USFS Announces Three Withdrawals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

USFS Announces Three Withdrawals

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It absolutely was! I'm so glad I was there to witness it in person.

Likewise. I hope Ross takes comfort that he delivered an amazing skate, if it indeed going to be his last.

elysium8

Rinkside
There are still plenty of Americans, myself included, who have an oldschool response to "When your country calls..."

Ross and Ashley probably both felt the national organization “disrespected” them, so they don’t really feel obligated to them anymore (particularly with retirement around the corner). I guess their displeasure with the national organization could not be overcome by obligation to country...

And for Ross, there would be NO WAY he tops his FS at nationals. “Miracle Quad” was the description during the telecast. It was the skate of his life. Go out on top!!!!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ross and Ashley probably both felt the national organization “disrespected” them, so they don’t really feel obligated to them anymore (particularly with retirement around the corner). I guess their displeasure with the national organization could not be overcome by obligation to country...

And for Ross, there would be NO WAY he tops his FS at nationals. “Miracle Quad” was the description during the telecast. It was the skate of his life. Go out on top!!!!

Good for them. Burning all bridges is one way to show commitment to a new path.

If I were USFSA, I'd remove them from any alternate positions for Olympics and/or Worlds. Just to complete the circle.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Good for them. Burning all bridges is one way to show commitment to a new path.

If I were USFSA, I'd remove them from any alternate positions for Olympics and/or Worlds. Just to complete the circle.

Don't you think USFS essentially did that to Ross already by giving Jason 1st alternate over him?

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm not surprised at Ross. He skated the skate of his life - why take the chance of ruining it. This way he can still say/think that he should have been on the Olympic team and doesn't have to worry about a lesser skate at 4C.

Don't have a clue about Ashley.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't blame Ross for withdrawing. Why bother? He isn't likely to want to compete for much longer anyway. He should do show skating. He has always been a crowd-pleaser. I hope he gets some assignments--in Japan. As for Ashley, I don't blame her, either. She will get GP assignments next year if she wants them. She doesn't need 4CCs. I foresee her getting a gig as the Today Show correspondent for the Olympics.

beki

Medalist
I don’t see any great scandal in passing the opportunity on to Angela and Grant.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don’t see any great scandal in passing the opportunity on to Angela and Grant.

I don't either, but just think it would have been nice to see both of them compete. But I'll be happy to see Angela and Grant, I enjoyed both their skates at nationals.

lappo

Final Flight
I don't blame Ross for withdrawing. Why bother? He isn't likely to want to compete for much longer anyway. He should do show skating. He has always been a crowd-pleaser. I hope he gets some assignments--in Japan. As for Ashley, I don't blame her, either. She will get GP assignments next year if she wants them. She doesn't need 4CCs. I foresee her getting a gig as the Today Show correspondent for the Olympics.

Unfortunately no WTT this year, otherwise it would have been a nice gesture from the US Fed to send Ross to end his career there.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't you think USFS essentially did that to Ross already by giving Jason 1st alternate over him?

Actually, I do. For all the attention showered on the Ashley situation, Ross is the one who had, by far, the most legitimate beef. IMO.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I get that it must sting for Ashley to not be on the team, although she did that to herself in a lot of ways, but really? It kind of seems like she's being a sore loser; I get when she'd WD from 4CC to prepare for worlds (although others do both...) but she doesn't have to deal with worlds and the Olympics this year, so to turn down 4CC makes her seem like she's upset she didn't get something better. I don't see why she would have anyway though...

Fully ready to get flamed for this... :slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually, I do. For all the attention showered on the Ashley situation, Ross is the one who had, by far, the most legitimate beef. IMO.

But you still think he should have taken 4CC? Just trying to understand.

Kara

Final Flight
Understandable for all three and I'm quite happy with all three replacements.😎 Happy we get to see Emmy once more!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But you still think he should have taken 4CC? Just trying to understand.

Yes, I do. It's a major international assignment, even if does not have the prestige of the Olympics or Worlds. It's not the US Classic.

Ross has many longtime fans (including you) and many newly won fans (including me) who would have loved to see him accept the Fed's appointment and represent Team USA one more time.

It is possible to think USFSA screwed him, and also to think he should have proudly been a part of Team USA at 4CC.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, I do. It's a major international assignment, even if does not have the prestige of the Olympics or Worlds. It's not the US Classic.

Ross has many longtime fans (including you) and many newly won fans (including me) who would have loved to see him accept the Fed's appointment and represent Team USA one more time.

It is possible to think USFSA screwed him, and also to think he should have proudly been a part of Team USA at 4CC.

Fair enough. I share your view.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I get that it must sting for Ashley to not be on the team, although she did that to herself in a lot of ways, but really? It kind of seems like she's being a sore loser; I get when she'd WD from 4CC to prepare for worlds (although others do both...) but she doesn't have to deal with worlds and the Olympics this year, so to turn down 4CC makes her seem like she's upset she didn't get something better. I don't see why she would have anyway though...

Then again...didn’t she do something similar in 2010 when she fell short of the team then - pulled out of Jr Worlds or something?

Actually I think the poster who asked further questions about why she was in the Today Show studio may be onto something. I would be surprised if at a minimum, NBC didn’t at least pitch to her an opportunity to go to Korea anyway as one of their correspondents (whether she would accept or not is beside the point). If nothing else, this WD (especially after she claims she was training for a competition) furthers such speculation. Why take time out to fly across the country like that if you’re readying for another event?

Anyway we’ll soon see...