Wagner "furious" on scores | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Wagner "furious" on scores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

On the Ice
For me, it wasn't that Ashley was undermarked since I think her marks are actually correct. It is that Karen (and Bradie for that matter) was overmarked in PCS by a wide margin.

As xeyra pointed in the Ladies thread, Karen was given about 10 points in PCS when combining the short and long compared to the PCS she received on the Grand Prix series. I can see giving her a few extra points since she performed better here by a bit, but hardly 10 points worth. The amount of inflation was rather ridiculous, overtly political, and appalling.

I don't really have a preference between Chen or Wagner, but the US judges really placed their thumbs on the scale on this one.

I think the US judges are thanking Karen for getting US 3 spots for the Olympics.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
So, if the US federation is losing without her, why people think that they did dump her?, What they won doing that?
I don't know. I'm not one who thinks they dumped her. I don't think the U.S. federation tells judges what to do. I just think there was some questionable scoring. I don't think, given the result, the USFSA made a wrong decision, I just think that Ashley being pissed is not ideal for them. Probably matters more to them than it does to Ashley, who likely won't be competing in another nationals.

Barb

Record Breaker
Show me this...

you were saying that her words were taken out of context, like you know what she really said. That is the reason why I am asking you, what she said? I don´t speak korean or japanese. I just remember from years ago that it was clear that she complained about it.

brightphoton

Medalist
Ashley chose to continue skating. She was making a living skating. No one was forcing, messing up her memory, or damaging her. There was no “sacrifice” here: there was a decision she made as an adult after evidently weighing the pros and cons. Just like all the other skaters in the competition.

There are no rewards for “sacrifice” in elite competition. It’s about performance.

Rude. You don't know half of what Ashley had gone through with her concussions, how the USFSA didn't even have a concussion safety protocol, the permanent memory problems Ashley has, or how much Rachel Flatt and her mother fought with the USFSA to take concussions even semi-seriously.

Ashley has sacrificed a lot for this sport.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please be constructive with criticism. Persistent, repetitive, unrelenting and pugnacious denunciation of skaters is not welcome.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Ashley chose to continue skating. She was making a living skating. No one was forcing, messing up her memory, or damaging her. There was no “sacrifice” here: there was a decision she made as an adult after evidently weighing the pros and cons. Just like all the other skaters in the competition.

There are no rewards for “sacrifice” in elite competition. It’s about performance.
Completely disagree, and as an obvious fan of skating I would hope you would appreciate the health and educational sacrifices skaters make for glory and your own enjoyment.

StormyCloudss

On the Ice
I’m actually glad that the NHL is out of the Olympics because it creates a new platform for aspiring players to make a name for themselves internationally. It’s a great thing even though I’ll miss some of the stars of the game.

My issue with this specifically (and it has nothing to do with figure skating, apologies) is that the teams are, for the most part, going to be made of players that couldn't cut it in the NHL and had to go to overseas leagues, or really young prospects that haven't been signed to an NHL contract yet/haven't been drafted yet. Some of these prospects are going to be great and will be highly touted, but some will also be selected because they have the higher floor now, which is a big part of why we see a ton of players do well in the World Juniors that don't actually end up doing well in the NHL.

It's great that there are players that had never thought they'd be going to the Olympics are now going to the Olympics, but I think that long term, it's a big negative for the sport as a whole. /end off-topic tangent.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
........ With Gracie absent and psychologically damaged and Ashley angry, the USFSA potentially has no stars to call upon on their behalf in seeking money, in putting together events, or in otherwise advertising itself.

Interesting idea that Ashley is a marketing product....

——

Ummmm....Starr Andrews? The “up and coming” storyline with the juniors? The “came out of nowhere” storyline that the Olympics loves? The “grace under pressure” humility of storied world level sports icons?

USFSA should have put Ashley on the Olympic team because they have no one else to market?

USFSA had better get it together in the marketing department if they had their marketing all oriented around one person who might or might not be on the next team, might get injured, might slam them on national TV. Whoever that person might be. That’s called “putting all your eggs in one basket”: lousy business strategy.

medoroa

On the Ice
you were saying that her words were taken out of context, like you know what she really said. That is the reason why I am asking you, what she said? I don´t speak korean or japanese. I just remember from years ago that it was clear that she complained about it.

I'm curious too. I like both Kim and Asada so I have no horse in this fandom war, but I always heard Kim did say "a Japanese skater" or "Japanese skaters" disturbed her in some way during practice. I agree with OS about it being blown way, way out of proportion by the Japanese and Korean medias, though.

concorde

Medalist
However, I think Ashley made 2 tactical mistakes this season. One was pulling LaLa Land and going back to Moulon Rouge. It gave the appearance of a "yesterday" skater who just keeps bringing up the past. The second was withdrawing in the middle of her FS at Skate America for a foot infection. I'm not questioning whether she had a medical condition. But it was odd to pull out during the performance for an existing condition. If she couldn't skate she should have withdrawn before the competition or at least before the FS. Her behavior gave suspect to a skater who was not ready to give a great performance so leaned on a medical condition to step away. I'm not sure that's exactly what happened but it gave the perception of some shenanigans. These 2 perceptions did not play in Ashley's favor last night when the committee met.

I think that decision was why USFS was not supportive of her.

