Global Language of Inspiration III | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Global Language of Inspiration III

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Always believe in the possibility of miracles!!

The legend of Ester Ledecka will be one not soon forgotten.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/even-announcers-are-shocked-ester-ledeckas-victory

You know, on Eurosport's coverage of her first race in this season's Alpine Ski World Cup, Matt Chilton took a bit of pleasure in pointing out that the American broadcastesr had already left to show something else at the time that Ester did her winning run.

That is what I hate about broadcasters leaving once all the "big names" have completed their runs. Because you never know who of the later starters might cause a surprise.

But, Ester wasn't even a late starter. She had bib 26. Like, normally broadcasters that don't show Alpine Skiing competitions in their entirity don't leave until after bib 30 at the earliest. And the starting intervals are even planned with this in mind.

For those that were following the Women's Alpine Skiing all season, I don't think Ester doing well was much of a surprise. She had been steadily improving as the season went on. Although nobody expected her to win, a Top 10 or even a Top 5 finish was definitely a realistic possibility. So, I can't understand why the broadcasters hadn't planned to stay for her.

Apart from anything else, the story about her competing in both Alpine Skiing and Alpine Snowboarding would surely have been enough for them to stay on. I don't know what it was like in America, but on Eurosport they had been going on about it the whole season.

Yet another case of a broadcaster having too much to show, and not enough channels to show it all on. :rolleye:

Just as a footnote, it is so unfortunate that the Alpine Ski World Championships and the Snowboard World Championships clash this season. And that the FIS are unwilling to re-arrange the timetables so that Ester can compete in both Sweden and Utah (the Alpine Skiing World Championships are a 2 week event, and only the first week clashes with the Snowboarding).

Below are the races she would probably want to be doing:

Date
Race
Discipline
Downhill Training
Skiing
Åre, Sweden
Monday 4[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2019
Parallel Giant Slalom Race
Snowboard
Park City, Utah
Tuesday 5[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2019
Super Giant Slalom Race
Skiing
Åre, Sweden
Tuesday 5[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2019
Parallel Slalom Race
Snowboard
Park City, Utah
Wednesday 6[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2019
Downhill Training
Skiing
Åre, Sweden
Thursday 7[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2019
Downhill Training
SkiingÅre, Sweden
Saturday 9[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2019
Downhill Training
Skiing
Åre, Sweden
Sunday 10[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2019Downhill RaceSkiing
Åre, Sweden

So short sighted. The FIS had a chance to let her make even more history, and bring more publicity to the sports, and they are blocking it.

:disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Over on the Yuzuru thread we are celebrating his nomination for the international Laureus Sports Award in the category 'Comeback of the year' but I thought that all of the nominees deserved to be in this thread as well. In particular, I had never heard of Mark McMorris or Bibian Mentel-Spee but their stories are inspiring, what they came back from truly amazing. Yes, of course I would love and am hoping for Yuzu to win, but against this group of sporting heroes.... I will cheer whoever does.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaureusSport/status/1085890049697345536

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Women are crazy!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuRbLc_l5GK/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1c5l79w4u4e4d

I think if there is one thing that this thread has taught me it’s that Sky Brown is my most inspirational Insta follow :laugh:

Wow. That was a hard hitting piece.

Everybody knows that in the past women weren't allowed to take part in things that weren't "ladylike", but that video really brings home just how backward the attitudes were. And how recently it was still like that.

Well done to Nike for making it, and to Sky for sharing it. :bow: :clap: :points:

I know she was featured heavily towards the end, so that may be influencing my judgement. But was that Serena Williams narrating the piece? The voice definitely sounds familiar.

Still don't think it's a good thing for women to be boxing, though. For the simple reason that I don't think it is a good idea for anybody to be boxing. Far too dangerous, and to me it shouldn't even be called a "sport".

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
SO many happy faces!!! Gives one hope the world is heading in the right direction, making a healthy global community for all kids to grow up in, achieve their dreams, be the best they can be.. I ask for nothing else...