USFS Announces Three Withdrawals | Page 5 | Golden Skate

USFS Announces Three Withdrawals

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The majority of the public doesn't know that Four Continents exists. Most people I know think that there are three figure skating competitions: Nationals and Worlds every year and the Olympics once every four years. A skater skipping a competition that they don't know actually exists is literally not going to be on the radar of the general public in order for them to get offended by it.

Oh, don't you just know NBC is going to resurrect the whole damn thing at the Olympics, especially now that Mirai is on the team and Ashley is not?

Johnny and Tara will roll in the drama of Ashley blowing off the nationals gala and flipping the bird to USFSA on 4CC...

And, to be fair, I've thrown my share of shade Ashley's way... but I'm not on national television doing it. Johnny and Tara will be.

Barb

Record Breaker
omg, w..t..f with the title of the thread? the suspense, I did not want open it thinking about the Shibs :sad21: :drama: :roll5:

shyne

Final Flight
Why wouldn't the skaters just stay in that general time zone after the event? Pretty sure for Russia a bunch of skaters went to that Gerald time zone much earlier then when the event started.

Sktaers from US and Canada have to pay for that expense, out their own pockets.
And it's very difficult to get ice time when you are not local.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know Ross and Ashley must be deep down or not deep down hurting but I think it is foolish they did not take the chance to skate at 4CC's but that is now under the bridge. I would have liked to see Ashley do her best at 4ccs besides she still could be called on if not the Olympics but worlds.

And for Ross not to take this chance. While he may want to go out on "top" with the silver he had nothing to really lose

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I find such a pity that 4CC is not seen as a must-go competition. There is so much talent who has not a chance to go to Worlds or Olys, so a little bit more of a positive exposure and interest in a medal here would be so great for them. Also even for those big stars who get to World/oly would be nice to have the titles form 4CC added as a big success like an European title is. I would like to hear about so and so having 7 wins in 4CC as something special, worth to be emulated by the youngster and giving special status.

lappo

Final Flight
I find such a pity that 4CC is not seen as a must-go competition. There is so much talent who has not a chance to go to Worlds or Olys, so a little bit more of a positive exposure and interest in a medal here would be so great for them. Also even for those big stars who get to World/oly would be nice to have the titles form 4CC added as a big success like an European title is. I would like to hear about so and so having 7 wins in 4CC as something special, worth to be emulated by the youngster and giving special status.

I agree with you but for this to happen they should change the calendar of the competition because, as many others pointed out, it is one thing for skaters to move in Europe, when the max distance is 3-4 hours flight and another to move across continents, losing so much time and ice training and dealing with jet lag, with worlds at such short distance. Giving 4CC better exposure (more top contenders going etc...) would also be beneficial to expand and develop FS in countries with a recent figure skating history.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So much shade on Ross and especially Ashley already… before we even know why they withdraw. At least I haven’t seen interviews with them talking about it and their plans.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I agree with you but for this to happen they should change the calendar of the competition because, as many others pointed out, it is one thing for skaters to move in Europe, when the max distance is 3-4 hours flight and another to move across continents, losing so much time and ice training and dealing with jet lag, with worlds at such short distance. Giving 4CC better exposure (more top contenders going etc...) would also be beneficial to expand and develop FS in countries with a recent figure skating history.

Wouldn't it be also necessary to move earlier the national championship (USA and Canada) to make place for an earlier 4CC?

lappo

Final Flight
Wouldn't it be also necessary to move earlier the national championship (USA and Canada) to make place for an earlier 4CC?

Yes, they should probably be earlier but I think it is not very wise in terms of attendance to have them on the Christmas time (like Japan and Russia do) because people are usually having time with family and are probably unwilling to travel to see competitions or even watch them. A feasible solution would be to move the competition after the worlds, maybe.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I think the only time when it clashes so badly with other competitions is in the Oly year. The rest three years is still time till Worlds. Perhaps in Oly year, just move it after Worlds?

Yes, they should probably be earlier but I think it is not very wise in terms of attendance to have them on the Christmas time (like Japan and Russia do) because people are usually having time with family and are probably unwilling to travel to see competitions or even watch them. A feasible solution would be to move the competition after the worlds, maybe.

But if U.S. Nationals were just before the Christmas holiday, the USFSA could promote the event as wholesome family entertainment, etc. It would be out of the way before the big football games.

zebobes

Final Flight
I'm disappointed that I don't get to see Ashley live in two weeks, but I'm honestly not surprised.

I can't but help compare the way Ashley is handling this compared to Mirai. Four years ago, Mirai went to Taipei, and the way she has battled through the past few years back onto the Olympic team has been so impressive. I know Ashley is in a different place than Mirai was four years ago, but still, her turning up her nose at competitions isn't a great look.

On the other hand, I'm glad Angela gets the chance to prove herself and hopefully get a good enough season's best/ranking points to get two Grand Prixs next year. Go Angela!

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good lord, that'd be incredibly petty and vindictive.

If their heart isn't into an assignment, one graceful and gracious thing is do is to notify the relevant parties of their withdrawal, the earlier the better.

I agree that the USFSA would look small and petty. I'd also rather a skater give up an assignment their heart is not in. There is definitely another skater who will value the exposure and opportunity.

I see nothing to be gained from a skater with mixed feelings about an event - see how Patrick Chan is struggling this year. It would be even more damaging for these skaters if they did not skate well.

slider11

Medalist
I am looking forward to the 4CCs and those emerging skaters who are hungry and ready to perform and succeed. It's a great peek into the next cycle!

desertskates

Medalist
With Ross, I totally get this. He is likely finished competing, and that skate at Nationals is one to feel extremely proud of. If he had a sub-par performance at 4CC it would just have him finishing on a blah note.
I'm not shocked about Ashley, but I am bummed. She had the chance to hold her head high and probably grab a medal at a major international competition. I would have loved to see how a well skated LLL would have been received by international judges and a knowledgeable Asian audience. Only she knows what's best, but I truly hope she's not just done.
Still looking forward to 4CC because Japanese ladies :luv17:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
But if U.S. Nationals were just before the Christmas holiday, the USFSA could promote the event as wholesome family entertainment, etc. It would be out of the way before the big football games.

You’re right, actually. That’s a good idea.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
4CC is actually pretty interesting because a lot of the top Asian skaters are opting to compete. With the men, Shoma, Takahito Mura, Han Yan and Boyang. And Satoko, Mai and Kaori in ladies.

Also expect lots of cute bro pics with a Jason, Grant, Shoma and Hanee.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4CC is actually pretty interesting because a lot of the top Asian skaters are opting to compete. With the men, Shoma, Takahito Mura, Han Yan and Boyang. And Satoko, Mai and Kaori in ladies.

Also expect lots of cute bro pics with a Jason, Grant, Shoma and Hanee.

I'm not a great follower of Japanese ladies, but don't they have Olympic selection riding on 4CC?

Or am I remembering that wrong?