When it’s time to move forward- Pro skating | Golden Skate

When it’s time to move forward- Pro skating

Eeyora

Final Flight
Can I just use this as an opportunity to chime in and say it really stinks that pro skating in the US is virtually dead. Both Wagner and Brown have clearly reached the point in which 20 years ago they could graduate from competitive skating. These skaters deserve more than a sixteen city tour and Dission Shows. I miss Champions on Ice, Ice Wars and World Pros.

Back in they the day skaters would talk about Part II of their career. I understand why pro skating in the US went dead- over saturation, rising ticket prices and overall lack of interest. I live in Boston and was lucky enough to attend Nationals 2014 and Worlds 2016. But I miss seeing my favorite skaters once a year in person. Michelle’s Spirals, Brian’s spread eagles, Surya’s Backflips.

Jayhawk

Spectator
I completely agree. I would be happy just seeing good pro skating on television. I don't thing the current scoring system does anything to increase the popularity of figure skating. The jumping bean skaters are boring to watch and most of them don't stick around long. By the time they become complete skaters with good artistry, they are usually injured or no longer have the technical content needed to win.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I completely agree. I would be happy just seeing good pro skating on television. I don't thing the current scoring system does anything to increase the popularity of figure skating. The jumping bean skaters are boring to watch and most of them don't stick around long. By the time they become complete skaters with good artistry, they are usually injured or no longer have the technical content needed to win.

I don't mind that the sport is moving on the terms of technical tricks.... but in a way I miss the days when 20 was not too old and when maturity coming from experience was valued.

I think pro-skating is good option for those who have the presence, but cannot handle the pressure of competitions or how it is done.

I loved Surya Bonaly in amateur competitions... but she seemed so much happier in pros. Plus... she could do as many backflips as she wanted... which was oh-so-exciting. And she was doing them until late 30s... and many many great skaters skated for quite long and still wowed the crowds. I love the pro performances of mature women who learned so much through years and had story to tell through their performances. Maybe not having to deal with the pressure of the current judging system can bring the best in everybody. They can do what they are good at, as opposed tricking to stack up points for the score.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not even Disson shows. Those are no more.

medoroa

On the Ice
I find US pro skating a fascinating topic... I assume world pros is no longer a thing because of dwindling TV ratings meaning they couldn't secure sponsors? But I always wondered if maybe it didn't help that people like Boitano were vocally critical of ISU and ISU judges once they retired and went pro. I think at one of the pro worlds the judging panel was half ISU judges (instead of being 100% retired skaters), and Boitano refused to participate. And Cinquanta saying things like the difference between pro and amateur skaters being "pro skaters are those who refuse to work with ISU".

I'd love to read long-form journalism about US pro skating/ice shows and their decline, but I guess there isn't enough of an audience (what little I've read about it has been from Japanese sources).

Jayhawk

Spectator
According to Scott Hamilton, the Tonya and Nancy Saga killed Pro competitions.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=swpcf2gmgIw

Scott Hamilton's take on the business aspects of pro skating is very interesting. During those years, CBS lost their NFL contract & they filled the time with figure skating.

Some skaters were much better as professionals than they were as amateurs. Josée Chouinard comes to mind. It was as if all her anxiety went away without the pressure. I still watch her programs on youtube. Yuka Sato is another example. Although she won a world championship, she was at her best as a professional.

medoroa

On the Ice
According to Scott Hamilton, the Tonya and Nancy Saga killed Pro competitions.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=swpcf2gmgIw

I find his analysis very interesting but I suppose the point is it led to the over-saturation Eeyora mentions, AND the hubris of charging so much for (let's be real here) not always well-produced shows or pro competitions. I like watching US competitions and shows from the late 90s and early 00s, but I'm usually struck by how corny and silly a lot of it is. Maybe that fit the mainstream tastes at the time, though? It had an air of pro wrestling. Nothing wrong with pro wrestling, but I don't think in the long run that's what skating fans tune in for. I might be wrong.

