Alysa Liu | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu

Scott512

Record Breaker
Except the diehard Russian fans.

I'm a big fan of the Russian ladies and like Alysa as well. I hope she keeps her warm lovely charm as the years go by.

- - - Updated - - -

Certainly!
Sorry, in English the right word was Boeotian. I mean, I am quite ignorant in figure skating.
No better place to learn about figure skating than here. trust me there are very few figure skating experts here most of us are fans like you and I.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa is such a special skater--so much joy in her skating along with her technical prowess. I can't wait to see her at Nationals.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Anyone know why Alysa won't be at Youth Olympics? US are sending Hanna Harrell and Audrey Shin.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Anyone know why Alysa won't be at Youth Olympics? US are sending Hanna Harrell and Audrey Shin.

Too close to US Nationals, and lots of time zones to traverse. So better not risk her chances ...

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I think that's a pity. If she and her team are prioritising Nationals before Youth Olympics I think they are making a mistake. Youth Olympics is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and Alysa is lucky to be born when it could happen.

Nationals are of course important, but Alysa is not senior ready for this or next season so there really is nothing there to compete for...besides the glory of course:)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Her level is perhaps too high for that as defending US National champion.

Competing at Olympics is not high enough?:scratch2:

Russia has always sent their best juniors.

2016: Polina Tsurskaya (1), Maria Sotskova (2)
2012: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (1), Adelina Sotnikova (2)

Scott512

Record Breaker
Competing at Olympics is not high enough?:scratch2:

Russia has always sent their best juniors.

2016: Polina Tsurskaya (1), Maria Sotskova (2)
2012: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (1), Adelina Sotnikova (2)
It's not the Olympics. Liza never made an Olympic team and it's a sore spot with her.

The youth Olympics are fine but it's not the equivalent of US Nationals or Russian Nationals. Alysa I would rather compete at her Nationals where she has a great chance to win again and up her stock even more.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Many NOC's don't take YOG seriously because it is dominated by Russian sports school athletes. Few other nations have children in state sponsored high level sports schools.

Alysa herself would probably have liked and been able to compete in both, if only for YOG experience and a fair medal chance. But the USA National Championships are more important for her and her federation. Esp now domestic interest in 'ladies' is dwindling and USGFS needs a boost.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Why is no one posting in this thread? Alysa is arguably the most charming girl to come along in years in figure skating.

Congrats to her ongoing back-to-back US national champion. She would be a threat to medal at worlds but of course won't be there.

Whatever happens in her future is up to her and a little bit of good fortune. I only hope Alysa stays healthy and can bring her A game in the big moments.

Mapuan

Rinkside
Why is no one posting in this thread? Alysa is arguably the most charming girl to come along in years in figure skating.

Congrats to her ongoing back-to-back US national champion. She would be a threat to medal at worlds but of course won't be there.

Whatever happens in her future is up to her and a little bit of good fortune. I only hope Alysa stays healthy and can bring her A game in the big moments.

She really is super charming.

I like the fact that judges are calling her UR in her quad lutz.

There is a noticeable improvement on her movements and even her jump preparation. She's a tad faster but still needs to further improve.

I love her spins. Super fast but not drifting unlike other girls.

kallirroe

On the Ice
What i like about Alysa all this season that i have been watching her is that she is really authentic. She seems to be always satisfied with her perfomances even when she falls. She depicts her age really good. Shes is 14 after all. Although i would like to see her in other programmas, maybe more classical/lyrical or even more modern ( i dont really like programms in songs with lyrics ) , her presentation on the ice captures you , cauz she says something in her own way. A lot of room to develop for sure, but slowly slowly! She has time till Olympics :luv17:

Scott512

Record Breaker
She really is super charming.

I like the fact that judges are calling her UR in her quad lutz.

There is a noticeable improvement on her movements and even her jump preparation. She's a tad faster but still needs to further improve.

I love her spins. Super fast but not drifting unlike other girls.

So true. She is super in many ways. Yes Alysa has improving to do but she really is right on target for Beijing 2 years from now. She's already much better than she was 7 weeks ago at the Junior Grand Prix final. And growing three or four in in the last year has not hurt her at all which is unbelievable.

The reality is Alysa Liu is the biggest threat to the Russians on the junior and senior levels and will be for years to come. Why? Because she pulls off the triple axel and quad with ease. Everything is really coming together for this girl. And like Ànna Scherbakova and Alina Zagitova she always says and does the right thing which makes her extremely likeable.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Haven't had a chance to post here because I've been too busy defending her in the other thread.

Congratulations to Alysa for a very strong win at Nationals. That performance was wonderful. Seen it 7 times already!

She's charming and full of sparkle but her spins really do it for me! I love her spins. She's fast, her positions are really nice and she doesn't look like a limp fish!

I also thought her interpretation was spot on. It was full of joy and had an air of magic (as it should be with her music choice) but no cheesey forced smiles.

I also got the impression that she was a lot more nervous this year (which I think is a good acid test for her) but she handled it so well. She's such a tough little thing and I actually think tricky pressure situations will test her in a good way as they won't break her but she'll learn from them.

Mapuan

Rinkside
Haven't had a chance to post here because I've been too busy defending her in the other thread.

Congratulations to Alysa for a very strong win at Nationals. That performance was wonderful. Seen it 7 times already!

She's charming and full of sparkle but her spins really do it for me! I love her spins. She's fast, her positions are really nice and she doesn't look like a limp fish!

I also thought her interpretation was spot on. It was full of joy and had an air of magic (as it should be with her music choice) but no cheesey forced smiles.

I also got the impression that she was a lot more nervous this year (which I think is a good acid test for her) but she handled it so well. She's such a tough little thing and I actually think tricky pressure situations will test her in a good way as they won't break her but she'll learn from them.

Which thread is that? I wanna join you!

Scott512

Record Breaker

What thread to you have to defend Alysa in? Russian Ladies? :eeking: I would hope she would be safe in the US Ladies thread.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Cannot wait to see Alysa perform at Junior Worlds! Crossing my fingers for a gold medal!
It has been over a month since Nationals so I am excited to see Alysa's improvement. Her 3A already looked so much better at Nationals, as well as the details in her choreography. Working with Lori and Carolina was defintely an amazing choice.

macy

Record Breaker
Cannot wait to see Alysa perform at Junior Worlds! Crossing my fingers for a gold medal!
It has been over a month since Nationals so I am excited to see Alysa's improvement. Her 3A already looked so much better at Nationals, as well as the details in her choreography. Working with Lori and Carolina was defintely an amazing choice.

yes, and i hope that partnership with Caro continues well into the future. as Alysa grows and matures and goes through her own life experiences, this will continue to be really beneficial for her and help her develop into a great artist.

Makemi

Rinkside
Somehow missed this, but there was an article about Alysa in IFS Magazine, posted on Feb. 25:
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/alysa-liu-sets-sights-on-world-junior-podium/

I love her outlook on the competition at JWC. She's definitely playing the long game. I also can't wait to see how much she's improved! Her planned content still shows the 3A-3T in the short. Two 3As and one 4Lz in the FS. I'll be interested to see if she keeps that or goes for something else.

Good luck Alysa!