like pre-Sochi when Ashley was coming in as a legitimate medal contender. Her "body of work" these past two seasons is not going to do her any favors this time around. Call it fair, unfair, politically motivated, or what have you but it is what it is.

And even if you were to argue that Ashley had the better performances here (a view which I personally do not subscribe to), then by how much? Clearly, she didn't beat Bradie, Mirai, or Karen technically, so do her PCS really count for all that? The way she speaks about her own performances it's like she exists on another plane along with Carolina Kostner or something, and everyone else is basically a gangly junior. Perhaps that argument would work if say, Bradie Tennell were the 3rd place finisher, but against Karen Chen? It's a bit of a long shot. Do I think Karen Chen has better artistic abilities vs Ashley Wagner? No, I honestly don't. But do I think Ashley's artistry makes Karen's look like that of some awkwardly novice? No. I mean, this is ultimately her argument is it not? That she should have received far higher PCS in this competition, therefore implying that she should have placed at least 3rd or higher. Okay, fine. I actually believe she was being lowballed in the short, and have said that. But do I think the overall placement was wrong? Nah, not really. Do I think she was underscored and others, overscored in the FS? Yeah, I do. But was La La Land this undeniable magnum opus that was so superior to everything else in the competition that it magically erased the mistakes that she made? Nope. It was a decent program, but certainly not even one of her bests. At times it was just Ashley looking beautiful skating to beautiful music. Nothing wrong with that, but it was not game changing or anything. But in her mind, I guess this program makes Yuna Kim weep with jealousy or something. I'm sorry, but if your claim to a spot on the team in an Olympic year is going to be PCS, then sadly it's an uphill battle as lest we forget, PCS are totally subjective.

And no disrespect to Ashley but she has realistically maxed out her scoring potential years ago, and is a bit long in the tooth (but I guess that just equates to being way more experienced than everyone else in her mind). What else is there left to prove? She's accomplished multiple US titles, she's an Olympic medalist, and she is the US lady who broke the medal draught at Worlds, against all odds and despite not being the pre-ordained "Golden" child. She could retire today and probably be the most accomplished US skater in the past decade. There's no shame in that. But to go down kicking and screaming like this as if she was on the receiving end of some grave injustice, that's just not a good look. How she has reacted to her own lackluster performance just rubs me in all the wrong ways. I actually felt second hand embarrassment for rooting all week for such a sore loser. I was this close to becoming an actual, full-on fan because she is objectively speaking, a total legend. Ashley, c'mon. There's a fine line between self confidence and pure delusion/arrogance, and she's unfortunately one wobble of an edge from falling off the wrong side imo.

Makes me think of the quote: "Confidence is silent. Insecurities are loud."

First paragraph is true--she doesn't have a chance. But the second paragraph doesn't make any sense. She BEAT Karen technically, it's her PCS that put her score below Karen's. And you yourself somewhat agree that Karen's PCS is not as strong as Ashley's.....so at least give Ashley equal PCS, which would have given her the win? How can you believe that she was lowballed and has stronger PCS than Karen, yet at the same time think that Karen should have still beaten her? Remember, they were only separated by 2.5 points, all of that coming from Karen's oddly higher PCS. Perhaps you think she is a little boastful about her abilities, which I guess is valid, but your analysis of the scoring is deeply confusing.

evasorange

Final Flight
The writing was on the wall in the sp when the judges gave Karen a 4 point lead even though they both had made similar mistakes. Actually the writing was on the wall at last years nationals when Ashley should have won but was beaten by Karen because of overlooked urs. They want Karen on the team over Ashley. I wish to God she hadn't popped that triple but it still probably wouldn't have mattered. The pcs is whack for all of them and I'm glad to see the judges get called out even though it will probably just hurt Ashley in the long run.

ask

Match Penalty
They should have thrown her a few more carrots to keep her TES in line, too. Miss Karen was unfairly UR on 2 jumps. And Ashley got away with 2. Tipping the scale to Karen by at least 10 more points.

YagsFan

On the Ice
Great post, Imagine! I agree with everything you've said, though I come to it from slightly a different direction. All through the comp. I found myself not really in Ashley's corner, and constantly trying to figure out why. I've never before been a super Mirai fan (and I actually thought the team decision for Sochi was correct), so that wasn't my problem with Ashley. But somehow, when I read and listened to her post-comp comments, it all came together for me. IMHO, it's all about her attitude. Not just this in-your-face, it's not fair stuff, but her whole apparent attitude towards competing. She obviously sees herself as an entertainer, and I certainly would give her that. But what she doesn't seem to get is that she can't just count on one aspect of her skating to make up for others. She claims to love to come from behind, which I believe has led her to overlook the importance of the short program. So she doesn't do what she really needs to in the short, thinking she'll make up for it in the long (which sometimes has worked, I'll admit). She entertains and skates "from her heart", especially in the long, but doesn't (or can't) do what she needs to to correct her jumping and spinning deficits. Then she complains that she's not getting enough credit for the entertaining/heart-felt performance. Why not "bank" her better points, and work like heck on the lesser ones?
Anyway, I for one was totally on board with the results tonight, and I hope that tomorrow we learn that the 3 top finishers are our Olympic team. One strong additional point in Karen's favor, I believe, is the fact that it was her placement at Worlds that got us the 3rd spot. Seems like that should put a little extra weight on her side of the scales. Looking forward to tomorrow's competitions:)

ask

Match Penalty
The writing was on the wall in the sp when the judges gave Karen a 4 point lead even though they both had made similar mistakes. Actually the writing was on the wall at last years nationals when Ashley should have won but was beaten by Karen because of overlooked urs. They want Karen on the team over Ashley. I wish to God she hadn't popped that triple but it still probably wouldn't have mattered. The pcs is whack for all of them and I'm glad to see the judges get called out even though it will probably just hurt Ashley in the long run.

How about the writing was on the wall with the weak skating skills? That writing was at least 10 years old. Did she do anything for the past 10 years to fix it?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For starters I think Ashley being ahead of Mariah is easily debatable in and of itself.

As for Karen...I don’t think there is much to dispute really. Glad the judges saw it too and I expect as live reports continue to roll in we’ll hear more and more people confirm this view. It’s not an insult to Ashley but more of a credit to Karen.

Sorry Ashley :(

evasorange

Final Flight
How about the writing was on the wall with the weak skating skills? That writing was at least 10 years old. Did she do anything for the past 10 years to fix it?

You are out here convinced that Ashley has zero skills and could be beating by any five year old at a public rink. Her record says differently of course, but you just don't want to hear it. I have no idea what you see when you watch Ashley skate but it's certainly not what most others see and it certainly isn't indicative of any reality past or present

Spinning

On the Ice
Whatever Wagner is throwing with her attitude entitled, this time around it will come to bite her behind at the end. She couldn't sell her delusional self perception forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.