noskates

Record Breaker
Skating fans, IMO, tune in to be entertained. There are quite a few skaters that would make exceptionally awesome pro performers. Sean Rabbitt comes to mind as someone who will never medal nationally but has such a love for skating and enjoys entertaining so much that I can only imagine what a pro program would look like where he didn't have to do weird spins to get maximum points or worry about his jump layouts. I think the sport has lost a lot in the quad era where a skater has to worry more about his or her technical content than laying down a pleasing performance. Sad.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Skating fans, IMO, tune in to be entertained. There are quite a few skaters that would make exceptionally awesome pro performers. Sean Rabbitt comes to mind as someone who will never medal nationally but has such a love for skating and enjoys entertaining so much that I can only imagine what a pro program would look like where he didn't have to do weird spins to get maximum points or worry about his jump layouts. I think the sport has lost a lot in the quad era where a skater has to worry more about his or her technical content than laying down a pleasing performance. Sad.

I agree. Alexander Johnson is another that would be amazing pro/show skater, because he’s very entertaining and can move well.

mintx

On the Ice
To be fair, a number of articles have been written lately about pro skaters on cruise ships and on European tours. Charlie and Meryl have also done well on the international pro circuit. They have wisely developed their comentating, spokes person skills so they can reduce their travel somewhat.

Weathergal

Medalist
I agree. Alexander Johnson is another that would be amazing pro/show skater, because he’s very entertaining and can move well.

I would add Jason Brown to that, of course (although I realize he is a medalist) and also Elladj Balde. In fact, I think Elladj has already done a lot of shows in Russia even while still competing.

livetoskate

On the Ice
I would add Jason Brown to that, of course (although I realize he is a medalist) and also Elladj Balde. In fact, I think Elladj has already done a lot of shows in Russia even while still competing.

I would also add Jimmy Ma. He's very interesting, creative, and has programs that the younger generation can get excited about. I sure wish there were more skating shows and pro competitions on TV like the heydays of the late 1990s. If Michelle would come back on the scene, she could generate a lot of interest and sponsors.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
To be fair, a number of articles have been written lately about pro skaters on cruise ships and on European tours. Charlie and Meryl have also done well on the international pro circuit. They have wisely developed their comentating, spokes person skills so they can reduce their travel somewhat.

Commentary actually increases their travel, not reduces. And for what it’s worth Charlie mostly does the commentary b/t the two of them, Meryl’s mostly only backstage interviews/ event wrap-ups at Nationals.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Johnny Weir commentated that he would watch Alexander skate even without music!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Johnny Weir commentated that he would watch Alexander skate even without music!

That’s great and all but I personally take Johnny’s opinion with a grain of salt. 😏

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Part of the challenge is that skating now no longer has the pro events or skating shows - or at least a lot of them. Even the money for Grand Prix is gone or reduced. A lot of skaters try to stay "amateur" because that is how they make their money with a few SOI shows during non competitive periods. They keep their name in the news, make a few bucks for skating at competitions.

WGloria

Rinkside
In the US, just no production values brought to shows, unlike in Europe (Art on Ice) to keep truly creative skaters interested as well I would imagine. And one wonders whether the dependence on skating uber-fandom in Japan is even starting to flame out a touch as well. I've noticed some of the videos of crowds from shows looks a tad thinner than say a couple years ago.

medoroa

On the Ice
In the US, just no production values brought to shows, unlike in Europe (Art on Ice) to keep truly creative skaters interested as well I would imagine. And one wonders whether the dependence on skating uber-fandom in Japan is even starting to flame out a touch as well. I've noticed some of the videos of crowds from shows looks a tad thinner than say a couple years ago.

I think it is. Also because those ticket prices are way, way too high... they need to adjust that soon unless a new mega star who can sell a hundred 20.000 yen tickets in five minutes enters the pro ranks. But I think top skaters in Japan earn more money doing TV, which helps.