USFS Announces Three Withdrawals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

USFS Announces Three Withdrawals

shyne

Final Flight
I don't get why Tessa Hong is not getting a spot at Jr Worlds
She finsihed 10th at Nationals twice and is only 15 years old

I think Starr will be fine. I think she’ll put her focus on fixing her Lutz edge, getting her 3F+3T and improving her skating skills. Plus I get to see Emmy again, so that’s always a plus.

And also on her extension and finishing off her movements. Anyway, its great that now she is a fully fledged senior, so we can start bombarding her with suggestions for improvement. :)

Go Grant! Go Angela! Go Emmy!

frida80

Record Breaker
And also on her extension and finishing off her movements. Anyway, its great that now she is a fully fledged senior, so we can start bombarding her with suggestions for improvement. :)

Go Grant! Go Angela! Go Emmy!

Darn... I thought I had at least another year before that started.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Maybe this is really, really naive of me, but both Ross and Ashley are alternates for the Olympics, right? Could it be that they want to skip 4CC so that they can be in shape just on the off chance they get the call that someone is injured? I mean, I don't blame them if they are bummed about not making the team, especially Ross, but I feel like this is a dynamic that could be considered.

frida80

Record Breaker
I don't get why Tessa Hong is not getting a spot at Jr Worlds
She finsihed 10th at Nationals twice and is only 15 years old

Their using BOW on everyone now. Emmy got 3rd at her JGP and Tessa got 6th. Plus Emmy got a respectable 5th at Golden Spin.

frida80

Record Breaker
Maybe this is really, really naive of me, but both Ross and Ashley are alternates for the Olympics, right? Could it be that they want to skip 4CC so that they can be in shape just on the off chance they get the call that someone is injured? I mean, I don't blame them if they are bummed about not making the team, especially Ross, but I feel like this is a dynamic that could be considered.

But they’d already be in Asia. If they stayed in the area, it would easier to travel to make the games than it would hanging out in the US. But I think for Ashley at least, the competition would wear her out.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

Well Ashley makes sense since shes 1st alt, but Ross is 2ND ALT :sarcasm:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I don't blame Ross for withdrawing. Why bother? He isn't likely to want to compete for much longer anyway. He should do show skating. He has always been a crowd-pleaser. I hope he gets some assignments--in Japan. As for Ashley, I don't blame her, either. She will get GP assignments next year if she wants them. She doesn't need 4CCs. I foresee her getting a gig as the Today Show correspondent for the Olympics.

Totally agree with you here.

Ross' withdrawal does not surprise me. Under different circumstances Ross may have done 4CC but I think Ross feels dissed by his federation right know
so I don't blame him for not disrupting his life to travel all the way to Taipei, especially if he is calling it a day.

I was looking forward to seeing Ashley's La La Land program again, oh well.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've known about Starr not doing junior worlds since it's too close to 44cc and being replaced by Emmy from one of Emmy's coaches. Didn't know about Ross and they skate together.

Do you guys think ashley's goingto retire?

georgia

On the Ice
Interesting that both Miner and Wagner have withdrawn. For both of them, placing well at Four Continents would have supported the notion that they should have been on the Olympic team, but I suppose not making the team in the first place might have made them less interested or motivated in attending 4CC.

I also guess that both Miner and Wagner are likely going to retire (this withdrawal seems to signal that) so making 4CC their last competition might seem superfluous to them, and they might as well give their place to other skaters from the US who might want more exposure on the international senior circuit.

Ashley doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone! The most decorated skater of the last ten years has to go to 4CC to prove her worth to whom?

prettykeys

Medalist
Good for them. Burning all bridges is one way to show commitment to a new path.

If I were USFSA, I'd remove them from any alternate positions for Olympics and/or Worlds. Just to complete the circle.
Good lord, that'd be incredibly petty and vindictive.

I'm glad whatever throne you might imagine yourself sitting in is only imaginary.

