Alysa Liu | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Yes she is having great fun and she should but when will the pressure start to kick in? I think she has a chance well let's take it one step at a time. I think Alysa has a chance to be a fantastic Junior next season and then go from there. But because she's an American Star she will get tons of media and exposure and I hope she can handle of all of the attention.

On a side note it's absolutely bizarre that she won senior Nationals at 13 but couldn't even skate on the junior circuit. Seeing Alysa Liu skate against 3A this past season would have made the juniors the most memorable Junior season ever. But it didn't happen. We will have to wait for that.

Will Alysa need her full arsenal of triple axles and quads for juniors? My guess is no. Since she's going to be in juniors for a couple seasons why should she do the maximum amount of triple axles and quads per program when she probably won't need the maximum to win?

I think Liu vs. Valieva is going to be interesting enough this season (plus some other that are bound to be factors). She doesn't necessarily need to be doing the maximum number of quads, but to win she's probably going to have to do at least the difficulty she's doing now or a little more. I hope the pressure of everyone having so many expectations for her doesn't get to her... imagine being deemed the savior of US ladies figure skating before you've even stepped on the JGP - that must be nerve-wracking, and its not like she'll have easy competition next year. I just hope she continues to skate for herself because she loves it and loves competing, and she doesn't start to feel like it is her duty.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think Liu vs. Valieva is going to be interesting enough this season (plus some other that are bound to be factors). She doesn't necessarily need to be doing the maximum number of quads, but to win she's probably going to have to do at least the difficulty she's doing now or a little more. I hope the pressure of everyone having so many expectations for her doesn't get to her... imagine being deemed the savior of US ladies figure skating before you've even stepped on the JGP - that must be nerve-wracking, and its not like she'll have easy competition next year. I just hope she continues to skate for herself because she loves it and loves competing, and she doesn't start to feel like it is her duty.

Good point the competition will still be tough because of the Russian girls. Valieva for sure and who knows what Kanysheva will do now that she's with Eteri. The worrisome thing for Alysa is that she's the main hope for the American girls going forward so the pressure will be there. But if Alysa continues to handle things as she has for the last year or so she will be fine.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Good point the competition will still be tough because of the Russian girls. Valieva for sure and who knows what Kanysheva will do now that she's with Eteri. The worrisome thing for Alysa is that she's the main hope for the American girls going forward so the pressure will be there. But if Alysa continues to handle things as she has for the last year or so she will be fine.

Yeah, and she sure handled that huge crowd and those huge expectations well at nationals, even when she'd never been at that big of a competition before. Especially in the free program after getting that huge standing ovation in the short, I don't know how she held herself together!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yeah, and she sure handled that huge crowd and those huge expectations well at nationals, even when she'd never been at that big of a competition before. Especially in the free program after getting that huge standing ovation in the short, I don't know how she held herself together!

Let's be honest Alysa Liu has it the it factor. She'll probably be skating in several events in her debut Junior season. Hoping all goes well. It should.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Any word on her programs this upcoming season?

Not yet. Hope her programs are good. With her huge talent how could they not be good or better?

Alysa will be so excited to be on the junior circuit. :) She needs to compete in competitions next season. It will be fascinating to see her perform.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Not yet. Hope her programs are good. With her huge talent how could they not be good or better?

Alysa will be so excited to be on the junior circuit. :) She needs to compete in competitions next season. It will be fascinating to see her perform.

One thing that's interesting to me is that her jumps are the least of the things I'm impressed with. She is a natural dancer and extremely musical, and her spins are exceptional too. Besides her speed, I think the only other thing she needs to work on is her jump quality. She's getting help from many different coaches so I'm sure that will come with time.

Scott512

Record Breaker
One thing that's interesting to me is that her jumps are the least of the things I'm impressed with. She is a natural dancer and extremely musical, and her spins are exceptional too. Besides her speed, I think the only other thing she needs to work on is her jump quality. She's getting help from many different coaches so I'm sure that will come with time.

Yes her combination of incredible jumps and a high technical score with her musicality and dancing which natural could make her an incredible figure skater. Only time will tell what mother nature does to her with puberty in the next 2 years 3 years. Even if she ends up growing to 5 ft tall or so which may not happen but if she does because of her natural ability to move and dance her figure skating quality should stay wonderful.

Scott512

Record Breaker

She did that 4L without much momentum and from almost a standstill position and still had such great speed to her incredible rotation. She made it look so easy too. Alysa may end up doing the most difficult moves in figure skating and make them look easy. And from what I've seen of her skating so far she has excellent skating skills and is a beautiful skater to go along with her package of triple axles and quads. Amazing.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
She did that 4L without much momentum and from almost a standstill position and still had such great speed to her incredible rotation. She made it look so easy too. Alysa may end up doing the most difficult moves in figure skating and make them look easy. And from what I've seen of her skating so far she has excellent skating skills and is a beautiful skater to go along with her package of triple axles and quads. Amazing.
You are joking, right?
Alysa landing these jumps, bravo but they are not pretty. I am sorry. Trusova ja Shcherbakova 4Lz>>>>>Liu

Scott512

Record Breaker
You are joking, right?
Alysa landing these jumps, bravo but they are not pretty. I am sorry. Trusova ja Shcherbakova 4Lz>>>>>Liu

TBD in the years to come.

Did you watch US Nationls? Liu was special.

Sasha and Anna got to skate all last season to develop their skills. Alysa was handcuffed with just US Nationals. Then her momentum.was stopped.

Alysa is only 13 . Time is on her side.