2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - FS | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - FS

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Had no idea Brian had been relegated to commenting on figure skating. The news world did survive without him. lol

Lest anyone give credence to (and be confused by) what seems to be a "joke" at the expense of American news anchor Brian Williams, Canada's Brian Williams is not the same BW.

[Although the news world could survive without American journalist Brian Williams, it does not have to. He eventually was allowed to return to anchoring for MSNBC (his professional home before NBC Nightly News), where he remains to this day.]

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
What is the difference between an infraction and a warning?

From my understanding:

A warning is a message alerting you that the activities you're engaging in are toeing the line of what's acceptable. If you continue to act this way you will get an infraction.

An infraction is a strike for going against forum rules and guidelines. You can get a maximum of 3 before you're banned. They take at least a month to expire.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Yasss congrats Gabby!!!!! :clap:

Good skate by Osmond but she needed a loss to motivate her and Gabby is now back in the Olympic medal convo. :)

Alaine deserves the spot Baes on BOW but Austman was way more solid. They should duke it out at 4CC for the 3rd spot.

I like the idea of Kaetlyn clearing the way for a 1-2 podium placement this year and in 2022 a Gabby gold medal. ;-)

I'm only starting to get caught up in watching - decided on Ladies first...and to mention only my 2 highlights.

Kaetlyn Osmond – each outing I find brings more depth and edginess in this Black Swan program. It seems I am one of the few here who finds her interpretation real and compelling, presenting throughout the entire program the power of its concept that matches the power of her skating. I didn't feel a let-up at any point, even with the two jump errors. These errors couldn't be ignored, especially considering the skate that followed her, but the quality of the rest of the jump content, spins and footwork was, in my mind, quite brilliant. I’ll go with: Save the skates of your life for Olympics! :hap10:
Re comments on her flutz. I didn’t see it as "obvious" from the TV camera angle (I didn’t look at it in slo-mo) but like many other flutzers, the position of this jump I think is strategically placed so what shows on the official competition camera makes it difficult for the Tech Panel to conclude a definitive call of ‘e’. I’d go with ‘!’.

Gabrielle Daleman – wow, wow, wow – that was a terrific 20[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday gift from you to all of us fans! A well-deserved win! From start to finish this was confidence personified with incredible energy and solid jumps that flew. If I had any criticism is that for some of the middle portion in the program I felt it was presented in a ‘get on with business’ fashion, but maybe that’s picky and unfair because her skate was enthusiastically brought home with a high-impact and emotional step sequence. I am so happy she’s back in good form after surgery last summer. Hearty congrats, Gabby! :yahoo: :rock:
By the way, does anyone know for sure how Gabrielle spells her nickname? I've seen Gaby, Gabby, Gabi, Gabbie...

Inflated Scoring – yes. I don’t get worked up at mark inflation of any country’s nationals so long as the placement looks right, which IMO was in this event; caveat being I'm watching videos and wasn't there to see it live.

TSN Commentating – the TSN TV coverage is created/shown for viewers in Canada only (disregarding bootleg streaming, which we ALL appreciate!) so there will be bias expressed and syrupy gushing over Canada’s prospects for and at the Olympics. That’s their job and IMO it’s quite legitimate to discuss both Gabby and Kaetlyn as Olympic podium potential, even if the OGM isn’t an odds-on probability.

My 2¢…and no doubt for many: YMMV

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Gabby was on fiyaaahhhh!

I love that Kaetlyn's black swan program improves with every outing. It's gonna be awesome at the Olympics. :D

It hurts like hell as a Kaetlyn fan that Gabby has to lose for Kaetlyn to win. If anybody wants to talk about unfair, start there. :-(

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread is about the Canadian Ladies Free Skate. Please refrain from discussing other countries, politics, conspiracy theories, etc. which is considered "off topic/hijacking" and leads to bickering. Said posts have just been removed.

