Final thoughts? | Golden Skate

Final thoughts?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just got back from a harrowing flight from Portland to Spokane...and slept.
Despite many of my friends and I, as well as the some skaters, becoming ill, it was a good nats.
Thanks to all the GSers that came up to a sick old man and said hi...
While I slept 11 hours a day, I saw all the main comps. The Solar4 was quite a complex, with its own bar and grill with HEAT.
It was extreamely cold in there but there was one section with real seats, which was nice.
The main arena was cool for sure most of the time, but it still has a great pitch, lots of bathrooms, and if you looked, real food,or what
passes for it. The staff was friendly. The whole foods store next door saved my bacon.
I have never seen a nats where there wasnt SOME mention of the next nats. No Detroit table, no banners, no jumbotron plugs, no announcer plugs.
If I missed these please let me know....
I am still new to Uber but it worked perfectly to get around.
The homeless population has greatly picked up since we were there last. But the area was still very safe to walk after dark.
And what can be said about the skating? I am happy for Mirai, and sad for Ross that he got Nagasued. I hope Jasmine Fendi's hand heals 100 percent.
A big hug to Emily Chan....another victim of illness.
Nathan, you rock.
Stay well and best wishes to our athletes in the games.
Chris off to Oral surgury so I will be off the grid for awhile...

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Chris, we were extremely disappointed that there was no opportunity to learn about next year's Nats. We were hoping to buy our tickets and possibly get some good tips on hotels. Seemed odd that there was no info whatsoever. Checked at the USFSA desk, and she confirmed that there was no info available.

So sorry you were sick. Hope you were still able to eat a lot of bacon at the breakfast buffet!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What I heard from a friend at Nationals was that there had been complaints in Kansas City because fans were having to stand in line to purchase tickets for San Jose and because of that missing competitions. Because of the complaints, Detroit decided not to have a table in San Jose. Don't know how true this is, but I did hear it from 2 different people in attendance at San Jose.

I am undecided about Detroit, but expect to see some kind of email within the next couple of weeks.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I heard from a friend at Nationals was that there had been complaints in Kansas City because fans were having to stand in line to purchase tickets for San Jose and because of that missing competitions. Because of the complaints, Detroit decided not to have a table in San Jose. Don't know how true this is, but I did hear it from 2 different people in attendance at San Jose.

That is what they told us at the USFSA desk, which I found surprising. That wasn't our experience at all. Maybe we bought our tickets on Thursday or early Friday when there were fewer people. Oh well. We'll figure it out. And Detroit is less than an hour flight away, so I'm sure we'll do it. Somehow I can't imagine that the weather will be as nice as San Jose. :scratch3:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I am undecided about Detroit, but expect to see some kind of email within the next couple of weeks.

It seems like rather an odd explaination. If Detroit isnt ready to sell tickets yet, and I think that is the case, why not have a info table? Why not some plugs from Rusty Capp and other announcers???? and some Detroit area skaters? A few banners? Website coming soon! I think the decision was made that since they have only know a couple of months, they are just not ready yet for ticket/event promotion. Attendance will be interesting there. In San Jose, attendance for Ladies and men was pretty darned good. Not so good for other events but not terrible.....this in an oly year in a warm city.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
^^^Chris, we were extremely disappointed that there was no opportunity to learn about next year's Nats. We were hoping to buy our tickets and possibly get some good tips on hotels. Seemed odd that there was no info whatsoever. Checked at the USFSA desk, and she confirmed that there was no info available.

So sorry you were sick. Hope you were still able to eat a lot of bacon at the breakfast buffet!

Thank you. Cough cough. They only had bacon about 40.165 percent of the time. I would have my fill and go back to bed.....
Going on antibiotics tomarrow for oral surgury....Lots of bugs floating around the south Bay area and Spokane.....
(My pharmacist said today that while the H3N2 virus was in this year's flu shot, it mutated quickly and that is why the Aussies were hit hard, and now we are too.)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you. Cough cough. They only had bacon about 40.165 percent of the time. I would have my fill and go back to bed.....
Going on antibiotics tomarrow for oral surgury....Lots of bugs floating around the south Bay area and Spokane.....
(My pharmacist said today that while the H3N2 virus was in this year's flu shot, it mutated quickly and that is why the Aussies were hit hard, and now we are too.)

