Celebrating Asian American Skaters | Golden Skate

Celebrating Asian American Skaters

arewhyaen

On the Ice
These last few decades, Asian-American skaters have dominated singles skating. From Tiffany Chin, to Kristi Yamaguchi, to Michelle Kwan, they all began a legacy that continues to today. With Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou, Mirai Nagasu, and Karen Chen named to the Olympic Team, this is the first time USFSA has named more than one Asian-American singles skater to the Olympic Team. While their naming to the team was 100% due to their talents and accomplishments, I think it's important to take a step back and realize the importance of this moment.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
These last few decades, Asian-American skaters have dominated singles skating. From Tiffany Chin, to Kristi Yamaguchi, to Michelle Kwan, they all began a legacy that continues to today. With Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou, Mirai Nagasu, and Karen Chen named to the Olympic Team, this is the first time USFSA has named more than one Asian-American singles skater to the Olympic Team. While their naming to the team was 100% due to their talents and accomplishments, I think it's important to take a step back and realize the importance of this moment.

I have one thing to say about this: "Who cares?"
But maybe that's because i'm not american.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ It's a big deal. All those skaters above likely started skating because of Asian American skaters like Kristi and Michelle. Now these skaters have paved the way for even more Asian American skaters.

Also if you add the Shibs and Madison Chock (who is part Hawaiian and Chinese), half the team is Asian American. That's never happened before.

Last edited:

acapenci

On the Ice
Asian americans dont get much representation in the US media, but this proves that they can thrive in sports.

brightphoton

Medalist
US figure skating has somewhat of an uneasy history with Asian-Americans, despite some prominent skaters being Asian-American.

Michelle Kwan had that "American beats Kwan" headline at Nagano
Kristi had much fewer endorsements than her counterparts. I remember at the time, Kristi had to emphasize in interviews that she was American, come on now, really
Then the Mirai Sochi decision had a bad racist optics to it. Not saying it was racist, but it looked bad.

Hopefully moving forward, Asian Americans figure skaters will be better represented and be treated better. I'm really excited for this US team

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have one thing to say about this: "Who cares?"
But maybe that's because i'm not american.

Well, I am an American, and I also say, "Who cares?"

I'm proud of them, and I would be just as proud if they were black, white, Latino, or polka-dot.

And, for the record, my wife is of Japanese heritage, and so of course is my son (on her half of the gene pool).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I'm proud of them, and I would be just as proud if they were black, white, Latino, or polka-dot.

And, for the record, my wife is of Japanese heritage, and so of course is my son (on her half of the gene pool).

For me, as a Vietnamese-American woman, seeing a Asian American person be amazing at some, especially something not academic, was inspiring to me. Same with Michelle Kwan. I think often times as AAPI, we are kind of in the shadows and we stay quiet and are expected to stay there. So when AAPI are in the spotlight, it's really a big deal.

I think Michelle, Kristi, et al inspired a ton of skaters who were at U.S. Nationals this week. All but two of the junior ladies were Asian-American. And a lot of the up-and-coming men are also Asian American, like Dinh Tran.

I think it's hard to comprehend if you're not Asian American.

brightphoton

Medalist

Your should care because it's good for your son to have role models that look like him, or half like him. Something is mentally pleasing when possible OGM (no jinx) Nathan Chen is someone who looks like you.

Kristi was inspired by Tiffany, Michelle by Kristi, Karen by Michelle, etc.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
For me, as a Vietnamese-American woman, seeing a Asian American person be amazing at some, especially something not academic, was inspiring to me. Same with Michelle Kwan. I think often times as AAPI, we are kind of in the shadows and we stay quiet and are expected to stay there. So when AAPI are in the spotlight, it's really a big deal.

I think Michelle, Kristi, et al inspired a ton of skaters who were at U.S. Nationals this week. All but two of the junior ladies were Asian-American. And a lot of the up-and-coming men are also Asian American, like Dinh Tran.

I think it's hard to comprehend if you're not Asian American.

Agreed! Representation really does matter. As an Asian-American, we rarely have the spotlight in Hollywood, politics, or sports. And this really is a big deal. The most lucrative winter olympic sport is comprised of mostly Asian-American athletes. I could only imagine how this will inspire the younger generation.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Agreed! Representation really does matter. As an Asian-American, we rarely have the spotlight in Hollywood, politics, or sports. And this really is a big deal. The most lucrative winter olympic sport is comprised of mostly Asian-American athletes. I could only imagine how this will inspire the younger generation.

There's also Chloe Kim in snowboarding as well! AAPI are going to have strong representation at this Olympics, which is exciting. But I hope the press will avoid saying something like "American beats Kwan" this time around.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
There's also Chloe Kim in snowboarding as well! AAPI are going to have strong representation at this Olympics, which is exciting. But I hope the press will avoid saying something like "American beats Kwan" this time around.

wow, USA has problems... now more than ever :(

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Your should care because it's good for your son to have role models that look like him, or half like him. Something is mentally pleasing when possible OGM (no jinx) Nathan Chen is someone who looks like you.

Kristi was inspired by Tiffany, Michelle by Kristi, Karen by Michelle, etc.

I think I've raised my son in such a way that his role models have nothing to do with who looks like him, and everything to do with who has a character worth emulating.

I don't vouch for the character of any of these skaters. I don't know them. Although I will say that their work ethic is admirable (or they wouldn't be where they are in such a demanding sport), and that leads me to believe the best of them. But sports figures as role models? Not generally.

I accept public figures with no personal connection or relationship at face value, but no more. I'm grateful for the work they put in to make my favorite sport more enjoyable, and I wish them success. That doesn't mean I'd loan my truck to any of them.

brightphoton

Medalist
:confused: thats New Zeeland and Polynesia...

it's not really the same culture but it's how races are lumped together in the US. Oceania is small population-wise and they had to go somewhere

Hey don't look at me, I'm not the one in charge of that :D

brightphoton

Medalist
That doesn't mean I'd loan my truck to any of them.

Oh, definitely not a Prius to Michelle

But I hope you change your mind. I think as your son grows up, he'll like it very much to see fellow Asian Americans who are prominent in society

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
it's not really the same culture but it's how races are lumped together in the US. Oceania is small population-wise and they had to go somewhere

Hey don't look at me, I'm not the one in charge of that :D

And they better not try to jump out of the bucket we've put them in, either.

Their collective cultures or individual characters have no bearing on the box we make them check on the census forms.

I'll try not to go on a rant, but this kind of thing is one of the reasons my family refuses to fill in questions about race on the census.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don’t forget my girl Hailey!!!

https://youtu.be/cMne6czW9C8

#YungHails

*She still isn’t officially qualified but my hopes are high she’ll make it official this weekend in Aspen :pray:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, definitely not a Prius to Michelle

But I hope you change your mind. I think as your son grows up, he'll like it very much to see fellow Asian Americans who are prominent in society

My son is 21. He's turned out fine.