Last edited:

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm only starting to get caught up in watching - decided on Ladies first...and to mention only my 2 highlights.

Kaetlyn Osmond – each outing I find brings more depth and edginess in this Black Swan program. It seems I am one of the few here who finds her interpretation real and compelling, presenting throughout the entire program the power of its concept that matches the power of her skating. I didn't feel a let-up at any point, even with the two jump errors. These errors couldn't be ignored, especially considering the skate that followed her, but the quality of the rest of the jump content, spins and footwork was, in my mind, quite brilliant. I’ll go with: Save the skates of your life for Olympics! :hap10:
Re comments on her flutz. I didn’t see it as "obvious" from the TV camera angle (I didn’t look at it in slo-mo) but like many other flutzers, the position of this jump I think is strategically placed so what shows on the official competition camera makes it difficult for the Tech Panel to conclude a definitive call of ‘e’. I’d go with ‘!’.

Gabrielle Daleman – wow, wow, wow – that was a terrific 20[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday gift from you to all of us fans! A well-deserved win! From start to finish this was confidence personified with incredible energy and solid jumps that flew. If I had any criticism is that for some of the middle portion in the program I felt it was presented in a ‘get on with business’ fashion, but maybe that’s picky and unfair because her skate was enthusiastically brought home with a high-impact and emotional step sequence. I am so happy she’s back in good form after surgery last summer. Hearty congrats, Gabby! :yahoo: :rock:
By the way, does anyone know for sure how Gabrielle spells her nickname? I've seen Gaby, Gabby, Gabi, Gabbie...

Inflated Scoring – yes. I don’t get worked up at mark inflation of any country’s nationals so long as the placement looks right, which IMO was in this event; caveat being I'm watching videos and wasn't there to see it live.

TSN Commentating – the TSN TV coverage is created/shown for viewers in Canada only (disregarding bootleg streaming, which we ALL appreciate!) so there will be bias expressed and syrupy gushing over Canada’s prospects for and at the Olympics. That’s their job and IMO it’s quite legitimate to discuss both Gabby and Kaetlyn as Olympic podium potential, even if the OGM isn’t an odds-on probability.

My 2¢…and no doubt for many: YMMV

it's gabby. her insta is @gabby_daleman

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Of course Canada won't do that. Even if it were technically possible why would they bring to the picture another podium contender like Wakaba who could finish ahead of Canadian ladies? With the existing rules Canada earned 3 spots and Japan did not. The ultimate solution to let top-20 highest ranking ladies to compete without national quotas will never materialize. This year it would bring Ashley, Wakaba, and Mai - I mean those who have top-10 chances. For Russia it would be just Radionova who is not at her best these days. But in 2-3 years when current juniors turn senior it might mean many Russians at all big events. No chance ISU will go for it.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
HEY! That should’ve been my line! :rofl:

Did you ever know that you’re my herooooooooo....

For those of you who refer to posts like this as “trolling”, I consider them more of an outwards reflection of other users who actually write and/or BELIEVE that these narratives are 100% factual, warranted and legitimate. For this particular example, I’ve seen many here in the wild who think the Canadians or Americans should give a ladies spot to Japan, despite the fact that they were earned fair and square by both countries, as outlined in the official ISU criteria for the allocation of world and Olympic spots. Sorry Japan, I concur wholeheartedly that many of your ladies are phenomenal, but they simply didn’t pull it off last year, so that’s that, end of story. This shouldn’t even be up for discussion, and it’s like nails on a chalkboard every time I read another one of these comments. Who cares if Larkyn or Alaine aren’t anywhere near podium threats? Are the olympics only for the top handful of skaters in the world? No. That’s not how that works: not in the past, not currently, and not in the future. We already have a yearly competition for exactly that, perhaps you’ve heard of it: the Grand Prix Final?

