When it’s time to move forward- Pro skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

When it’s time to move forward- Pro skating

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the biggest draws for us re: SOI, was the opportunity to see the international skaters as well as the USA ones (and we've been attending the show since 1993).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI for Evora/Ladwig fans:

They are registered to compete at the U.S. Open on May 22 in Orlando. :cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg6w9UUjBAU/?taken-by=profsk8rsassoc (Mar 29)​

Pro competition held by Professional Skaters Association.

Open to the public with free admission.

(IN had/has video of the 2017 competition. Not streaming [AFAIK], but video after the fact.
I have no idea whether the same will be true for 2018.
PSA YouTube channel has [some] videos from 2016 and 2015.)

(In the absence of a U.S. Pairs thread, I could not think of a suitable place for this post other than here.)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Cirque du Soleil has a new ice based show: Crystal. They are trying to bring figure skating back to the show circuit, but of course being Cirque it has a lot of non-traditional elements.
https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/crystal

Interesting! I'd go to something like that at least once to check it out - and If I like it I'd go back again! If this takes off, it could potentially be another outlet for skaters after they retire. Top skaters (from the World over) may even draw in more fans.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Can I just use this as an opportunity to chime in and say it really stinks that pro skating in the US is virtually dead. Both Wagner and Brown have clearly reached the point in which 20 years ago they could graduate from competitive skating. These skaters deserve more than a sixteen city tour and Dission Shows. I miss Champions on Ice, Ice Wars and World Pros.

Back in they the day skaters would talk about Part II of their career. I understand why pro skating in the US went dead- over saturation, rising ticket prices and overall lack of interest. I live in Boston and was lucky enough to attend Nationals 2014 and Worlds 2016. But I miss seeing my favorite skaters once a year in person. Michelle’s Spirals, Brian’s spread eagles, Surya’s Backflips.

Except if by Brown you mean Jason, he doesn’t want to stop competing right now. He’s not continuing because there’s no pro circuit and he needs money or because he doesn’t know what else to do with his life. He’s continuing because he hasn’t met his goals in competitive skating.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
According to Scott Hamilton, the Tonya and Nancy Saga killed Pro competitions.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=swpcf2gmgIw

What really killed them in the US was THERE WAS NO GETTING AWAY FROM THEM. Every weekend, another one or maybe two. I was waiting for TEAM NORTH AMERICA VERSUS GODZILLA RODAN AND MOTHRA: A SKATING EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!!!! And it was the same programs week after week after week.

And yes, I think Scott Hamilton was on every single one.

Too much of a good thing can often be too much. Much too much. I honestly don't miss them that much.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I remember Scott also blaming Michelle Kwans decision not to go pro as a factor for disinterest.( Eye-roll) However when you think about it Six out of our seven ( if you count Davis and White as one) most recent Olympic Medalists have walked away from performing all together due to injuries and furthering education.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
If Adam is on "Dancing With the Stars" and does well, I could see ABC or a cable channel doing a skating special, perhaps with Maia/Alex, Ashley ... even Gracie if rumors are true that she is doing serious training again. Meryl/Charlie also possible, depending on if he has TV restrictions due to his NBC announcing.