If you remember, Rachel Flatt as fined by USFS for not acknowledging her injury before skating at Worlds.

Ashley had an existing injury and even Adam advised her to withdraw. My guess is Ashley assured USFS that she had the issue under control and she would be able to deliver. We know that did not happen. So USFS got egg on its face for knowingly using an injured skater (which negatively impacts their credibility). If she had withdrawn before the competition started, my guess is USFS could then have used that slot for another US skater of their choice (since they were the host country) unless they had to go with SB since technically Bradie was the host pick.

All of this is my personal theory was to why USFS was not generous with scoring for Ashley.

snd

On the Ice
i also agree that if there's someone who was underscored then that's mariah. many things about her skating are lovely and last worlds i found her much more enjoyable to watch than ashley... mariah is never slow or plodding, has lovely choreo and does know how to perform just fine - her performances do not fall apart with a couple of small mistakes.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Rude. You don't know half of what Ashley had gone through with her concussions, how the USFSA didn't even have a concussion safety protocol, the permanent memory problems Ashley has, or how much Rachel Flatt and her mother fought with the USFSA to take concussions even semi-seriously.

Ashley has sacrificed a lot for this sport.

It looks like you missed my point. I’m not arguing that the sport hasn’t brought Ashley injuries. I’m saying she chose to continue despite the risks. If she’d been forced to continue, that would have been a “sacrifice”. If she chose to continue, as she obviously did, that’s on her. She could have quit whenever she wanted.

twirlingblades

Medalist
but it got her VERY VERY far (a world silver!) so I can't blame her for being surprised that it suddenly didn't work when it has been for quite a while.

Ashley's skating has been for a number of years lacking in transitions and her choreography could be summed up as "mugging for the camera" with the over the top facial expressions and corny head and shoulder rolls. Despite this the international judges still marked her high in the PCS area. I mean she wasn't the only one this week shocked by the marks, everybody online was saying it

She was a stronger skater imo in 2016. I understand her frustration, but I don’t think the outrage is completely justified.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Wow! Ashely is a sore loser. She knew what it would take to make the Olympic team but her programs to my eyes were not up to par. I have been watching Figure Skating since before the days of Peggy Fleming. Instead of making commercials maybe she should have been working on some great new programs. La La land needed some fine tuning which only comes from Judges feed back. I think the 3 who are going fully deserve the spot. Bradie is special and has nerves of steel. Mairi should be highly commented for putting in all that hard work and knowing she had to step if up if she wanted to be on the Team. Same with Karen, who had been ill but still did her best. All 3 will represented US well at the Olympics. I just don't get it with Ashley. Always supported her but come on, did she think she was just going to be given a spot? That is what it seems like to me.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Interesting idea that Ashley is a marketing product....

——

Ummmm....Starr Andrews? The “up and coming” storyline with the juniors? The “came out of nowhere” storyline that the Olympics loves? The “grace under pressure” humility of storied world level sports icons?

USFSA should have put Ashley on the Olympic team because they have no one else to market?

USFSA had better get it together in the marketing department if they had their marketing all oriented around one person who might or might not be on the next team, might get injured, might slam them on national TV. Whoever that person might be. That’s called “putting all your eggs in one basket”: lousy business strategy.

How much value can they really put on Ashley's marketability when this sport gets more irrelevant by the year in the US? Weren't ratings for Nationals last year below a million viewers? Didn't ladies used to skate on Saturdays because they were the more premiere event?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please be constructive with criticism. Persistent, repetitive, unrelenting and pugnacious denunciation of skaters is not welcome.

Thank you. I hate to see piling on.

I'm not an Ashley fan, and I am happy with the results and the Olympic team. But I feel badly for her. I do not think she has done herself any favors at all with her reaction.

The comments section of the Yahoo article is brutal. She has a life after figure skating, and she has damaged her reputation and future marketability. She's free to say whatever she wants in America, but she's not free of consequences. The "Sore Loser" brand is not a winning formula.

Years invested in establishing relevance, credibility, and respect can be wiped away in an instant, and she may have done it in the eyes of the general public. I hope she's got a trusted adviser to help her through this. Maybe she can repair the damage.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I see a lot of people on Twitter complaining about the 'body of work' criteria, saying that Karen and Bradie don't have the same body of work that Ashley does. I think that's crazy, it's like picking Leonova and Tuktamisheva instead of Zagitova because they have more experience. In my opinion, the BOW criteria works in a case like Yuzuru, when he was injured but currently holds all the records and is more than capable of winning\medaling when healthy.

After her silver in Boston, Ashley has been slowly but surely getting worse, and as much as I love her as a performer, her experience is simply not enough to grant her a spot on the team if she doesn't perform well. If Nats was a slip up, maybe. But her season so far hasn't been good at all. BOW doesn't mean 'free pass if you're the most famous\experienced skater'.

With all that said, I would have sent her to Worlds.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think Ashley's statements came from anger at herself. It happens.
It was a hard slap in the face for her to accept her placement and she
probably felt like her federation threw her under the bus with her scores.

I get where she is coming from and wished she made the podium because I always thought
that the US was going to go with the podium finishers (which I agree with) this time after
the 2014 backlash.

The chart that someone posted regarding the top four's previous PC scores in relation to their Nationals PC scores
was very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.