I suppose all of you in favour of not sending a third Canadian lady also believe that the Nigerian women’s bobsled team are wasting their time going to Pyeongchang. Why even bother if they don’t have a chance to medal? How dare they?! Such audacity, who do they think they are, taking up spots in the Olympic village over a third or fourth or fifth Japanese figure skater?! :rolleye:

——————

It’s just like every time I make a quip about how David Pelletier is summoning me to the fridge. :laugh: It’s said in jest, simply to lighten the mood and poke fun at my own country, not to troll.

Considering I'm the only one who referred to this post as trolling you could have talked to me directly instead of calling me out, but fine. We also obviously don't have the same definition of lightening the mood. I don't think mocking people lightens the mood. To me it's trolling, to you it is not, to each their own.

Of course you have it easy right now. Canada is a country, that by playing the rules, has more spots than talent. There is no frustration, and it's easy to be reasonable. Now it will be interesting to see your opinion in the next years if the Japan situation ever happens to Canada. Will we see such a good natured attitude? Only time will tell.

To finish, the Olympics are all about bringing NATIONS together, individual stories matter less. To compare the THIRD Canadian lady, who is being carried to the Olympics by the wealth of her country (in money, training, support) withinn a strong team, to the Nigerian team, who probably faced so many hardships and for who it is an incredible achievement of just representing Nigeria on the biggest stage possible, in hopes of visibility and future program developments, is completely tone deaf. At best.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Considering I'm the only one who referred to this post as trolling you could have talked to me directly instead of calling me out, but fine. We also obviously don't have the same definition of lightening the mood. I don't think mocking people lightens the mood. To me it's trolling, to you it is not, to each their own.

Of course you have it easy right now. Canada is a country, that by playing the rules, has more spots than talent. There is no frustration, and it's easy to be reasonable. Now it will be interesting to see your opinion in the next years if the Japan situation ever happens to Canada. Will we see such a good natured attitude? Only time will tell.

To finish, the Olympics are all about bringing NATIONS together, individual stories matter less. To compare the THIRD Canadian lady, who is being carried to the Olympics by the wealth of her country (in money, training, support) withinn a strong team, to the Nigerian team, who probably faced so many hardships and for who it is an incredible achievement of just representing Nigeria on the biggest stage possible, in hopes of visibility and future program developments, is completely tone deaf. At best.

I'm sorry that this even needs to be a disagreement:

1. I don't think Sarah is ever trolling. I think your body of work (I know I should stop with that) on GS should matter. It is well established that Sarah jokes around in competition threads. It is never meant to be offensive. There are those of us who laugh at these kinds of situations and it is not meant to be a joke on the less fortunate.

2. Let's distinguish between unfairness within a system and "unfairness" as part of life. The former is what Sarah is referring to and she's absolutely correct. There were rules and Canada got its spots according to those rules which were set out in advance and all of the countries had a fair shot at. The fact that at this moment Japan has more talent and only two spots is lamentable (and a lot of us think so) but that's just life and cannot be attributed to anyone. A system is not meant to give us a result we will always love, it can only give us a framework that follows certain rules. That was done in this case.

3. Have and have nots. The resource arguments that we get into on this board are very tricky. Just by virtue of us being fans of a winter sport inequality will be a factor. How one deals with that unfortunate fact is up to the individual but complaining that one wealthy country (Canada) is somehow more privileged than another wealthy country (Japan) is grasping at straws. Canada has had to deal with its own share of figure skating heartbreak so I do not know what the endgame is. That Canadians are not empathetic? I've never known that to be true.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's the RDS (the French version of TSN) coverage of Gabrielle Daleman's LP, in case some of you might be interested in the French commentary.

LP: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dpren

LP kiss & cry: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dpqxw

Although I had filmed these with my camera (which creates 1080p videos) from my friend's TV screen, the quality is fairly good for this type of recording. I don't have a tripod, so I did my best not to move my hands as much as possible.

Unlike TSN, RDS chose to broadcast Sophie Larouche's LP: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6drrj4

Here's a summary of Alaine Chartrand's LP: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6du62j