Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: When it’s time to move forward- Pro skating

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    The new Cirque show on ice is called Crystal. And - it will be at SAP Center on 3/28.

I do think the price of tickets is outrageous but there also have been a diminishing number of SOI shows being offered from when it first started. It always comes to SAP Center on Mother's Day. I've gone a few times but my family rebelled. I agree that a centralized show like in Vegas or somewhere would probably not bring in enough people other than the ubers and people living close by. What I think needs to happen is they need stars! That IS the name of the show. Other than Meryl and Charlie and a few of the more popular amateurs who don't play all of the shows, it's the same ol' same ol' - and that's okay if you follow those skaters like Ryan Bradley, Ekaterina Gordeev, etc.

Don't know the answer but agree with Mrs.P that it needs better marketing.

Because backflips are sexy.... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
    They need to make SOI non-National based.

It always used to be international stars and now it's just US skaters. Great for some but not so much for others.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    They need to make SOI non-National based.

It always used to be international stars and now it's just US skaters. Great for some but not so much for others.
    I wonder why this is? Are foreign skaters unwilling to do them or is it the organizers thinking Americans only want to see US skaters?

This probably wasn't reported in North American media, but I remember reading about Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze dropping SOI after a while because they felt like second fiddle to S/P and weren't being treated all that well by the show.

Because backflips are sexy.... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by medoroa View Post
    I wonder why this is? Are foreign skaters unwilling to do them or is it the organizers thinking Americans only want to see US skaters?

This probably wasn't reported in North American media, but I remember reading about Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze dropping SOI after a while because they felt like second fiddle to S/P and weren't being treated all that well by the show.
    The American organizers thinking US fans only want to see American skaters, which is ridiculous IMHO, I know many that would love to see D/R, Uno, C/L, V/M, J/C, Waka, etc.
    Every other tour except Canadian gets outside skaters (though Can tour did have Javi a year or so ago). Japan gets variety, China now and then the random country they do every year now, one year Brazil and another Poland.

It’s frustrating.

Rinkside

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    The American organizers thinking US fans only want to see American skaters, which is ridiculous IMHO, I know many that would love to see D/R, Uno, C/L, V/M, J/C, Waka, etc.
    Every other tour except Canadian gets outside skaters (though Can tour did have Javi a year or so ago). Japan gets variety, China now and then the random country they do every year now, one year Brazil and another Poland.

It’s frustrating.
    I don't know why the tour organizers have it in their heads that people who are fans of this sport are not fans of athletes from other countries. It seems especially ridiculous with figure skating, but they do it with gymnastics too.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    I assume the big international stars would cost a lot more than most US "stars" so that's a major consideration.

The complete US SOI cast should be announced soon, and I presume the full Olympic team will be added. Any chance that Ross might be included as well?

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStefaniaNo View Post
    I don't know why the tour organizers have it in their heads that people who are fans of this sport are not fans of athletes from other countries. It seems especially ridiculous with figure skating, but they do it with gymnastics too.
    Exactly!! Back in the day, Katarina Witt was THE Star of the show when they came to town. In later years, Plushy was very popular and so were Elena Berezhnaya & Anton Sikharulidze. With skating being so popular in Japan and Canada, I would invite their skaters to any event or show I was involved in.

Spectator

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by medoroa View Post

I remember going to see stars on ice the first year that them and Sale and Peltier were on the tour together. And almost felt like there was an animosity towards B&S by some fans.

0 Not allowed!
    ^ Welcome Tigerlily87! Post often, post long.

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStefaniaNo View Post
    I feel like I’ve missed out on seeing a whole generation of skaters live. Yu-Na, Stephane Lambiel, Jeffrey Buttle, Carolina, D. Takahashi, Virtue and Moir, Yulia, Adelina.

1 Not allowed!
    One of the biggest draws for us re: SOI, was the opportunity to see the international skaters as well as the USA ones (and we've been attending the show since 1993).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3