2018 Canadian Nationals Junior Men - FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Junior Men - FS

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Matt's PCS for that skate was higher than Stephen's winning FS last year :biggrin:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Ok Bruce didn't have a good time in the FS. So now Matt is guaranteed a bronze at least. Corey is up.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ugh, I had a power outage just when Matt started skating! :furious: I just got electricity back, but I already missed Corey's LP. :cry:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Apart from the 2 falls that was not bad from Corey! He will be on the podium.

Though both Corey and Bruce looked gassed from competing on their 4th day. I don't like to say this but I think they will have to chose one discipline sooner rather than later.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow, I just saw the standings and Matt is in the lead! :yahoo:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Matt is turning 18 this Spring. His one and only chance to go to Junior Worlds is this year. Unfortunately for him Canada has only 2 spots and two strong junior skaters - Conrad Orzel and Joseph Phan. Had Matt put in this performance last season or even this summer he could have gotten a JGP spot at least. He's a bit too late I'm afraid.

ETA: Ontario didn't sweep the podium because somehow Zoe got great PCS for that performance. :unsure:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I still don't know how Zoe gets 61+ PCS for that FS while Corey gets only 58.92.

4everchan et al. were concerned about Stephen's PCS last year vs. Conrad's but this is even more of a problematic issue because that PCS meant Iliya lost the bronze by less than 1 point.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I actually shed tears of joy over Matt's victory because I had told a friend just after I returned home from the Quebec Summer Championships (where he won the bronze medal) that if his jumps were more consistent, he'd be the next national junior champion. AND IT HAPPENED!!! :hap57:

When I met him again at the Challenge, I gave him a small gift and told him that it was a good luck charm for the Canadian Championships, and I like to think that it worked perfectly! :biggrin:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So both Zoé and Matthew are aging out of juniors internationally this season. As is Samuel Turcotte. Let's see how they stack up next season against the senior men who will be continuing post-PyeongChang.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I actually shed tears of joy over Matt's victory because I had told a friend just after I returned home from the Quebec Summer Championships (where he won the bronze medal) that if his jumps were more consistent, he'd be the next national junior champion. AND IT HAPPENED!!! :hap57:

When I met him again at the Challenge, I gave him a small gift and told him that it was a good luck charm for the Canadian Championships, and I like to think that it worked perfectly! :biggrin:

That is so sweet. I remember one time being at a competition and I was going no where and this coach gave me a lucky pen. I so much wanted to go to the provincials and when they announced my score I was just over the moon, shocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly this does not bode well for Canada's men. Really not very impressive.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Canada's top junior men are actually skating in senior at this competition. So I wouldn't get my knickers in knots over the future of Canadian junior men based on this podium. Best to congratulate these guys and look forward to their continued improvement.

nadster

Final Flight
Overakl thoughts on junior men with an inital look to the JGP so some seniors and novices will be mentioned. Obvious summer comps can change this

Next JGP season Orzel and Gogolev will get 2 slots off the top. I jfeel that Phan will go senior internationally next year.

This is assuming Phan has a great natiionals and JW. Winning JW is not out of the question he skates his best.

It will be interesting if Phan manages to get us 14 slots next year.

Love to see Circelli concentrate on singles and Waddell concentrate on dance.

That said, I can see jgp slots going to Kovler, Circelli and the too 2 novice men

Oops I forgort Beres-Clements. Get well soon.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
While I think Bruce Waddle has improved a lot, he still needs to choose between singles and dance. I also think he deserves better PCS, as his SS are brilliant.

Heisenberg

Rinkside
Overakl thoughts on junior men with an inital look to the JGP so some seniors and novices will be mentioned. Obvious summer comps can change this

Next JGP season Orzel and Gogolev will get 2 slots off the top. I jfeel that Phan will go senior internationally next year.

This is assuming Phan has a great natiionals and JW. Winning JW is not out of the question he skates his best.

It will be interesting if Phan manages to get us 14 slots next year.

Love to see Circelli concentrate on singles and Waddell concentrate on dance.

That said, I can see jgp slots going to Kovler, Circelli and the too 2 novice men

Oops I forgort Beres-Clements. Get well soon.

I agree with your thoughts, but skaters such as Jack Dushenski and Samuel Turcotte deserve consideration as well, as they have triple axel and quad potential. Ilya Kovler should also be put into that conversation. Although all 3 didn’t make the podium at this competition and expected to, they did put up 3 of the highest junior scores in the country this past season at other competitions (Dushenski at the Ontario Provincials and Sam and Ilya at Challenge).

ChiquitaBanana

Rinkside
Matt is turning 18 this Spring. His one and only chance to go to Junior Worlds is this year. Unfortunately for him Canada has only 2 spots and two strong junior skaters - Conrad Orzel and Joseph Phan. Had Matt put in this performance last season or even this summer he could have gotten a JGP spot at least. He's a bit too late I'm afraid.

ETA: Ontario didn't sweep the podium because somehow Zoe got great PCS for that performance. :unsure:

Juniors are U-19, so that means he could go to JGPs and JW nest year too.

That is said, I was mesmerized by Matt's LP. What a gorgeous skate even though is technical content was not the highest planned. Candy skating!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Juniors are U-19, so that means he could go to JGPs and JW nest year too.

That is said, I was mesmerized by Matt's LP. What a gorgeous skate even though is technical content was not the highest planned. Candy skating!

Ah you're right! I don't know why I thought 18 was the cut off. It's Zoe who will age out..his birthday is March 18, 1999.

Though I begin to wonder - who's going to get the 3A next? If Corey manages to do it he would be given greater consideration.

Ideally these guys start working on quads too because as we see the competitive landscape for junior men involves both 3A and quads.

nadster

Final Flight
The next gen standards are 195 for that those with 2 or fewer jgp years left and 166 for the younger skaters who competed junior this year.

No minimum scores for novices moving up but they must have a triple triole combo or at least 2A triole

None of the oldef junior men who competed as junior men at nationals
have met the 195 standard using the same competition for both parts.

Has any of these men achieved the standard by combining their best short and long programs even if from 2 separate competitions?
Hopefully skaters can mix and match their best scores from different competitions to meet the standard,

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The next gen standards are 195 for that those with 2 or fewer jgp years left and 166 for the younger skaters who competed junior this year.

No minimum scores for novices moving up but they must have a triple triole combo or at least 2A triole

None of the oldef junior men who competed as junior men at nationals
have met the 195 standard using the same competition for both parts.

Has any of these men achieved the standard by combining their best short and long programs even if from 2 separate competitions?
Hopefully skaters can mix and match their best scores from different competitions to meet the standard,

I think that 195 standard will be revised. It may have been set as a result of the 2016-17 season junior results. As we know, that was one anomalous year. They will likely end up lowering those numbers.