These skaters have dedicated their entire lives to a demanding, public sport...they will have mental and emotional ups and downs, and moments of rock-bottom morale. If their heart isn't into an assignment, one graceful and gracious thing is do is to notify the relevant parties of their withdrawal, the earlier the better. An extension of good will and empathy is a valid alternative to the vitriol that seems to be piling up from the same posters over and over again across several different threads.

Nathan13

Medalist
But they’d already be in Asia. If they stayed in the area, it would easier to travel to make the games than it would hanging out in the US. But I think for Ashley at least, the competition would wear her out.

Do Alternates to the Oly team go to Pyeongchang? I saw a promo for Team USA and Jason was talking about what in Korea he was most looking forward to (awkward). I didn't think they did (Emily Hughes didn't initially) but that video confused me, unless it was recorded before Nationals.

EDIT: By alternates going to Pyeongchang, I mean if they aren't called up do they go anyway?

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I'm glad to see Emmy Ma get a chance at JWC. Disappointed not see all three compete, although I certainly understand Starr's decision especially. It's a big competition, she's already done JWC once, might as well focus on going senior and call it a day.

edit: And I don't know how I forgot Grant! I'm SO happy he'll be at 4CC. He totally deserves it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do Alternates to the Oly team go to Pyeongchang? I saw a promo for Team USA and Jason was talking about what in Korea he was most looking forward to (awkward). I didn't think they did (Emily Hughes didn't initially) but that video confused me, unless it was recorded before Nationals.

EDIT: By alternates going to Pyeongchang, I mean if they aren't called up do they go anyway?

That has either changed or is sport-dependent. I remember Emily, but I know the men's gymnastic alternates in London made the trip and the female gymnastic alternates made the trip to Rio and continued training, but in a different place than the rest of the team. That's the only sport I follow other than figure skating to say for sure.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good lord, that'd be incredibly petty and vindictive.

I'm glad whatever throne you might imagine yourself sitting in is only imaginary.

These skaters have dedicated their entire lives to a demanding, public sport...they will have mental and emotional ups and downs, and moments of rock-bottom morale. If their heart isn't into an assignment, one graceful and gracious thing is do is to notify the relevant parties of their withdrawal, the earlier the better. An extension of good will and empathy is a valid alternative to the vitriol that seems to be piling up from the same posters over and over again across several different threads.

Well, I guess that's one way to think about it.

Another is that they dedicate their entire lives to actually COMPETE in a demanding, public sport. To cavalierly toss away a Tier 2 event to the great disappointment of the fanbase they've so carefully cultivated... whatever.

I view this as a flip-off. To the Fed, to the fans, to the sport.

I've already acknowledged that they both must be disappointed, but it reeks of "I'm just taking my ball and going home" unsportsmanship. Just my opinion, of course. But on my imaginary throne, that's the one that really matters.

I wish them well on future endeavors. As I do you.

slider11

Medalist
Really excited to see Angela Wang at 4CCs! Perhaps Ross and Ashley have better things ahead and I wish them well. It would have been nice to see LaLa Land again butlike the movie not every story has the perfect ending.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Ashley doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone! The most decorated skater of the last ten years has to go to 4CC to prove her worth to whom?

Well apparently she didn't prove herself to the selection committee as she's not on the team. If she places well at 4CC, she can show to the selection committee that they were short-sighted and that they should have considered her body of work more, just as they did for Rippon. As I've noted before, I think Karen was overscored in PCS, enough that Wagner would have gotten bronze.

Beyond that, she could also use 4CC as another practice run for her La La Land program and debut it internationally, because she IS the first alternate to the Olympics. If Tennell, Chen, or Nagasu are injured for whatever reason, she would be more prepared and have the judges become accustomed to the program.

concorde

Medalist
No surprise about Ashley - remember she does not "do" 4CC.

I am very happy for both Grant and Angela!