The flu is really bad in the Chicago area too...Rest up and feel better soon.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The flu is really bad in the Chicago area too...Rest up and feel better soon.

The antibiotics seems to be helping and I consider myself well now if it werent for a mouth full of sutures and graphs and packing and a retainer....
I wish the news would hammer home the need for killing "presenteeism" at work at for people to wear the appropriate type of masks......the Japanese seem so much more well mannered than we are....

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The antibiotics seems to be helping and I consider myself well now if it werent for a mouth full of sutures and graphs and packing and a retainer....
I wish the news would hammer home the need for killing "presenteeism" at work at for people to wear the appropriate type of masks......the Japanese seem so much more well mannered than we are....

That's good news Chris. Sounds like you're on the mend...I thought that was very smart of Hubbell and Donahue to wear masks while they were sitting at the autograph desk at Nats. It looked a little strange and probably wasn't too great for picture taking, but it was certainly a good idea! Hopefully it kept them healthy.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
They need to make it affordable for Detroit. There's going to most likely be a very big exit of big names as what normally happens after the olympics. they couldn't even fill the seats in an Olympic year, they need to really rethink their pricing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That's good news Chris. Sounds like you're on the mend...I thought that was very smart of Hubbell and Donahue to wear masks while they were sitting at the autograph desk at Nats. It looked a little strange and probably wasn't too great for picture taking, but it was certainly a good idea! Hopefully it kept them healthy.

They are smart. As many of you have just read, a healthy San Jose mom just died from complications due to the flu, although it is my belief that there were a number of respritory bugs going around in the South bay area. One of my California friends has been sick for three weeks now....
Having to work in biohazard environments with the state patrol, I had excellent training in masks. Those surgical masks do offer some protection for others from those that are sick and wearing the masks. To protect myself, I wear a 3M 8233 N100 mask or equivalant.
Stitches come out Thursday!

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
They are smart. As many of you have just read, a healthy San Jose mom just died from complications due to the flu, although it is my belief that there were a number of respritory bugs going around in the South bay area. One of my California friends has been sick for three weeks now....
Having to work in biohazard environments with the state patrol, I had excellent training in masks. Those surgical masks do offer some protection for others from those that are sick and wearing the masks. To protect myself, I wear a 3M 8233 N100 mask or equivalant.
Stitches come out Thursday!

Yes, everyone please get your flu shots and make sure to keep an eye out for anyone who's having flu like symptoms. Recently, there was a 21 year old male patient that passed away due to flu complications. He was a very healthy young man (fitness trainer) who unfortunately underestimated the dangers of influenza and was admitted into the hospital much too late. He passed away the day after due to organ failure. :(

Doesn't matter your age, gender, or physical fitness. The influenza can be VERY dangerous! Please take precautions!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SO many skaters were sick with that nasty bug going around the arena. it's a wonder we all didn't come back with the plague.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ I caught the crud. It could have been worse, but it definitely knocked me down for a few days.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ā›øļø
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I got it (a virus) while there and am finally getting rid of it after being on medications for almost a week now, but still have the lingering cough.

shiroKJ...I was reading where the flu this year is a strain that isn't in the current shots.

Either way, I wish I could get the shots but can't because of allergies.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was getting over a sinus infection in San Jose and still have some lingering congestion. Doesn't help when the weather is 55 degrees one day then below freezing a few days later.

Hope everyone is feeling better soon and glad Coyote Chris' surgery went well!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^ I caught the crud. It could have been worse, but it definitely knocked me down for a few days.

No fun! I went down with the crud so by the time I was in the arena I was on the way back to health so I guess I got lucky that way.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I got it (a virus) while there and am finally getting rid of it after being on medications for almost a week now, but still have the lingering cough.

shiroKJ...I was reading where the flu this year is a strain that isn't in the current shots.

Either way, I wish I could get the shots but can't because of allergies.

I like my pharmacist's explaination the best. Yes, the H3N2 strain was in the shot...but the lag time to make the vaccine, innoculate people, etc is so great that H3N2 had pleanty of time to mutate as it is famous for doing before it hit.
On the other hand, the "mutant protein" theory is very elegant. And probably more to the truth.
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-flu-season-h3n2-story.html

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Finally got all of my photos from January 3 up in my gallery. *facepalm* I did well, imo, to edit it down to a more manageable number, but still...

I still haven't actually sat down to really think about everything and put it in words. I had an amazing time thanks to friends old and new!