Best ways to build strength/flexibility? | Golden Skate

Best ways to build strength/flexibility?

Ange

Rinkside
I have just started ice skating as an adult beginner. I am wondering what others do off the ice to build the specific strength needed for figure skating? Group fitness type activities would be ideal due to budget. Having said that, I would like to know the most effective ways to build strength and flexibility. How many times per week should I be working on strength if I am just starting out? Thank you in advance!

Mussique

On the Ice
Tons of jumping rope and planks. Leg stretches (look for ballet or yoga workouts), try also hip openers and back flexibility if you're a girl (it's useful once you get started on spins and spirals).
I'm also an adult beginner and I've been stretching about half an hour daily since I started. I haven't been stretching this Holidays mostly because I injured myself, but I plan to start again asap.
For strength training I do mostly jumping rope (be sure to ask your coach so you can train the right jumping position beforehand) and some biking/running, but I'm not the best here. For a beginner you're not going to be needing that much. Look for exercises to build up rotation...and then despair (LOL). I can rotate an axel off ice right now but I only know how to do waltz, sal and toe, and they're awful so there's no talk of going up jumps right now, LOL. Core strength (planks and that kind of stuff) will help you with spins and jumping position, but, again, I'm not the best here.
Btw both these activities are super cheap and don't require special equipment :p
If you're looking for group activities I'd guess ballet or modern dance could be helpful, as well as those core/legs workouts convos that there are in many gyms.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Pilates, TRX, yoga, spin class(bike), barre.

kathrynskates

Rinkside
I usually warm up before stretching by running+exercises that strengthen my core and arms. Setting realistic goals for flexibility is good such as achieving the splits by the end of the year and keeping track of your progress by monthly photos. The last part is uplifting whenever you feel like you're lacking. There's not a specific regimen you can follow really, everybody's bodies are different so take what I have lightly.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I try to stretch for 15-20 minutes a day. There are a lot of good youtube videos- look up how to do splits, etc. I am also a runner and do a track workout once a week with my running club- the fast intervals really help for endurance with skating.

Ange

Rinkside
Thank you everyone for these ideas! I hadn't even thought of something as simple as a jumping rope! So I've bought that and I'm also going to join a gym for fitness classes, as pilates seems the way to go.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you everyone for these ideas! I hadn't even thought of something as simple as a jumping rope! So I've bought that and I'm also going to join a gym for fitness classes, as pilates seems the way to go.
Pilates is the best. Also band resistance training and Yoga is used for core strength, control and flexibility, to a degree.

Good luck! :biggrin:

herpawearo

Spectator
Pilates gives me strength, and swimming gives me flexibility. Yoga calms me down and gives me a feeling of incredible comfort. If I want to get rid of stress and fatigue, then yoga is the best medicine for this. But I also have bad days when I feel constantly tired and sleepy. I still don't know the cause of these conditions, but I do know that it prevents me from working and training. Thus, I recently found this article https://steroidcycle.org/and learned that a course of steroids can help solve my fatigue problem and improve my physical performance. If someone has had such an experience, please share your feedback.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I’m looking into “the barre method” for my girls since our usual ballet class time doesn’t work for us right now. Does anyone have feedback on wether it’s a suitable alternative?

Also, I’ve heard swimming isn’t good for skaters because it loosen up the body too much? Or maybe that was hot tubs? I’ve read mixed comments about it. But maybe regular swimming workouts are different?

mystery905

Rinkside
I’m looking into “the barre method” for my girls since our usual ballet class time doesn’t work for us right now. Does anyone have feedback on wether it’s a suitable alternative?

Also, I’ve heard swimming isn’t good for skaters because it loosen up the body too much? Or maybe that was hot tubs? I’ve read mixed comments about it. But maybe regular swimming workouts are different?

I took barre classes at my club, and I lost a lot of weight. I believe it has improved my skating in terms of balance, flexibility, and strength/core.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

As long as you dont swim before training or competing then it's fine.
I often go in a hot tub after a really hard training day, and I find it helps prevent muscle pain. Of course if I did that before skating I may have issues, but after a skating session is no problem

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As kolyadafan says, swimming is ok. :agree: